Scientific Atlanta 8300HD - Toshiba 37E200U HDMI issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-08-2010, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box from Cox Cable. This box worked fine with my old TV (an older Westinghouse) via HDMI. I recently bought a Toshiba 37E200U and cannot get the TV to recognize the signal from the 8300HD.

The TV will display my Sony Blu-ray player and my Apple TV via HDMI just fine but not the cable box. I have tried numerous combination of HDMI ports on the TV and cables and have eliminate either of those as the problem. I can take the HDMI cable from the Toshiba and plug it back into the Westinghouse and I get picture and sound so the box is outputting a signal.

The problem seems to be that the signal is not recognized by the TV. I have updated the firmware of the TV which did not solve the problem. I got a great deal on the TV and the picture and sound (from Apple TV and Blu-ray) are pretty decent for this sized TV for the bedroom. I would rather not have to take the TV back because there is not much selection in the 37" range.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions? Toshiba tech support was less than helpful. The guy I spoke to was quick to say that it was not a Toshiba problem and it must be the cable box although he did say that Toshiba was aware of similar issues with multiple cable box/provider combination. He also said that the firmware update would fix the problem (which he previously said didn't exist).

The only thing I haven't tried is taking the cable box back to Cox and getting a new one but as I understand, they push firmware updates to the boxes so any new box I get should be the same as the box I have.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-08-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Try unplugging both TV and STB. Disconnect the Blu-ray and Apple to take them out of the mix for now.
Connect the HDMI cables, then plug the STB and TV back in. Wait until the box boots back up, then turn on the TV. Sometimes the TV or STB does not like when you "hot-swap" an HDMI cable.
I had issues with my STB and TV at one time and this seemed to fix it.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-08-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

No luck. Still getting the "No video signal." display on the TV.

UPDATE:

I talked to Cox tech support. The guy says it's a problem with the TV (there's a surprise) because he can see a strong signal on his end. What that has to do with the signal coming out of the box going to the TV, I don't know.

My next step is to swap out the cable box with a new one. The current one is over two years old. Even though Cox will most likely give me the same model box, this seemed to solve a lot of problems I had with the other 8300HD in the family room.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-09-2010, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons_vegas View Post

No luck. Still getting the "No video signal." display on the TV.

UPDATE:

I talked to Cox tech support. The guy says it's a problem with the TV (there's a surprise) because he can see a strong signal on his end. What that has to do with the signal coming out of the box going to the TV, I don't know.

My next step is to swap out the cable box with a new one. The current one is over two years old. Even though Cox will most likely give me the same model box, this seemed to solve a lot of problems I had with the other 8300HD in the family room.

Good luck. The STB seems to be the only logical thing to change since the Blu-Ray and Apple work fine.

Does the box work with component cables?
post #5 of 13 Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't tried component cables. I went completely HDMI a few years ago and haven't been able to find a component cable laying around the house. I will try that later today.

I also have an older Harmon Kardon receiver that I just replace with a Denon in the family room. I was going to try running the cable box into the Harmon Kardon via HDMI and then out to the TV with HDMI. Perhaps the Harmon Kardon can decode the signal the box is pushing (since it used to with another 8300HD out in the family room) and then output some kind of signal the TV can read.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-09-2010, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Did you possibly have the cable box set up to output a specific signal, like 1080i or 720p, since you had it hooked up to an older HDTV. If so, and your Toshiba HDTV doesn't support that signal, then that could be a problem. Do you still have your Westinghouse? Does the cable box still work with it?

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

post #7 of 13 Old 11-09-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

If you do not need a DVR, you might want to try the SA4250HD STB, if Cox has those boxes.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-09-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

There are four output formats the box is capable of outputting and I have selected them all (I don't recall off the top of my head what they are). The Toshiba specs say that it should be able to display any HDTV signal sent to it. I cross checked the list in the specs with the formats the box can output and did not see any discrepancies or reasons why the TV won't display a picture.

Unless Cox has changed the lineup of boxes they have, the 8300HD is the only one with an HDMI output they have. The box in question has the DVR feature turned off. I had to convince the Cox rep a few years back to give me this box and disable the DVR because this was the only box they had with HDMI output.

I am going to the Cox store later today and will ask if they have any other boxes with HDMI output.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-09-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

The issue is resolved. I went to Cox and they do, in fact, have other boxes that output HDMI. This apparently is a recent change. They gave me a
4240HDC that talks to my TV. I now have a beautiful picture.

I guess the lesson is that anyone who has an 8300HD because they need a DVR won't be able to use this particular Toshiba TV.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-09-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons_vegas View Post
Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

The issue is resolved. I went to Cox and they do, in fact, have other boxes that output HDMI. This apparently is a recent change. They gave me a
4240HDC that talks to my TV. I now have a beautiful picture.

I guess the lesson is that anyone who has an 8300HD because they need a DVR won't be able to use this particular Toshiba TV.
Glad to hear it you solved your problem.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-20-2010, 03:47 PM

anybody have good settings for toshiba 37e200u
post #12 of 13 Old 11-21-2010, 09:04 PM

ok,i was having the same problem but with a dish network box.so i returned th tv.it the vizio e370va a good tv?and i really liked the toshiba.i might buy it again.how do i solvr the problem with the hdmi?
post #13 of 13 Old 12-17-2010, 05:40 PM

Anyone else had the 37E200U / 8300HD compatibility problem? I was planning on purchasing the 37E200U this weekend, and my cable provider uses the 8300HD. After reading this thread, I'm a little concerned...

Thanks
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page