Multiple TVs off DirecTV DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2010, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to be able to connect 2 or 3 TV's off of a single DirecTV DVR. I know I will have to watch the same thing on all TVs but that is not a problem. All TVs will be HD with HDMI connections. The most important one is next to the DVR and I will use HDMI, the farthest one is about 150 feet.

I will certainly need a splitter of some sort. Does it have to be amplified? I don't think I can snake a pre-terminated HDMI cable where I want. Do they sell wire that you can add the plugs to? (I don't think so). Can I use CAT 5 or 6?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Try here - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
You very well may have issues @ 150' with HDMI. The longest HDMI cable I've seen with anyone having success with it is this one from monoprice, which has equalizers built in to compensate for the length, however, monoprice's own description states "*NOTE: Direct TV users - HDMI cables at this length may not be compatible with your device."

You may want to look at using component for the longest run, or perhaps HDMI over cat 6 or 6a converters. If you just have two TV's to hook up, you could use HDMI for the close one and component for the long one, and you wouldn't need any type of HDMI splitter/switcher, as all outputs are active at the same time on the DirecTV receiver.

Matt

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11
Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 PM

Liked: 10
It'll cost more, of course, but to run it 150 feet, I'd just go with an additional HD receiver and DirecTV's DECA SWiM or my own Ethernet. That way, length shouldn't be a problem, and you can also control both playback and recording from the remote TV. It will also let you watch two different recorded programs from the same DVR at the same time.