Comcast HD-DVR box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-08-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so the comcast guy came today to install my cable tv, and he tried giving me an HD box without HDMI (the first box he gave me had hdmi, but the unit did not work). I told him i wanted HDMI but he insisted that HDMI and component were exactly the same. Pretty much, i told him to leave and called comcast to cancel. they offered me an hd-dvr and $20 of the installation so i agreed (i was kind of actually hoping for this).

anyway, anyone know if all the comcast hd-dvr boxes have HDMI? I'd prefer a unit that does. should i not care?

and can these boxes be switched by the user at comcast centers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-09-2010, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The HD-DVR models are covered in the Recorders section, most of the current models should have HDMI but there's probably still some DVI models rolling around.

Yes you can take your box back to a customer service center for exchange.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-09-2010, 09:16 PM

What do we need from Comcast to get our Samsung 1080 HDTV to show a high definition picture on it? We have a small digital box, is that the only thing or do we need one of those really big boxes?? Many thanks and have a super great weekend!

May Your Health And Successes In Life Continue To Serve You Well!!!
post #4 of 5 Old 07-10-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroTV View Post

What do we need from Comcast to get our Samsung 1080 HDTV to show a high definition picture on it? We have a small digital box, is that the only thing or do we need one of those really big boxes?? Many thanks and have a super great weekend!

You will need an HD STB connected via hdmi/dvi or component in order to view the HD channels available. The digital stb, if it is non-HD, will not provide HD. BTW, the HD box can upconvert the SD channels to HD resolutions, but they will not be HD. The HD boxes are not all necessarily "big". It depends on which one your local system uses.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 5 Old 07-10-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam0202 View Post

so the comcast guy came today to install my cable tv, and he tried giving me an HD box without HDMI (the first box he gave me had hdmi, but the unit did not work). I told him i wanted HDMI but he insisted that HDMI and component were exactly the same. Pretty much, i told him to leave and called comcast to cancel. they offered me an hd-dvr and $20 of the installation so i agreed (i was kind of actually hoping for this).

anyway, anyone know if all the comcast hd-dvr boxes have HDMI? I'd prefer a unit that does. should i not care?

First, DVI video is the exact same as HDMI video. All the HD DVRs have at least DVI. You can get an inexpensive DVI > HDMI adapter or cable at Monoprice, and be good to go for video. Although DVI does not carry audio, you can run either coax SPDIF digital (single orange RCA connector) or optical toslink digital from the HD DVR to your surround receiver and get the exact same audio as HDMI carries.

Second, component video is technically the same quality as HDMI/DVI, and in most all cases they look identical. In a few rare cases HDMI may look better, in a few rare cases component video may look better. Again for audio, you'll need to run digital audio separately as above.

If you're just using the HDTV for audio (no surround system), use left/right analog from the HD DVR into the HDTV. It won't make any difference coming from the HDTV.

Quote:

and can these boxes be switched by the user at comcast centers?

Yes, but it's a crap shoot if they have one with HDMI or not. I'd call 800 COMCAST and try to reserve an HDMI box if you really want one.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page