Monoprice indoor/outdoor antenna? (4730) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-10-2010, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone tried this indoor/outdoor antenna from Monoprice? any impressions? I think I am going to try it - the rabbit ears that I have right now are not consistent...seems a lot of people get good results with this even being used indoors...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-10-2010, 11:06 AM

Liked: 19
I wouldn't trust it since most of what it says is BS.

A)The HDA-5700 is specially designed for the new digital terrestrial broadcasts. Perfect for new HDTV's as an alternative to or accompanying other HD souces. This antenna will let you take full advantage of the built-in HD tuner in your TV. It receives the new ATSC DTV broadcasts mandated by law over VHF and UHF bandwidths.

ANY antenna can pick up ATSC signals. Even one 30 years old.

B)Specifications:
UHF 470-870 MHz
VHF 47-230 MHz

The main body of the unit, not including protrusion for connectors and mounts is about 4 3/16" wide x 7 9/16" high x 1 5/8 deep.

I'm currious how such a small antenna can pick up VHF signals especially low VHF. Unless the signal is pretty strong to begin with. In which case a simple set of rabbit ears would suffice.

C) The antenna features state-of-the-art low noise amplifier technology and circuits for the best reception

yet doesn't state the NF for the amp. If it's such low noise why not state what the NF is?
post #3 of 10 Old 04-10-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Welcome dasher123, I have good result with HDTV Indoor/Outdoor Antenna from monoprice product #4730 (model HDA-5700).
post #4 of 10 Old 04-10-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Welcome dasher123, I have good result with HDTV Indoor/Outdoor Antenna from monoprice product #4730 (model HDA-5700).

That's because you live close to the towers and have strong signals. ANY antenna would work. You could stick a paper clip in the RF connection and you'd get a signal.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-10-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

That's because you live close to the towers and have strong signals. ANY antenna would work. You could stick a paper clip in the RF connection and you'd get a signal.

Works great at five miles LOS.
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #6 of 10 Old 04-10-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've had good luck with Monoprice..give it a try, if it doesn't work, they will gladly take it back.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #7 of 10 Old 04-13-2010, 12:03 PM

Liked: 10
I am waiting for my antenna to arrive from them. I have high hopes based on the reviews from people. My current rabbit ears only pull in two HD channels, one of which constantly breaks up in the evening. I am hoping that because this antenna is amplified, it will pull all the HD channels in my area in clearly. NHL playoffs are starting tomorrow
post #8 of 10 Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 View Post

Has anyone tried this indoor/outdoor antenna from Monoprice? any impressions? I think I am going to try it - the rabbit ears that I have right now are not consistent...seems a lot of people get good results with this even being used indoors...

You should post your TV fool report and advise what channels you are looking for, then the experts here can steer you in the right direction

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
post #9 of 10 Old 04-13-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 View Post

I purchased one for my mother who lives ~15 miles from our antenna farm. I tried several style rabbit ears but they would all break up on one channel or another. This MP antenna works great and after getting the placement just right she has no breakups now.
I wouldn't normally think of amplifying a indoor antenna since basically the point of a amplifier is to overcome cable/splitter loss, both of which are not a factor in a simple indoor antenna, all I can say is it works for her.
Ya don't believe all the advertising hype, they are just going after people who don't know better and most is meaningless, but as long as it works I can look past it
post #10 of 10 Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 PM

Mine arrived today and it is a definite improvement over the rabbit ears I was using. With the rabbit ears, I pulled in the French CBC HD station here in Ottawa, and the English CBC HD, which would usually break up now and then at night. That was it. Other HD channels didn't come in, and the analog signals were unwatchable.

With the new antenna, I am pulling in almost all the HD channels available here, and the analog ones are much more watchable. I haven't even tried to find the best location for it yet in the living room.

I was a bit sad that the amplifier had to be plugged between the cable from the antenna and the TV to work, since I wanted to avoid having another thing plugged in at that end. But if it works, it works!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page