OTA Audio: My Denon doesn't recognize Dolby 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-18-2010, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm wondering if anybody knows why my OTA HDTV is not being recognized as Dolby Digital surround sound by my Denon receiver.

When I hook up my DVD player (just through Analog inputs) it displays the Digital Logo as if it recognizes that it's Dolby Digital support content, but why doesn't it do that for my OTA transmissions?

MY setup:
Antenna hooked into TV audio out through Digital Coax to Denon Receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-20-2010, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDanswers View Post

I'm wondering if anybody knows why my OTA HDTV is not being recognized as Dolby Digital surround sound by my Denon receiver.

When I hook up my DVD player (just through Analog inputs) it displays the Digital Logo as if it recognizes that it's Dolby Digital support content, but why doesn't it do that for my OTA transmissions?

If it's showing a Dolby logo when your play a DVD via stereo analog audio, the indicator you're seeing is probably not related to Dolby Digital at all, but likely Dolby Pro Logic II. Unfortunately without specifics, I couldn't say more than that; a TV with an optical out for digital audio from its ATSC tuner *should* push a DD stream, but I suppose maybe it's been configured to output stereo LPCM instead. What model of TV and receiver do you have?
post #3 of 5 Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDanswers View Post

MY setup:
Antenna hooked into TV audio out through Digital Coax to Denon Receiver.

More info would be appreciated here. Assuming the antenna goes to a TV, and that the digital audio bitream output of the TV is going to your Denon receiver, you need to go into the audio menu on the TV and set it to output Dolby Digital (sometimes the menu says "bitream" or "raw.") Sometimes the default is "PCM," which only gives you a stereo downmix, no DD.

The Denon will not show a "digital" indication on the Denon if it is only being fed an analog signal. The Denon may show "Dolby Pro Logic," but that is just telling you that it is trying to decode (upmix) the stereo input.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-30-2010, 09:05 AM

Hi, I'm wondering if you were able to solve this issue -- I have a Panasonic P50G15 where the audio quality bothers me (cabinet vibrates at high volume), so I'm getting a receiver/speakers. For OTA HDTV, do I just hook up the digital audio out to the receiver? Not sure what digital audio out means in terms of cable -- is this a coax on tv or an optical out?
post #5 of 5 Old 12-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Please keep topic titles as specific as possible. See my edit.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page