Sampo-34WHD6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-14-2002, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Buy.com is sending me the Sampo -34HD5 but I have decided to "refuse" delivery (they sent it two days after I cancelled the order) and wait for the model SME-WDH6 coming out in a few weeks. Does anybody know anything about the SME-WHD6? I have been able to find very small amounts of information on the new model, but, I have a gut feeling that I'll be happy with the WHD6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-14-2002, 07:04 PM

Yup, here.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-15-2002, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Will it also be able to do PAL natively? If so, it's a winner.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #4 of 10 Old 03-22-2002, 09:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Checked in with Jim at Sampo to clear up a few questions on the 34WHD6, to see if I would consider replacing my 34WHD5 sometime down the road.

This new set has been discussed in other threads, but I thought I'd just state the new answers he gave me that clarified some additional items for me and might help others.

(1) The new user remote has "direct access" buttons to select the input source. But it still doesn't have geometry settings capability for A/V inputs... only the HDTV inputs. In other words you will still need the service remote if you want to stretch/squeeze, rotate, etc., for the RCA and S-VHS inputs.

(2) There are actually two S-VHS inputs, one still remaining on the front and a new one now on the back.

(3) The Panasonic data-grade H3 tube is being used, not the Toshiba as we used in the 34WHD5. This is supposed to eliminate the problem of slight darkness (or smudgy look) on the very left and right in 16:9. However he was not sure the new tube would also cure a problem I described, of "compression" at the left and right (especially noticeable in 4:3 A/V mode when you have the CNBC stock ticker running across the bottom of the screen).

(4) There are now individual preset memories for each of the inputs. So S-VHS(1) can have different settings than S-VHS(2), YPbPr(1) can have different settings than YPbPr(2), etc.

(5) There is a very high-quality (DSC, I believe) line doubler built in.

(6) They still have not received their preview sets, but they're expected in April. He didn't think the sets would be available retail until June.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-23-2002, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
What about native PAL?

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #6 of 10 Old 03-23-2002, 12:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
What about native PAL?
Sorry... never asked that question.

But I did also ask him about the color, silver vs. black. He said it would still be silver. No black available.

And there are also better internal speakers and improved audio, including SRS. There still will be a built-in sub-woofer.

But there are still no external speaker terminals or "external speaker" audio mode (for routing the TV's amplifier output to external speakers). He said they concentrated on the video/image for the monitor, not the audio. The expectation is certainly that you will have your own high-quality external sound anyway, and most users would generally turn the TV's audio off (i.e. 1). No need was seen for feeding TV-proximity external speakers from the TV itself, so better to save on cost and weight.

Speaking of weight, he said it would actually be heavier than the current model (191 pounds). He said it's going to be over 200 pounds, owing mostly to the Panasonic tube.

Otherwise, he believes the set will physically be just about the same size as the current 34WHD5. Initial retail price should be just about what the 34WHD5 was. I think it started at around $2700 before dropping, at least that's what I paid for my 34WHD5 (direct from Sampo) last April and that was about the same as DealsDirect was asking.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-24-2002, 09:43 AM

Pier Paolo,

Tell us what happened with buy.com. Restocking charges, shipping?

Some time ago I cancelled an order with onecall. They told me it had shipped, of course. No way for me verify. It was "returned" en route, without even being delivered or refused. Shipping was free. I don't believe shipping was more than $80 anyway for curb delivery, otherwise they could not offer free delivery. $80 x 2 = $160, at worse that what they should have charge me. They hit me with a $400 charge for whatever reason, shipping, restocking, bad customer charge, etc. The box was not opened. I disputed the thing with my credit card company, but they were unwilling to help. The merchant would have charge me $800 for "restocking" that they still would not be able to help, they said. The moral of that story is always use American Express on the net. I had a similar problem with a different merchant and I got a full refund. Then I paid Amex with a visa convenience check.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-31-2002, 05:11 AM
KTF

The internal line doubler sounds good but I also recall that the 34WHD5 lacked a couple of the zoom/stretch modes that the more consumer oriented 34" sets have. I recall that the "zoom a little, crop a little" mode was not in the HD5 and while some argue that this mode is a travesty I think its a reasonable way to watch 4:3 content.

I am very interested in this set as a family TV. I plan to use my HTPC when I am watching it so I have the line doubleing (de-interlacing) covered but I really need a good story for the rest of the family. This includes the basic zoom/stretch modes to watch regular 4:3 stuff.

Anyone know if this is planned for the HD6?

Ken
post #9 of 10 Old 04-21-2002, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Alan Clore,
Buy.com refunded my money a couple of weeks after I found out about the charge on my card. The "credit-processing" department at buy.com sent the credit. I found it a little anoying that buy.com shipped the item more than 48 hours after I cancelled, and that they charged it a month after I refused delivery. I am one of their regular customers because I like ther prices and their prompt delivery, but, I couldn't find a telephone number to call to speak with a "live" person about my order. I am not sure that I will order anything from them that's worth more than a thousand dollars.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-04-2002, 11:01 PM
tji
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I noticed the 34WHD6 listed in this
Consumer Electronics guide.

But, under the unit's capabilities, they list 1080p..

I assume this is a typo. Has Sampo posted detailed specs for this set yet?
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page