Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,
Hey all,
I've been with Directv for 2 years now. I have 3 receivers (HR-21) with the SWIM system. My total monthly cost is about $95 and I have all the HD channels I can get with no premiums. I'm considering switching to Comcast because of several reasons:

1) The ondemand selections on Directv are awful, theres literally nothing that I would consider watching

2) I think the cost of the package is way to high for the channels I get

3) I cant get FIOS

4) I HATE the Directv HR21, its unbelievably slow, I dont understand that in the year 2011 I'm dealing with a computerized piece of equipment that takes 5-10 seconds to load a text based guide with no graphics.

I previously had Comcast and had to cancel service and report them to the BBB for a refund because the digital signal was degraded due to a bad drop to my house which I couldnt get them to fix. The techs they sent were incompetent, untrained, unprofessional and lazy, and many times didnt even show up. The phone help line was the same, often with hold times that assume I have nothing better to do than to wait on hold. What I'm wondering is has Comcast in the past few years enabled features like:

1) Can I watch DVR'ed programs in any room regardless of what box they were recorded on?

2) Do the HDDVR boxes have improvements to the speed I can look at a guide that one would expect out of engineers with college degrees in the age of quad core 4GHz processors that cost less than a month of service with one of these horrible companies?

3) Can I do a month long trial and cancel service?

4) Is the ondemand any good?

5) Can I set programs to record and manage the programs on my DVR through a PC? over the internet?

I appreciate any feedback from any of you guys who have struggled with both of these companies. Internet is not a concern because I get it through an excellent local company with 4 employees, and I speak to a CCNP who answers the phone when I call tech support.

Thanks!
rpm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sign up for one month with Comcast and compare the two services then cancel one of them, that's the best advice I can offer.

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-06-2011, 01:26 PM

My parents have comcast, I have Fios, but I will try my best....

1) Can I watch DVR'ed programs in any room regardless of what box they were recorded on?
No. Only if each room has the new HDreceiver, and you pay an extra fee to unlock mult-room DVR watching

2) Do the HDDVR boxes have improvements to the speed I can look at a guide that one would expect out of engineers with college degrees in the age of quad core 4GHz processors that cost less than a month of service with one of these horrible companies?
The menu navigating seems about the same as my Fios HD box. So I guess thats a yes.

I dont think so, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

Again, seems comparable to Fios.

5) Can I set programs to record and manage the programs on my DVR through a PC? over the internet?
Nope.

My GF was in your shoes. Moved into a new place, and Fios was not available. She had to go with Comcast. It has less HD channels available, at more cost. Aslo the internest speed is slower. She did get a lower rate for 6 months. Make sure to ask for that, tell them you are considering Fios otherwise. (they dont know Fios isnt avialable, so just lie to them.) Thats what she did. She was forced to sign a 1 year contract that charges $100 if she cancells early. Make sure you consider that.
post #4 of 14 Old 01-06-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
In my area, you can control the DVR over the internet. I'm on Comcast.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #5 of 14 Old 01-06-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg View Post

In my area, you can control the DVR over the internet. I'm on Comcast.

Is it a feature OP will have to pay xtra for?

Again, my folks are the ones with comcast, I have fios, wish I could help more.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM

I'm with Comcast. I've never had problems with them, outside of the occasional pixelation on HD, etc. (minor, more an annoyance than anything else).

On demand is pretty good, especially if you have all of the premiums. I rarely get new releases because I'm already paying for the premiums and they have a very good free selection for subscribers, but I really don't notice much missing from the PPV selection - lots of stuff is released same day as DVD, etc. As mentioned above, it's probably on par with Fios. Quality is decent (on par with the rest of Comcast's HD offerings), I don't think I've ever had problems with choppy playback, etc.

If for nothing else, Comcast is great for their internet features (streaming video, DVR control) and their iPad/iPhone apps (allows you to look at on demand and TV listings on your device while watching something else and use the device as a remote control to change channels or make an on demand selection). No charge for those functions.

That said, I've never had Dish/Direct/Fios so can't really give you a comparison.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-06-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdood83 View Post

Is it a feature OP will have to pay xtra for?

Again, my folks are the ones with comcast, I have fios, wish I could help more.

If you have a DVR, it's no extra in my area. That said, services vary on Comcast around the Country.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #8 of 14 Old 01-06-2011, 10:40 PM

Comcast definitely has a better on demand set up and menu.

I have Directv and my girlfriend has comcast. In our area the customer service, tech support and installers
are so bad I would have to pass. She hates them but only option where she lives. But Comcast service quality
can vary greatly depending on where you live.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-07-2011, 01:12 AM

I have had Direct TV for years (and I also had Comcast as well)...I dropped DTV and now I have just Comcast...Comcast (IMO) beats the hell out of DTV...this isnt even including the weather/trees/line of sight issue/adjust the dish at least once a year with DTV.

ANSWER: yes...if you get the new multi-room boxes (and if you were switching to Comcast, why not get the best box)

ANSWER: No comparison...there is NO wait time for a Comcast Guide or Menu...plus Comcast has caller ID right on the screen...pretty neat.

ANSWER: Yes...its in all the Comcast ads (plus a buddy of mine just got Comcast and its the 1st thing they told him...not second hand info, I was there)

ANSWER: It's AWESOME!!...tons of stuff...free movies...TV...series..etc..etc (and NO, I dont work for Comcast...lol)...you would need to watch tv 24/7 for a year to see all the stuff on demand....and a most of it is available in HD

ANSWER: Yes...and you dont need an app (unless you want one)...you just sign into comcast.com and select my dvr manager and record away...I record most of my programs when Im sitting at the computer because basically im just too damn lazy to go down stairs and turn on the tv to do it (and if you have multiple dvr boxes you can set it up online so that you can pick the box you want to record)

As an added note, Comcast has over 100 HD channels in my area (over 150 in Penns & NJ) and are adding in another 50+ HD channels over the next few months.

I live in New Hampshire and my parents live in Mass...Mass is slightly ahead of Nh but we are catching up quickly....I hope this helped.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-07-2011, 01:15 AM

ps....I dont know about the rest of the country (only New England) , but, our customer service is great!!...hardly ever a wait time longer than a minute or two...if you know what you are talking about they are extremely friendly and helpful...and someone mentioned missed appointments, I wish they would miss an appointment if I called them...they credit you $20.00 immediately (man, people are so going to think Im a Comcast plant...lol)
post #11 of 14 Old 01-07-2011, 01:21 AM

sorry, another ps...my internet speed cant be touched by any company in my area...I pay for 16MB/sec and (partly because Im on my own line and also because i know how to tweak my internet settings) I get between 58-63MB's/sec...Im talking blazing...I can download an album in about 15 seconds....and an 800MB file in a little under 2 minutes, etc, etc....also if you have a problem with any signal breakup, just call comcast and tell them you want them to install an in-line amp (this is for TV, not internet...no lease fee and they even give you the option to buy it....runs around $50.00...but most people dont need it...I live in a rural area so I do)...that puppy boosts the hell out of the signal...no pixelization...no sound in and out and jaw dropping HD (I have a 60 inch plasma...you have never seen sports look this good....I can tell you what the guy in the nose bleed seats is eating and what is written on his wife's sweatshirt)
post #12 of 14 Old 01-07-2011, 01:31 AM

ok..I lied..one more ps...comcast has triple play...phone, cable and internet...all three services (plus I have every premium channel, 2 DVRs and the sports pack) and it costs me $159.99/month (not including taxes...which for me is around $8.00)...so do the math. That comes out to approx. $55.99 per service (phone, cable and internet)...thats a pretty hard price to beat (especially considering DTV doesnt do phone or internet...well, they might still do internet, but, it was about as useless as they come)...and I dont know anyone who has a contract with comcast that charges you if you leave early (but Vios does....and im not sure about DTV..they didnt use to have an early termination fee)...also most contracts are for a locked in price for a year, not 6 months (and every year when the price goes up I call Comcast and re-negotiate back to the same price...you just have to know how to talk to them...and the average person doesnt realize they can negotiate every year..(and comcast certainly doesnt want that to be common knowledge...they arent stupid)...ok, im finished..I promise (for now...lol)
post #13 of 14 Old 01-07-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxx View Post
I have had Direct TV for years (and I also had Comcast as well)...I dropped DTV and now I have just Comcast...Comcast (IMO) beats the hell out of DTV...this isnt even including the weather/trees/line of sight issue/adjust the dish at least once a year with DTV.

ANSWER: yes...if you get the new multi-room boxes (and if you were switching to Comcast, why not get the best box)

ANSWER: No comparison...there is NO wait time for a Comcast Guide or Menu...plus Comcast has caller ID right on the screen...pretty neat.

ANSWER: Yes...its in all the Comcast ads (plus a buddy of mine just got Comcast and its the 1st thing they told him...not second hand info, I was there)

ANSWER: It's AWESOME!!...tons of stuff...free movies...TV...series..etc..etc (and NO, I dont work for Comcast...lol)...you would need to watch tv 24/7 for a year to see all the stuff on demand....and a most of it is available in HD

ANSWER: Yes...and you dont need an app (unless you want one)...you just sign into comcast.com and select my dvr manager and record away...I record most of my programs when Im sitting at the computer because basically im just too damn lazy to go down stairs and turn on the tv to do it (and if you have multiple dvr boxes you can set it up online so that you can pick the box you want to record)

As an added note, Comcast has over 100 HD channels in my area (over 150 in Penns & NJ) and are adding in another 50+ HD channels over the next few months.

I live in New Hampshire and my parents live in Mass...Mass is slightly ahead of Nh but we are catching up quickly....I hope this helped.
Agree.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #14 of 14 Old 01-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I dunno... I have both and hate both ... I'm conjuring up visons of frying pans and fires here
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page