smallest HD set top box for Comcast? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-18-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We have a clean LCD TV install on our bedroom, meaning there is nothing visible on the wall except for the TV. And we want to keep it this way.

The problem is, since Comcast has now migrated most of the channels to digital, it is now necessary to have a set top box to receive them. So, is there a small HD set top box out there that I could just tape to the back of the TV? The standard Motorola HD box is just too big for this. I will also need something that will work with an infrared extender since the device would be out of sight.

I have the little DTA that Comcast offers, but it sucks because it has no HD output and will not output the local TV channels in HD. I know I can use a splitter and A/B switch to get around it, but then I'll have to manually reach behind the TV to do this A/B switching every single time I want to switch to local HD content, which I really do not want to do.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess I could also use an A/B switch with remote control capability, but that would probably require another power outlet which I do not have.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-18-2010, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
You'll have to check with your local office, as what's carried in any given area can vary.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 12 Old 04-18-2010, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

You'll have to check with your local office, as what's carried in any given area can vary.

Well, I know what the local office carries - the big Motorola bricks. I was hoping someone would suggest something that I could buy on ebay that would work with the Comcast service.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #4 of 12 Old 04-18-2010, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Even if you can find something - there is NO guarantee that Comcast would activate it, since it's probably "stolen" anyway....

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #5 of 12 Old 04-19-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Your best bet will be the Tru-2-way set back boxes that a few manufacturers are working on (including Panasonic). Some of them are proprietary though, and none of them are out at this time. Also you will have to wait for Tru-2-way to be activated in your area (it's only available in a few areas right now, including some areas in and around Chicago if that's where you are).

So until then you are pretty much stuck with the DTA box, or the big HD box.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-19-2010, 03:06 PM

Liked: 10
you might want to pester your local Comcast office for the RNG 110 HD box

it is small and light....we hid ours and use the IR remote eye....not sure about taping it to the HDTV
post #7 of 12 Old 04-19-2010, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Looks like the RNG110 box is 10" x 7" x 1.5" - will have to check if it'll fit behind the TV.

post #8 of 12 Old 04-20-2010, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got the RNG110. Was able to velcro it to the back of my 55" TV no problem. However, when it comes to HD channels, I am only able to receive the local ones. All the other HD channels are not coming through. Comcast doesn't know why... they're sending a technician to determine if the box is faulty or if it's a signal issue.

I have another box downstairs (a Motorola one) that picks up all these extra HD channels without a problem.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-21-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post

Got the RNG110. Was able to velcro it to the back of my 55" TV no problem. However, when it comes to HD channels, I am only able to receive the local ones. All the other HD channels are not coming through. Comcast doesn't know why... they're sending a technician to determine if the box is faulty or if it's a signal issue.

I have another box downstairs (a Motorola one) that picks up all these extra HD channels without a problem.

I had trouble activating the 110...Comcast sent a tech who activated it from his handheld....something about a code the central office was not using during activation

Glad to here you could attach it to your HDTV

The only thing you miss when you hide it is the yellow light which indicates a message from Comcast......having the Motorola box downstairs solves that problem
post #10 of 12 Old 04-21-2010, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mac View Post

The only thing you miss when you hide it is the yellow light which indicates a message from Comcast......

What are these messages all about? I never pay any attention to them. The message light on my Motorola box has been on for over a year now... lol.

post #11 of 12 Old 04-21-2010, 03:03 PM

the messages vary from new channels being added to Comcast help wanted ads
post #12 of 12 Old 09-22-2013, 01:33 PM

In our market they just added the ability to rent micro HD DTA's (Digital Transport Adapters). I just got two of them and took pictures of the whole process. The boxes are tiny (4"x3"x3/4" approximately). The give a great HD signal for our HDTV's. I documented the whole process here:
http://blog.trebacz.com/2013/09/comcast-xfinity-hd-udta-pace-dc60xu.html

there is also a YouTube video showing the setup process at:
http://youtu.be/z6tvUbli94U

I used one in our kitchen and a spare bedroom. I'm not sure of there availability in different markets. These DTA's get all the channels my DVR did, but are short a nice menu and favorite system.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page