Annoying "crackling" noises on NBC shows? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone else hear annoying "crackling" noises on some HD programs, notably on NBC? The best I can describe it is a quick crackling noise (almost like a busted speaker or something...crackling, sparking...those are the terms that come to mind) that occurs often throughout the show (like every 5-10 seconds...unbelievably annoying).

I have been noticing it more and more, and last night on 30 Rock almost made me go crazy. I only notice it on NBC shows. It is VERY bad for me during "The Event".

Set-up is FIOS DVR hooked up via HDMI to Samsung TV (UN55C6800).

I'm no audio expert, but I am assuming it is not my TV speakers at fault because:
1) if i rewind the show and play it again, the crackling will occur at the exact same time
2) i only notice it on NBC shows
3) my old TV that was hooked up to the same DVR but via component cables did the same thing, again only on NBC shows (was horrible on "Persons Unknown")

am i going crazy, or could something NBC (or my DVR) is doing actually be causing this crackling noise?
I found this old thread when i searched for this problem:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=crackling
seems similar, although that thread is more than 2 years old

(Specific example: last night's 30 Rock...7 minutes in, right when Kenneth points to the "Im with stupid shirt" there is bad crackling)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My guess would be that FIOS has an issue with however they receive your local NBC affiliate's signal, or it's your local affiliate themselves. It's definitely not originating from NBC at a national level.

I would suggest looking here for a thread relating to your area to see if others around you are having the same problem.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 12:38 PM

The same thing is happening with me, I hear the occasional crackling noise, actually sounds like they're coming from the rear speakers (not that frequent though, maybe 1-2 times a minute). I'm picking up the local HD channels with the cable directly hooked up to the TV. At first I thought it had something to do with my setup because I only started noticing it, and I had just replaced my speaker cables (I've yet to really test it with the tv's built-in speakers). However, just like you it is ONLY happening with NBC. I am in CA, in case it's a local issue.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
It's not your speakers.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Yeah, in my case, it's our NBC affilliate at fault.

For reasons unknown to me, they're resampling the audio to some other format signal somewhere in their equipment chain and then converting it back to Dolby5.1 before the transmitter and this resampling is causing aliasing noise.

My ABC affilliate also has this happen occasionally, when they have the settings in their equipment are wrong.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCaelum View Post

Does anyone else hear annoying "crackling" noises on some HD programs, notably on NBC? The best I can describe it is a quick crackling noise (almost like a busted speaker or something...crackling, sparking...those are the terms that come to mind) that occurs often throughout the show (like every 5-10 seconds...unbelievably annoying).

I have been noticing it more and more, and last night on 30 Rock almost made me go crazy. I only notice it on NBC shows. It is VERY bad for me during "The Event".

Set-up is FIOS DVR hooked up via HDMI to Samsung TV (UN55C6800).

I'm no audio expert, but I am assuming it is not my TV speakers at fault because:
1) if i rewind the show and play it again, the crackling will occur at the exact same time
2) i only notice it on NBC shows
3) my old TV that was hooked up to the same DVR but via component cables did the same thing, again only on NBC shows (was horrible on "Persons Unknown")

am i going crazy, or could something NBC (or my DVR) is doing actually be causing this crackling noise?
I found this old thread when i searched for this problem:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=crackling
seems similar, although that thread is more than 2 years old

(Specific example: last night's 30 Rock...7 minutes in, right when Kenneth points to the "Im with stupid shirt" there is bad crackling)

I've never had this problem with fios.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anteis24 View Post

The same thing is happening with me, I hear the occasional crackling noise, actually sounds like they're coming from the rear speakers (not that frequent though, maybe 1-2 times a minute). I'm picking up the local HD channels with the cable directly hooked up to the TV. At first I thought it had something to do with my setup because I only started noticing it, and I had just replaced my speaker cables (I've yet to really test it with the tv's built-in speakers). However, just like you it is ONLY happening with NBC. I am in CA, in case it's a local issue.

i'm in CA too.
glad to hear at least some people are experiencing the same issues (for my sanity's sake). I was worried it was perhaps bum TV speakers or better yet me going crazy and hearing things (my wife doesnt seem to notice the crackling)
post #8 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
More info is needed.

JCaelum
Where in CA are you? What are the call letters of the NBC station you are watching?

anteis24
Who is your provider? Where in CA are you? What are the call letters of the NBC station you are watching?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #9 of 10 Old 10-15-2010, 10:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCaelum View Post

Same here! ("The Event", NBC (KGW) on Comcast Portland, OR, HD channel). Here it sounds like a high-pitched whine/hiss. I can still hear the dialogue and other stuff fine, but during quiet passages it's like listening to old-school audio tape.

It's not white noise, there's a definite tone to the noise. I'm guessing about 11 KHz or so.

My RPTV-based "Narnia Theater"
post #10 of 10 Old 10-16-2010, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm in California as well (LA County), and I noticed it on Thursday during Community on KNBC. I have DirecTV.

It did sound like it was coming through the rear speakers but I think it stopped about 15 minutes in.

I watched Chuck and The Event earlier this week and didn't notice it...
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page