HELP! Trying to connect my new Directv with whole home DVR to the internet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-09-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why do I have to pay Directv $95 to professionally connect my new Directv system to the internet? I have a brand new HR24-500 receiver in my living room and a H24-100 receiver in my master bedroom. I just activated whole home DVR service and it is working great. So then I connect an ethernet cable from my router to the HR-24 unit and run a system test and the internet doesn't work. To make a long story short I spend 3-4 hours on the phone with tech support for my router (linksys WRT400N) only to find out the problem is with the receiver. After further research I call Directv and ask them and they say that thers is a $25 connection fee which is fine but that I must also order pro install bringing my total to just under $100 (not that important to me). Anyway, I did a little more research then thought I may need a DECA but come to find out my receiver is already compatible with DECA built into it. Someone please tell me where I am missing the boat. What does Directv have to come and do that I can't do myself to get my internet working on my receiver. Placing an ethernet cable between the DVR and the router was easy enough but its not working. Someone please tell me what I need to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-09-2010, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rma0509 View Post

Why do I have to pay Directv $95 to professionally connect my new Directv system to the internet? I have a brand new HR24-500 receiver in my living room and a H24-100 receiver in my master bedroom. I just activated whole home DVR service and it is working great. So then I connect an ethernet cable from my router to the HR-24 unit and run a system test and the internet doesn't work. To make a long story short I spend 3-4 hours on the phone with tech support for my router (linksys WRT400N) only to find out the problem is with the receiver. After further research I call Directv and ask them and they say that thers is a $25 connection fee which is fine but that I must also order pro install bringing my total to just under $100 (not that important to me). Anyway, I did a little more research then thought I may need a DECA but come to find out my receiver is already compatible with DECA built into it. Someone please tell me where I am missing the boat. What does Directv have to come and do that I can't do myself to get my internet working on my receiver. Placing an ethernet cable between the DVR and the router was easy enough but its not working. Someone please tell me what I need to do?

It's not clear from your post where you are using DECA and where not.
You can't use DECA and the ethernet connection at the same time on the HR24. You need to connect a DECA module (with power supply) to your router. http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137 has everything you needed to know about MRV.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-03-2010, 07:09 AM

Liked: 10
I had similar thoughts. I'd like to connect my system to the internet, but it's not worth $100 to me.
I was able to get my dvr connected to the internet by unplugging the dvr and dsl modem, then connecting the two, and then power both back up. Then I let the ran though the dvr setup menu and it connected automatically. On the down side this took away the multi room dvr viewing.
From what I've read, the whole-home dvr uses your coax to connect your receivers. Once you connect the dvr to the internet, it wants to change over to your homes internet network. So if you connect 1 to the internet, you will need to connect them all to that network.
I'm not sure how the professional installer makes that connection. Maybe he installs something that allows for that network to run through the homes coax?
post #4 of 5 Old 07-04-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The DECA network for MRV runs through the same coax as the sat signal. Then you connect an additional DECA module, with power supply, between the coax network and your internet router, to get access to the internet.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rmike View Post

I had similar thoughts. I'd like to connect my system to the internet, but it's not worth $100 to me.
I was able to get my dvr connected to the internet by unplugging the dvr and dsl modem, then connecting the two, and then power both back up. Then I let the ran though the dvr setup menu and it connected automatically. On the down side this took away the multi room dvr viewing.
From what I've read, the whole-home dvr uses your coax to connect your receivers. Once you connect the dvr to the internet, it wants to change over to your homes internet network. So if you connect 1 to the internet, you will need to connect them all to that network.
I'm not sure how the professional installer makes that connection. Maybe he installs something that allows for that network to run through the homes coax?

What receivers are you trying to use for MRV? I should work is all of the receivers are wired connection to the router. This method is unsupported by DirecTV, but can be authorized by going through the proper routine with DirecTV. I've been running 3 HR20's through my router without a problem since the Beta program and rarely have had any issues.

The professional install will use DECA units at each unit (except the H24/HR24 which have built-in) and the router which is an entirely different connection scheme with some speed advantages, but requires additional equipment and it seems to more unstable so far (it's still new tech) and many installers still are unsure about what equipment is necessary for the individual setups.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page