Help! Can't get audio from RCA jack when HDMI is connected - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-30-2010, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to make the AV1 Audio (Right, Left) input the default audio input while using the HDMI 1 input the default Video input.

Said, another way, can I disable the HDMI 1 audio input on the RCA 42LA55RS, but retain the video? Anyone know how?

I have a Comcast set top box that only has DVI output. So I use a DVI to HDMI cable (HDMI input on the RCA TV). I use the RCA jack (Red, White) for audio out from the set top box to the TV RCA input jacks.

However, I can't get any sound.

I *can* "block" inputs (e.g. HDMI 1) to the RCA TV, but if I do that it also blocks the video.

Thanks for any help, the picture looks great, just need sound!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-30-2010, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't think it is possible to use the HDMI input for video and a different input for audio. Can you get a different Comcast box that has an HDMI output or does the present box have component outputs. If it has component outputs you could use those.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-31-2010, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Some HDTV's, like Panasonics, can be set in the menu to use one of the analog l/r audio inputs with one of the HDMI inputs. Some HDTV's have a dedicated analog audio input for an HDMI input and will default to it, if there is an analog audio input connected.

You'll have to see if the RCA will do one of those in the menu, or owners manual.

Otherwise, you can combine DVI video with analog audio for an HDMI output: http://us.startech.com/product/HDMI2...dio-Separation

Never tried one, but it should work.

If the RCA will not take analog audio with HDMI, the easiest (least expensive) solution is to use component video and analog audio from the Comcast box to the RCA. Component video and DVI/HDMI video are technically the same for all HD except 1080p, which the Comcast box does not do.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page