Colors Washed Out with Blu-ray on Sony 46EX500 - AVS Forum
HDTV Technical > Colors Washed Out with Blu-ray on Sony 46EX500
Nick212004's Avatar Nick212004 10:41 AM 07-19-2010
I just recently purchased the Sony Bravia 46EX500 LCD television and when it comes to HD Cable and playing games on the PS3 it looks great, but Blu-ray does not look as good as I expected. The colors seem to be a little washed out and some scenes seem to contain a mild grainy look. I use my PS3 as my Blu-ray player and have it connected to my television with the Monster M2000 HDMI Cable, best one on the market, so I am confused as to why its not displaying as sharp as it should. I am currently using the Standard Picture mode on the Bravia with the Ambient Sensor activated. Anyone have any advice on how to improve the picture quality with Blu-ray movies?

mjones73's Avatar mjones73 10:50 AM 07-19-2010
You'll want to check the LCD Flat Panel section for a thread on that TV, the calibration section, PS3, and/or Blu-Ray sections for help.

As for the Mon$ter cable, it's HDMI, doesn't matter if you have it or a 5 dollar Monoprice cable, as long as the 0's and 1's make it error free from point A to point B, the PQ will always be the same...
walford's Avatar walford 12:01 PM 07-19-2010
What resolution are you sending the content of the BR disk from your PS3 to your TV in?
Have you tried changing the PQ settings(colors etc) on your TV for the HDMI interface connection nuumber that your BR disk is connected to?
I don't think cable quality has anyting to do with your problem since with DVI/HDMI if you are having pixelatiion or dropped frame problems then the cable is certainly not the issue.
Nick212004's Avatar Nick212004 12:05 PM 07-19-2010
It is not 3D, just standard Blu-ray. I am just running the Standard Picture Mode with the Ambient Sensor activated which adjusts the settings to the room's environment.
walford's Avatar walford 12:19 PM 07-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick212004 View Post

It is not 3D, just standard Blu-ray. I am just running the Standard Picture Mode with the Ambient Sensor activated which adjusts the settings to the room's environment.

I should not have said 3D BR disks and I have edited that out of my response.
My questiion about resolution and frame rate still appliew however.
With my HDTV I use a diffeent picture mode which automatically swithces between individual input connections since the same PQ settings for my Cable STB, My DVD player, My PC and the TVs internal tuenr would produce unsatisfactory results.
Nick212004's Avatar Nick212004 12:29 PM 07-19-2010
In my picture settings I do not see anything that refers to PQ. Here are my current settings and what I have to choose from:

Picture Mode:Standard
Backlight:5
Picture:95
Brightness:50
Color:55
Hue:0
Color Temperature:Neutral
Sharpness:15
Noise Reduction:Low
MPEG Noise Reduction:Low
Motionflow:Standard
CineMotion:Auto 1
Ambient Sensor:On
Advanced Contrast Enhancer:Medium
Black Corrector:Medium
Gamma:0
Clear White:Off
Live Color:Low
White Balance:0 on all Gains and Bias
ABCTV99's Avatar ABCTV99 12:33 PM 07-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick212004 View Post

Is it doing it on all your blu-rays? You're not watching a grainy, flat movie are you? In an all digital environment like yours it would be pretty difficult to be missing contrast or color information (without something almost catastrophically wrong with either your setup, the player or the disc), those are typically two of the most paid attention to aspects in the authoring process. This is akin to an instrument being muffled on a CD, its either intentionally that way or something is very wrong.

Also, some Blu-Ray players give primacy to outputs and primacy to format. I have a Sony that defaults to output SD 480p unless you tell it otherwise (sounds counterproductive but its true).
walford's Avatar walford 02:28 PM 07-19-2010
PS settings refer to settings for brightness, contrast, bafcklighting, sharpness, motion compensaation, in other PQ settings refere to any setting that can change th overall quality of the images you are receiving over each different interface connection,.
Up
Mobile  Desktop