Panasonic VT25: Digital to analog audio converstion. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
norcal123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

I had a question about a recently purchased Panasonic VT25 and its capacity (or lack therefo) to output an analog audio signal.

From what I can tell (reading the manual, trying different connections) the Panasonic appears to rely exclusively on HDMI or Digital/Optical outputs for its audio signal. To your knowledge is this the case?

If so, do you know if the digital signal can be run through a DAC to create a 2-chanel (stereo) audio signal --- or is it strictly surround sound (5 or 7 chanel)?

I ask because I have an analog integrated amp that I am pretty committed to at this point (Anthem 225), and want to run the Panasonic's HDTV audio signal through the Anthem to drive a pair of good quality speakers (Paradigm V5 Studio 100s).

If the DAC is the best way to convert the Panasonic's digital audio signal to analog, do you have experience with a make or model of DAC that you like for this kind of work?

Thanks.

Regards, David
norcal123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 Old 11-03-2010, 03:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal123 View Post

Hi there,

I had a question about a recently purchased Panasonic VT25 and its capacity (or lack therefo) to output an analog audio signal.

From what I can tell (reading the manual, trying different connections) the Panasonic appears to rely exclusively on HDMI or Digital/Optical outputs for its audio signal. To your knowledge is this the case?

Yes.

Quote:


If so, do you know if the digital signal can be run through a DAC to create a 2-chanel (stereo) audio signal --- or is it strictly surround sound (5 or 7 chanel)?

For Digital TV channels, either from OTA or cable, the digital audio output is Dolby Digital. This requires a Dolby Digital processor to decode, which in some cases may be able to be configured to output only 2 channels. This may be a unit specific issue and I strongly suggest verifying this function before proceeding.

A PCM DAC will not work.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #3 of 4 Old 11-05-2010, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
norcal123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your thoughts. Your suggestion was mirrored by a knowledgeable guy at a local high end audio shop.

The shop in question sells a good quality ARCAM Dac --- and he's indicated the only way to know for sure if it will handle the audio out from the VT25 is to borrow their demo, connect it to the set and decide if it will processes the output signal at a level that is acceptable.

He indicated that he had actually spoke with Panasonic techs. who had writen the user's manual for their plasmas and they didn't know for sure whether the set put out an audio signal that could easily be processed as 2 channel analog.

I'll check to see that any DAC that I pursue can process Dolby digital for conversion to 2-channel analog.

Regards, David
norcal123 is offline  
post #4 of 4 Old 11-06-2010, 12:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal123 View Post

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your thoughts. Your suggestion was mirrored by a knowledgeable guy at a local high end audio shop.

The shop in question sells a good quality ARCAM Dac --- and he's indicated the only way to know for sure if it will handle the audio out from the VT25 is to borrow their demo, connect it to the set and decide if it will processes the output signal at a level that is acceptable.

He indicated that he had actually spoke with Panasonic techs. who had writen the user's manual for their plasmas and they didn't know for sure whether the set put out an audio signal that could easily be processed as 2 channel analog.

I'll check to see that any DAC that I pursue can process Dolby digital for conversion to 2-channel analog.

Regards, David

The set will output 2 channel PCM audio from analog channels; not the HD ones.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off