u-verse lip sync issues - best replacement? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-13-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys,
I posted a bit about this in the flat panel section but that may have been the wrong place. I have a new samsung c8000 plasma and u-verse. Everything is running through a pioneer elite receiver and i'm having lip sync issues on some of the HD channels. I can't peg down a specific channel as it happens intermittently on various channels. I plugged in the stb directly to the tv as well to make sure it wasn't my receiver and i still got the lip sync problem. I am assuming this is u-verse and not my tv? I see people recommending playing with the audio delay functions on the tvs and receivers- to me this is a total waste of time as you can set the sync but the sync will change from program to program or channel to channel making it necessary to constantly adjust. I didn't pay $3k for a tv and a lot more of that for surround sound to have to mess with that every time i watch tv. Is anyone else having this problem?

If i know for sure that it's uverse (which i think it is) i'm perfectly fine with changing service. I also have the audio drop out issue that many people have and quite frankly think that the picture quality is not on par with dish network.
If I do switch, is there a general consensus on dish v. directtv v. cable on picture and sound quality?

Sorry for the long question but i'm very frustrated as is my wife who keeps saying "we have over $10k worth of ht equipment only to have the voices match up with the picture" - she has a good point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-18-2010, 07:20 PM

Liked: 11
I have U-Verse and am having the lip sync issue as well -- but only recently, within the last week or so. Very annoying. I found that it sometimes goes away if I change the STB sound setting to stereo rather than surround (in the U-Verse menu)... but not always.

I switched about 2 years ago from Charter cable. I had such a horrible experience with them that I would *never* go back, unless they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Constant picture blocking/freezing, frequent service outages, the worst customer service and useless techs. I had them out ot my home at least a dozen times over 4-5 years and each guy that came would basically undo the last guys changes. Rinse, repeat. But the worst thing of all was the weak HD offerings -- when I first signed up for their HD pkg I think they offered 4 or 5 HD channels: Discovery HD Theater and a few networks. ABC was not one of them. 3-4 years later when I switched I think they were up to maybe 7 or 8 channels. Lame. And that cost an extra $10/mo.

No experience with sat because I get no reception here -- in a very hilly wooded area.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-29-2010, 11:52 PM

Liked: 10
I've noticed the last three nights on Letterman & Craig Ferguson the audio is out of sync w/ the video (audio is ahead of the video) on Uverse 1005 HD, but on Uverse Channel 5 it doesn't have the problem. Switching to the over air HD broadcast of WDJT-TV CBS58 There is no problem. Uverse Tech support is useless.

This is frustrating
post #4 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 07:33 AM

I just got a new HDTV and AV receiver with surround sound. As a result we had AT&T turn on the HD channels and I am having the same problems with U-Verse as well. None of the standard definition channels carry these problems. I can verify that it is the signal coming from AT&T as we also have a non-HD TV in our bedroom and when I see these issues on my new HDTV I can also see the issues are on the other TV as well. Issues include certain programming having out-of-sync audio, pixelation and choppiness (mostly in the evening), and the audio cutting out for a second and then coming back on.

I plan on contacting AT&T about this this week, though I don't expect to get anywhere.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-13-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hi, I just got uverse and I'm trying to use it with my external sound system and I'm having the same lipsyncing issue. I see the last post to this thread was made in August a year ago. Does anyone know if this is still a problem or have we discovered a fix for it?
By the way, a friend has the same uverse set top box I do except he's got it connected to a soundbar and he has no lipsyncing problem. So why would a soundbar react differently because a sound bar is technically no different than my amplifier and speakers.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-14-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 88
On Samsung TVs such as yours, look under Sound menu. Go down to SPDIF Output. Select and adjust Audio Delay. This may help, particularly if you are using Optical/Toslink connection for audio. You can also select Audio Format between Dolby Digital and PCM. And some soundbars, including Samsung versions, allow their own audio delay adjustments as well. Also, check your Uverse box and see if audio delay adjustments are available there.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-14-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 88
And it's not really recommended unless you know what you're doing, but on Samsung TVs you can go into the service menu and adjust the audio delay there. That is another way that some people have corrected the audio delay problem. But again, you have to be very careful and know what you are doing, as it can void your warranty and possibly create other issues.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-14-2011, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

On Samsung TVs such as yours, look under Sound menu. Go down to SPDIF Output. Select and adjust Audio Delay. This may help, particularly if you are using Optical/Toslink connection for audio. You can also select Audio Format between Dolby Digital and PCM. And some soundbars, including Samsung versions, allow their own audio delay adjustments as well. Also, check your Uverse box and see if audio delay adjustments are available there.

Thanks for the help. I have a Toshiba 55WX800U LED. I've searched every possible menu entry thinking I would find an adjustment option but no luck. Same with my uverse box.
My only advice to potential uverse customers is if you want more than the tv's onboard audio then you might want to consider a different television provider.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-16-2011, 04:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

FWIW, I've had intermittent audio sync issues with DirecTV, Dish network sat channels and OTA network & local programming; on two audio systems and 3 TVs. I don't think you'll ever completely solve the problem.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page