Wireless Coaxial cable extender? HDTV antenna in attic without wires? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Technical > Wireless Coaxial cable extender? HDTV antenna in attic without wires?

HDTV Technical

greenmile's Avatar greenmile
03:25 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 11
09-04-2010 | Posts: 21
Hi, so I'm not sure if what I'm looking for even makes sense.

I have a pretty nice HDTV antenna that I'd like to put up in my attic to get better reception and stop the signal from going "in-and-out" when I walk by it in my bedroom.

Also, I have 3 HDTVs in my house, and I'd like to have one antenna feed all of them.

I was just up in my attic for a short while and realized it was going to be nearly impossible to run a coaxial cable down to living room (not to mention split into the other 2 TVs) without professional help.

Is there some sort of Coaxial wireless transmitter/receiver system that can help here? Could it even handle the bandwidth of the HDTV UHF signal? All of my TVs have built-in HDTV tuners, so all I need is the raw UHF signal feed wirelessly extended into those locations with 3 separate receivers (with the transmitter in the attic).

It seems like a straightforward thing that should exist, but I couldn't find anything other than this: http://www.rflinkusa.com/products_ACS5820.html, and I don't even think this would work.

So am I stuck getting someone to run the cable... is this a crazy idea?

Thanks for any responses.
Ratman's Avatar Ratman
03:48 PM Liked: 312
post #2 of 11
09-04-2010 | Posts: 14,629
Initially... you need to be sure that your antenna and it's installation will work properly to receive the anticipated channels.

Secondly, if that works as anticipated, pay to have coax run professionally (if it's out of your expertise).

You probably could do no worse of a job than 90% of the cable/satellite installers if you do it yourself.
greenmile's Avatar greenmile
09:30 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 11
09-06-2010 | Posts: 21
So it sounds like what I'm asking for isn't actually a "thing". There's no way to repeat an OTA antenna signal wirelessly from my attic to several TVs?
Ratman's Avatar Ratman
10:07 AM Liked: 312
post #4 of 11
09-06-2010 | Posts: 14,629
Correct. AFAIK, there's no inexpensive/practical hardware to demodulate/remodulate an OTA (ATSC) signal to one or more TV's wired or wireless.
mj1pate's Avatar mj1pate
07:40 AM Liked: 10
post #5 of 11
09-18-2010 | Posts: 2
well, there seem to be a few products explicitly for wirelessly extending HDTV. "Affordablilty" may be relative to how much labor it saves you. I have similar issues.

Brite-View BV-2500 HD Wireless Video Transmitter/ Receiver Set
mj1pate's Avatar mj1pate
08:25 AM Liked: 10
post #6 of 11
09-18-2010 | Posts: 2
Truthfully, there seem to be plenty of sources for wireless HDTV signal transceiver systems. search in amazon.com for "wireless hd video transmitter"
prices start at the mid-200s and gp upwards.
Ratman's Avatar Ratman
09:40 AM Liked: 312
post #7 of 11
09-18-2010 | Posts: 14,629
That can work for extending signals for HDMI (or component) from source A to destination B, but for an antenna (RF) it will not work for the OP's desires.
Ken H's Avatar Ken H
10:22 AM Liked: 12
post #8 of 11
09-18-2010 | Posts: 45,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1pate View Post

Truthfully, there seem to be plenty of sources for wireless HDTV signal transceiver systems. search in amazon.com for "wireless hd video transmitter"
prices start at the mid-200s and gp upwards.

You do not understand what the OP question is. The products you refer to will not do what he wants.
DrDon's Avatar DrDon
11:05 AM Liked: 290
post #9 of 11
09-18-2010 | Posts: 12,800
Your best bet is to fish (or have someone fish) the lines through closets, return air plenums or whatever it takes to get lines to the rooms in question. Where there's a will, there's a way, especially if you own the house. Or break down, put an antenna on the roof, run a line down an outside wall to the basement (if you have one) and work from there. It can be time consuming, but it's generally not that hard. And if you mess up and misdrill a hole, it's nothing some drywall mud and paint won't fix.

I'm guessing there's never been cable run to the rooms in question?

You could try a passive repeater idea by hooking two yagis together.. one pointing at the towers and the other one pointing in the general direction of your television. But the odds of that succeeding are next to nil. I've used passives to "bend" signals over a hill, before, but I kinda doubt it'd work in an attic.
zergedintpa's Avatar zergedintpa
11:41 AM Liked: 10
post #10 of 11
09-21-2010 | Posts: 1
You could always go with a Network tuner like Silicon Dust's HDHomeRun, stick it in the attic with your antenna and a wireless access point, and now you have OTA on anything tied into your home network. Just be prepared to replace that equipment in the attic more often then usual, attic heat will kill them faster.
Ratman's Avatar Ratman
11:55 AM Liked: 312
post #11 of 11
09-21-2010 | Posts: 14,629
Attic heat and cold is only one consideration. Personally, I wouldn't suggest it.

He would also need a "wireless" or "wired" ethernet presence at each TV. Additionally, if you have a dual tuner HDHR, the third TV will not have independant channel selection.

IMHO, by the time you consider the environmental risks to the attic hardware and the additional hardware to support each TV (ethernet to RF), hiring a professional to run coax would possibly be more cost effective.
Reply HDTV Technical

Subscribe to this Thread