post #61 of 65 Old 04-13-2010, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndurantz View Post

On this DVR unit, does the unit split the signal for the two tuners or do I need a splitter?

You don't need a splitter. Just plug the antenna in the antenna in jack in the back of the DVR. The guide that is on the DVR has only about 1 days worth of info. So if you want to copy something 2 days or more you will have to set the timer manually. The rest of the DVR works like a cable company DVR without the $100 a month fee.

It sounds like your router is interfering with your reception. The signal indicator should not flucuate that much. Most of my channels stay at the same strength. The OTA HD signal is the best signal available. Between OTA and DVDs I'll never go back to cable. I have saved a lot of money since I cut the cord 16 months ago.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 04-13-2010, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Other "wireless crap" would include anything that is receiving a wireless signal as well as anything that is transmitting a wireless signal?

If it is only receiving a wireless signal, no. But many wireless devices (e.g. laptop, etc.) transmit & receive.

Quote:

Ok. So I have been watching for a few hours and it seem that everything is working fine. I will move the router eventually, but too late tonight to do that. From what I can tell, the signal indicator on my TV fluctuates between full power and 1/3 signal, but never below that. Concerns with that?

The fluctuation could be multipath (multiple bounced signals hitting the antenna) or more interference. If it's only on VHF, it could be nearby FM radio station interference. As long as the tuner can handle the fluctuation without audio/video breakups (pixelization), it will not affect picture quality.

Quote:

1) How would I go about grounding the antenna?
2) The rubber sheath that can go over the coax connection on the antenna - is it essential or can I get by with electrical tape?
3) When I paint the house this summer, can I paint right over the antenna without being concerned of signal degradation?

1. Outdoor antenna masts and coax entry points should be grounded to your home's main electrical power ground source. Google: grounding TV antennas.
2. Can't tell from here. I use compression connectors that don't need tape. I do use boots that come with antenna baluns or preamps.
3. http://winegard.com/kbase/kb_tip_res...um=00000000263

Quote:

On this DVR unit, does the unit split the signal for the two tuners or do I need a splitter?

It splits the signal internally.
http://www.laaudiofile.com/dish_dtvpal_dvr.html

Depending on the TVGuide On Screen (TVGOS) data available in your city, this DVR's guide often provides several days' program information.
post #63 of 65 Old 04-13-2010, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

[quote=arxaw;18475993]1. Outdoor antenna masts and coax entry points should be grounded to your home's main electrical power ground source. Google: grounding TV antennas.

Ok. Did this search, but the illustrations are seriously lacking that I found. From what I can see, I need to run a wire from the antenna to the ground on the house's electrical ground and and insert an coax cable grounding block close to where the signal enters the house with a separate wire running to the electrical ground, also.

I am not using a mast. The antenna is hanging from two clips/hooks with the base of the antenna screwed directly into a couple of spacer blocks of wood that are a-fixed to the side of the house.

Would I put a ground wire on one of those screws - that would count as the first ground? Then, run the coax into the grounding block and then back into the house with a grounding wire attached to that block - that would count for the second ground?

Also, the antenna is on the front of the house and the electrical unit is on the back of the house. I have to run those two grounding wires all the way around the house to properly ground them or can I just install a grounding rod closer to the front of the house?

Thanks for all the help.

~ Seth D.

Main Home Audio/Video System:
Receiver - Marantz NR 1402
Speakers - Orb Mod 1s (5 channel)
Sub - Orb Super 8
TV - Vizio M501D-A2R
Blu-Ray - Sony BDP-S5100
CD/SACD/DVDA - Yamaha DVD C961
Media Center - Apple TV (Gen. 2) & Roku XS

Computer/2 Channel System:
DAC - FiiO Taishan
Pre-amp -...
post #64 of 65 Old 04-13-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

... can I just install a grounding rod closer to the front of the house?

I would never suggest doing that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_...electricity%29

Check your PMs.
post #65 of 65 Old 04-19-2010, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't moved the router yet, but the picture is great and has been stable enough in it's strength to provide quality viewing.

I really appreciate everyones help. I couldn't have done it without you all!!

~ Seth D.

Main Home Audio/Video System:
Receiver - Marantz NR 1402
Speakers - Orb Mod 1s (5 channel)
Sub - Orb Super 8
TV - Vizio M501D-A2R
Blu-Ray - Sony BDP-S5100
CD/SACD/DVDA - Yamaha DVD C961
Media Center - Apple TV (Gen. 2) & Roku XS

Computer/2 Channel System:
DAC - FiiO Taishan
Pre-amp -...