'Hotwiring' antenna rotor? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-15-2010, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is one I have been meaning to ask for a while but never gotten around to it.

I have an old unknown vintage outdoor VHF/UHF antenna on my house complete with rotor and all. Neither of them I know the age or exact make and model of. All I know is it was sometime before we moved into this house which was 10 years ago. Nothing has any identifiable markings on it.

The antenna is good reception-wise. Last summer I climbed the tower and rewired it in a 'get by with what I've got' kind of way with a spliced balun at the base of the antenna where the VHF/UHF combiner sits and then a 40-50ft stretch of old RG59 into the house. With that said I get very reliable reception on my target DMA stations and even fringe pickup or cleveland stations, even though the antenna is pointed away from both DMAs (more specifically it is pointed in a more northeast/southwest direction when youngstown is south and cleveland is roughly west-northwest).

Which brings me to the point of my question. Hopefully sometime in the next couple weeks if weather cooperates I plan to replace the RG59 with some more substantial Quad-sheifl RG6 to hopefully cut down some multipath issues I'm having as well as strengthening reception from Cleveland. As stated I do not have any idea what make and model or age the rotor is (only thing I do know is the wiring is a quad conductor feed last I recall seeing and it was cut off not far below the rotor itself). I do not plan on using it since my desired stations are fairly well clustered from my perspective to keep the antenna pointed in one spot. But I would like to get it turned somehow to point more directly at Youngstown if I can (or Cleveland depending on signal strength. My thoughts being my proximity to youngstown might prove to be an overload to my equipment with a more directional aim, whereas that would come in handy for cleveland and the backside of the antenna could still get strong reception of youngstown stations. Am I correct on this theory?). With the old RG59 in place after I swap the RG6 in would I be able to somehow hotwire this into 2 specific conductors on the rotor just to have the motor spin with no specific destination and apply voltage at the other end long enough to get the antenna aimed where I want? As mentioned, I don't intend to make this permanent. Just enough to get the antenna reaimed once and be done with it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-15-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Most older rotors I have see run on 24-32 volts AC. Three connections to the motor are required with one being phase shifted through a capacitor.
To get more help on reception post a link to your location's signal strength from TVFool and a picture of your present setup.
John
post #3 of 13 Old 05-15-2010, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well here's my tvfool reading to start: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cd72df8a6d6d73

I'll try and get a shot of the antenna from ground level later as I'm not home right now.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-15-2010, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

When I read the topic title, I thought someone wanted to run cable to a neighbors rotor, and control it from their house......

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #5 of 13 Old 05-15-2010, 05:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vchat20 View Post

would I be able to somehow hotwire this into 2 specific conductors on the rotor just to have the motor spin with no specific destination and apply voltage at the other end long enough to get the antenna aimed where I want?

All the TV rotors I've used are three wire. There was no capacitor in the controller. It appears one terminal is common, one for CW rotation, and the other for CCW.

If you want to play with it take it down and try connecting it to a 24-volt transformer. I replaced a Radio Shack controller several years ago and the new one ran rotor in reverse. Was too lazy to figure out how to wire it correctly. A single pole double throw (SPDT) switch ought to work fine for controlling the rotor. Just be careful not to run it too long against either stop.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-15-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschmidt View Post

All the TV rotors I've used are three wire. There was no capacitor in the controller. It appears one terminal is common, one for CW rotation, and the other for CCW.

If you want to play with it take it down and try connecting it to a 24-volt transformer. I replaced a Radio Shack controller several years ago and the new one ran rotor in reverse. Was too lazy to figure out how to wire it correctly. A single pole double throw (SPDT) switch ought to work fine for controlling the rotor. Just be careful not to run it too long against either stop.

This is what I was kinda hoping for. I can't remember if it was 3 or 4 wire but if the former I can go ahead and try this. If I can't find anyone with an old controller around here I can easily find a 24VAC transformer with a couple amps of current and go from there. Again, not planning to make it a permanent setup, just enough to get the antenna rotated to my desired aim. If the rotor dies in the process, a small casualty I'm not gonna miss.

I did get a chance to go outside again and check the aiming of the antenna. No photo though, camera's on the fritz. Our house is right about square N,S,E,W according to google maps so it makes a good reference and indeed the antenna is pointing with the frontend facing about southwest and the back northeast. While Youngstown is about SSE and Cleveland about WNW.

post #7 of 13 Old 05-16-2010, 07:53 AM

Loosen the ubolts and reaim.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-16-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkxmlr View Post

Loosen the ubolts and reaim.

+1 - assuming they are not rusted frozen

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #9 of 13 Old 05-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

that would be the Armstrong brand of rotor.

actually better for this case, a tv rotor that may not have a rapid brake may be more work to aim with rotor than by loosening either the mast or antenna and giving a spin. digital takes 30 to 60 seconds to see affect also, would be time consuming to jog with a rotor.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-27-2013, 06:00 PM

i have seen my sky king su-2000 full automatic antenna rotator, there is a capacitor on the controller 7 microfarad 50 volts. thanks.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-27-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Is this relevant for a three year old post?
post #12 of 13 Old 02-05-2014, 03:04 PM

Liked: 11

Sure is. Information is timeless.This thread just answered my question.:) 

Tschmidt likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-10-2014, 09:21 AM

Finding technical info about TV rotors can be a challenge. I found a Radio Shack schematic when I was troubleshooting mine, it that was a great help.

Agree with the other posters that typical rotor is a 2-phase motor. Controller switches between them to change direction. A capacitor is used to provide phase shift. As far as I can tell uP controllers simply replace the mechnical switch with relays and count power line cycles to maintain sync.

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page