Any recommendations for a cheapish OTA HD tuner with HDMI out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 12-25-2010, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need a OTA tuner so i can display Local HD channels on my projector. Something cheap is fine since i only really use it for the few sports games a year. Anyone have any opinions?

HDMI out is a requirement and i have no interest in it being able to record.

I dont really have a clue what I should be looking for in terms of features. I'm in Eugene, OR if that matters for broadcasts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-25-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahreno View Post

I need a OTA tuner so i can display Local HD channels on my projector. Something cheap is fine since i only really use it for the few sports games a year. Anyone have any opinions?

HDMI out is a requirement and i have no interest in it being able to record.

I dont really have a clue what I should be looking for in terms of features. I'm in Eugene, OR if that matters for broadcasts.

Until you define "cheap", sorry. I'd Google for "HD tuner."
post #3 of 19 Old 12-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Or check the sticky: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=179095

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4 of 19 Old 12-25-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There aren't many choice available and they aren't particularly cheap, because it's a niche product.

I would consider the Centronics ZAT 502.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=centronics+zat502
post #5 of 19 Old 12-25-2010, 09:57 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

There aren't many choice available and they aren't particularly cheap, because it's a niche product.

I would consider the Centronics ZAT 502.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=centronics+zat502

Remember that many have had trouble with audio through HDMI on that. If you have a receiver with optical in, than audio is a non-issue.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-28-2010, 12:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
I don't know if it will work but you might consider an old E* or D* DVR that has been deactivated. I don't know where it would be, but I do remember some "Forum" discussion on this. Just an idea.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #7 of 19 Old 12-30-2010, 07:26 AM

Hello. I was killing some time, and decided to read through some of the discussion topics this morning. Ironically, I stumbled across this one for HDTV tuners; I just ordered my 4th one a few hours ago.

About 1.5 years ago, I decided to outfit my in-home theater room with as many movies as I could find. Aside from already having 300+ DVD/HD-DVD/and Bluray movies, I actually decided to ad movies on VHS. Don't Laugh yet!

I'm using some high-end equipment in my theater room, and figured I could run the 480i signal from a VHS player through my DVDO HD+ or DVDO VP-50. BINGO . . . . it really works well at 720p (1080p really brings out the 'jaggies' and video noise, so I stick the the clean looking 720p image).

So, long story short, I found a 1080p DVD/VHS combination player that outputs via HDMI. The killer thing about this player is the fact it has a built-in TV tuner!!!!! Yes, I pickup a total of 26 HD channels.

The unit is an LG 897t.

Benefit of this unit is the fact you not only get the TV tuner, you also get a DVD player! No, the DVD player is not in the same league as my Oppo DV-983 or my Denon-5910, but it's not too bad.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-30-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickman7 View Post

So, long story short, I found a 1080p DVD/VHS combination player that outputs via HDMI. The killer thing about this player is the fact it has a built-in TV tuner!!!!! Yes, I pickup a total of 26 HD channels.

The unit is an LG 897t.

The not-so-killer thing is the output is only SD. None of the DVD recorder units have HD output.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #9 of 19 Old 12-30-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds more like a deal killer.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-30-2010, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Sounds more like a deal killer.

Not for him/her. Remember they think VHS running through a processor looks good.......

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #11 of 19 Old 12-30-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Also, LG DVD/VHS player/recorders have a lousy reputation for reliability. Hope he gets his money's worth out of it.
post #12 of 19 Old 12-30-2010, 01:54 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Also, LG DVD/VHS player/recorders have a lousy reputation for reliability. Hope he gets his money's worth out of it.

I had one that lasted less than a year.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-30-2010, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah - horror stories abound here.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I own a LG DR787T dvdr (bought in 2006) and the only thing good i can say about it is that the ATSC/QAM tuner is rock solid! Faaar superior to the ATSC/QAM tuners in my Philips,and Magnavox dvdr's. The tuners in the Phil/Mag units have Alzheimers disease compared to the LG dvdr. Well,in fact there really is no comparison,the tuner in the LG blows the Phil/Mag dvdr's right out of the water. But i don't need the tuners anymore since i moved to Satellite tv. Goodbye Comcast! G.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-01-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

I own a LG DR787T dvdr (bought in 2006) and the only thing good i can say about it is that the ATSC/QAM tuner is rock solid! Faaar superior to the ATSC/QAM tuners in my Philips,and Magnavox dvdr's.

I've had a couple of those model's myself, and although I know it's "frowned upon" for anyone to say anything like that over in the Funai model's threads in the DVD Recorders forum, I wouldn't have any trouble believing you for one second (I've had a Zenith CECB, and I'm well aware of the standalone, LG HD tuners of yore's reputations).

Can you at least delete individual, ATSC subchannels in the LG tuner? You can't in those Funai's, and that's one of the biggest beefs I have with them.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
[quote=Rammitinski;
Can you at least delete individual, ATSC subchannels in the LG tuner? You can't in those Funai's, and that's one of the biggest beefs I have with them.[/QUOTE]

Dunno,never tried to delete subchannels. All i ever did was to do a scan of all the channels (analog + digital). The LG tuner was able to find 84 digital channels (most scrambled) but the Philips '76 and the Maggie "A" could only find 24 digital channels (most scrambled) and the Phil/Mag. units would "forget" most of those channels within days,whereas the LG tuner kept them in memory for as long as 6 mos.,not "forgetting" any of them. But it's a moot point now cuz i dropped cable and went to "E". Don't need them dang tuners anymore!

One question i have is this,and it's always bothered me: The LG DR787T was advertised as the 1st. dvdr with a ATSC/QAM tuner,and it was a good one,so why did other manufactures put such lousy ones into their dvdr's since good ones were already available? It's not like there weren't any good ones available,and the ATSC/QAM tuners still had to "evolve" thru several generations until good ones appeared. G.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-07-2013, 08:09 AM

The cheapest way to get a OTA HD tuner with HDMI is to buy a FTA satelite receiver with that feature.
You can even get it with PVR and some fancy features and more. Just make sure it is the latest and greatest model first.
post #18 of 19 Old 07-07-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
PHD-208 HD tuner box from ePVision has a very good tuner and is priced around $120. Channel Master 7001 is about $129 but the tuner is not quite as good, and the features are not as good. No program info or manual tuning/deleting. Also, iView 3500 is a cheap HD tuner box/DVR with a good tuner that was actually being sold around $35. But the menu interface may be a bit buggy according to some reports.
post #19 of 19 Old 07-07-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Not only a HD tuner w/HDMI but by hooking up a standard USB HDD it's a HD DVR cool.gif
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview-3500stb-tuner-dvr-owners-thread
Currently $63 shipped at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/iView-3500STB-DTV-Converter-Box/dp/B00BFIJQ10/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_2_0KJW
I've got a couple and while not very refined and a poor remote I think they are a steal!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List