Adding a second DirecTV Receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a simple DirecTV install question.

I currently have a DirecTV with a slimline dish with a dual-coaxial line into the house from the dish running straight to my 1 and only HDDVR Receiver in the house. I am looking to add a second HD receiver to my house. What exactly should I get/do. I am not looking to pay DTV $99 for the receiver and $5 a month for a receiver fee. Is there a way around this? I do understand I would need to purchase a receiver card for $20 and register it...but will that enable the $5 charge a month? In the end....what is the best way in doing this kind of setup?
Could it be as simple as buying a standard coaxial splitter and running my second line via the split then buy an appropriate receiver on ebay and get a receiver card?

Thanks for any help or suggestions on this setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Directv does not play the game any longer. They handle the installation. The $49 install fee is typically waived. They upgrade the dish feed and distribution system to swm at "no charge" to you. So it is worth the service call.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-24-2010, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Ok to have them run the line that is fine...but I still have to spend $99 to get the second receiver plus the $5 a month. I am more concerned with the receiver and addtl monthly cost than running the second line. I have coaxial line and an connection maker. So I can run my own line if I had too.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-25-2010, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
First, you will have the additional monthly cost regardless of where and how you get the new receiver. First receiver (your DVR) is free, subsequent ones are $5. Does not matter if it is leased or owned.
Second, the standard cost for a leased HD receiver is $99. Sometimes you can get them from DirecTV for less. Receivers from eBay are very "iffy", unless you are getting them from a recognized DirecTV retailer. Those boxes are leased, sometimes you can get them for slightly less than $99 (including the access card). DirecTV boxes from non-approved sources on eBay are often dubious. Most HD boxes are leased not owned, and if you get one of those DirecTV can (and usually does) refuse to activate them because they should have been returned to DirecTV. To be safe, you should always get the receiver ID # (and the access card number if you can) and call DirecTV, ask for the Access Card department. They will tell you if the box is leased or owned (don't take the word of a regular CSR) and also if the account for the box is paid up. If the box is owned, you can buy it. If it's a used receiver, you will need a new access card ($20) so it's often not worth it, you might as well get a new one.
Also, keep well away from H20-600 receivers. They overheat and many of them have already been damaged by prolonged overheating.
With all of that, IMHO it's not worth doing.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-25-2010, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

it looks like unless I can get a good free and clear HD receiver for under 50 it really isnt worth it. B/c Ill still have to pay for the access card. With the $99 that atleast comes with an access card. Now If I could get them to waive the install that would be even better...otherwise I think I would just split and run the line myself.

Thanks Texas.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-20-2010, 12:44 PM

Is it that simple with DIRECTTV or add or remove receivers or is there anything else to be aware of? I am considering switching from Comcast to DIRECTTV or Dish but am leaning towards DIRECTTV I'm not sure if I want to initially connect 3 or 4 tvs. Would I be better off initially connecting 3 and then if I decide I want a fourth to add it, or would it be better to initially connect 4 and then if I only want 3 to send back the receiver?

Thanks!
post #7 of 8 Old 11-20-2010, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

DirecTV is going to be your best bang for the buck. Personally, I would just have them install only what you need. You can always run your own Coaxial to the 4th TV when the time comes. SOMETIMES you can TIP your installer to run that 4th line for you. I know my brother in law payed for 2 lines being run, and TIPPED the guy like 20 bucks and helped him run the 3rd. Either way you will have to pay for the 4th receiver, unless you plan on sharing receivers between TVs
post #8 of 8 Old 11-22-2010, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsbb16 View Post

it looks like unless I can get a good free and clear HD receiver for under 50 it really isnt worth it. B/c Ill still have to pay for the access card. With the $99 that atleast comes with an access card. Now If I could get them to waive the install that would be even better...otherwise I think I would just split and run the line myself.

Thanks Texas.

The difference here being, if you buy a free and clear, owned receiver from someone else, 1.) you then OWN that box, and 2.) it does not extend your contract with DirecTV. Paying the $99 allows to you LEASE that receiver, while extending your contract.

I'm not saying one way is better than the other, this is just FYI.

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page