Comcast Triple Bundle 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have been with Comcast for 10 years. They take away things from us, and charge us more.

Currently, we get the Basic package, 1 HD box, 1 standard box(65 SD Channels, 30 HD Channels), Unlimited Local and Long Distance Phone, and 6.0mbps "high speed" internet. (It is supposed to be 12.0)

Our service sucks!!!! Internet constantly goes out, TV is constantly distorted. Phone works ok but randomly get a bunch of beeping noises, like theres interference from somewhere?

We live in the middle of nowhere so our options are Dish, DTV, and Comcast.

Should I make the move to Directv? Dish isnt an option. I would have already had Directv, but the price I was quoted wasnt the price I was actually going to get.

I was quoted as getting Choice Xtra(220 SD, 70 HD), plus the Sports Pack (40 more channels), plus 4 boxes(2 HD, 2 SD), plus Unlimited Local/Long Distance and 6.0mbps Internet thru AT&T for $110 a mo 1st year and $140 a mo 2nd year. Well after I agreed they told me it would be $130 first year, and $170 2nd year so I said screw it and cancelled the order.

Still, even after Directv pissed me off to no end, I hate comcast so much that I still wanna switch.

Do you recommend the switch? If so, why? i would like to hear from former or current customers of 1 or both, and hear why you perfer which.

Also, im a huge sports buff, so all I really care about is sports in HD. Hows the quality of those on DTV??

It seems like a no brainer on paper(but I still would love input.....I can only find input from 2008 on the forums, so those arent helping)

Heres the option:

Comcast:
60 SD
30 HD
1 HD box
1 Standard Box
6.0mbps Internet
Unlimited Local/Long Distance
Price(before taxes and fees) - $150

Direct/ATT:
220 SD
70 HD
4 Boxes
Sports package(30 HD, 10 SD)
6.0mbps Internet
Unlimited Local/Long Distance
Price(before taxes and fees) - $130
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I have the same combo. I have an AT&T bundle with my local phone, unlimited long distance, 6mbps internet, and DirecTV. My DirecTV plan is basically their highest plan without any premium channels plus HD and DVR service. I get a $10/month credit from AT&T on my DirecTV service and discounted long distance and internet. In total I pay about $90 for phone and internet and $70 for DirecTV for just one DVR.

I'd say you are getting a pretty good deal once you add in your 3 extra boxes and the sports package. Unlike Comcast, in my case and maybe yours as well, there are no taxes or fees involved with D*.

If you need a referral then send me a PM and I'll hook you up. You can get an extra $100 off as ten $10 monthly credits.

post #3 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 01:44 PM

I am currently using DirecTV for video and Comcast for voice\\data. I have been a DTV customer for a long time, but I do like to try out other offerings when I am at other peoples houses. I am sticking with DTV from a tech\\content point, and complain about every other year or so to keep the price down. My DSL was nice, but I will take a bit of latency to give me the bandwidth I get with Comcast. So far I have not seen any other TV content offerings that match DTV from both a hardware and content point of view. On occasion someone will get close but does not always stay there.

Another big point for DTV is this- I trust me to keep my dish pointed and clean. Most of the problems I had with cable were off my property and something I could not do anything about. I like the fact that I do not have to be at the mercy of the line coming to the home.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
No offense but this comes up constantly, a little searching and reading will turn up plenty of data and opinions on these carriers. It's also difficult to compare Comcast on a national level because their services and quality vary from location to location.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 242
And future reference for forums:
D* is DirecTV
E* is Dish
DTV is Digital TV (antenna/OTA)
post #6 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
SECgator- when did you graduate?
post #7 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECgators View Post

Our service sucks!!!! Internet constantly goes out, TV is constantly distorted. Phone works ok but randomly get a bunch of beeping noises, like theres interference from somewhere?

You need to call Comcast and have them fix the service issues. It may take more than one service call, but be persistent, and be nice.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #8 of 13 Old 06-15-2010, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I have OTA and AT&T's 1.5 mbps DSL and local phone for $47. I haven't had any problems with their DSL and 1.5 mbps is fast enough to watch streaming video. With AT&T's DSL you have access to ESPN360.com where you can watch college football and other sports that the ESPN channels show for free.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #9 of 13 Old 06-15-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Bryan, Thank You for a proper response I was looking for -- And $160 seems high for what you are getting.

Seal, I agree. Thank You

Mjones, I found a few articles like this, but they werent from 2010. We both can agree service changes on a month to month basis, I can only imagine over a 2 year period what would happen.

Ratman, Thanks for that. Its my first time hitting this form up.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-15-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECgators View Post

Bryan, Thank You for a proper response I was looking for -- And $160 seems high for what you are getting.

I think I pay less than you do right now. My totals are with all taxes and fees included. I also get another $20 off each month on D*, but those are promos that expire in a year or two.

post #11 of 13 Old 07-03-2010, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to keep Comcast for Cable and Home Phone because AT&T was trying to BS around with me for the last 2 weeks. I did get Directv, and so far i LOVE it.

I got the 3rd highest package, sports package, and whole home DVR with of course the HD....I got an amazing deal for everything I have. Its well worth it...and the PQ destroys comcast up and down.

TWC in HD is so amazing.

if anyone new reads this thread...dont hesitate...get DTV its well worth it.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-12-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I have the same combo. I have an AT&T bundle with my local phone, unlimited long distance, 6mbps internet, and DirecTV. My DirecTV plan is basically their highest plan without any premium channels plus HD and DVR service. I get a $10/month credit from AT&T on my DirecTV service and discounted long distance and internet. In total I pay about $90 for phone and internet and $70 for DirecTV for just one DVR.

I'd say you are getting a pretty good deal once you add in your 3 extra boxes and the sports package. Unlike Comcast, in my case and maybe yours as well, there are no taxes or fees involved with D*.

If you need a referral then send me a PM and I'll hook you up. You can get an extra $100 off as ten $10 monthly credits.

Are you getting 6mbps though w/ your AT&T internet. I have a elite uverse thats claims to have a download speed of 6mbps but only getting 4 and half. They said it's about that range when getting the elite plan. But i would think that i should be getting 5.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-12-2010, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 27
SECgators, before you decide, check out Dish Networks offerings, too. I have been a very satisfied Dish customer for many years. Their service is reliable and their prices are the lowest of all the services available. Right now you can get over 120 channels with full HD and a DVR for $29.95 a month... and I think that's good for a year.

I don't think you can get internet or phone from Dish, but their TV is a good deal.

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page