Zenith 1080 Guide is now lost every night! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 04-05-2002, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it my imagination or is the Zenith DTV-1080now losing its Guide information every night as of late?

I have owned this unit since last year and I never saw the frequency of lost Guide information as I have recently............Every night I have to go to the DirecTV Setup Menu and download the Guide in order to list the program infomation - then everything works - until the next day!!

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Is there a fix?

Thanks, in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-05-2002, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Techsa1,
No, it's not your imagination. I have two 1080s and I am seeing a greatly increased frequency of this problem too. It's not quite every day, but I would say it's about twice a week on both units. Interestingly, it doesn't necessarily happen to both units at the same time. Go figure that one out. The real pain is deleting your unwanted channels every time this happens. At this point I just keep the guide the way it is.

I would certainly think this is a fixable problem.
post #3 of 21 Old 04-05-2002, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Techsa1
Could just be coincidence, but since I started making sure the last DTV channel I tune to each night is on the 101 bird, I haven't lost the guide. I always hit the ol' DirecTV info channel before going to OTA or shutting down.
Of course, having said that, the guide will probably disappear in the next five minutes. <g>.

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4 of 21 Old 04-05-2002, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
My unit is doing this too - losing the guide every day. I only use it for a couple hours each week, but the last few days the program info has been empty each time I turn it on. I redo the channel setup to get the guide back, but then it's gone the next time I turn it on.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-05-2002, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

I don't suppose it has to do with turning it off ?
I don't turn mine off, although sometimes power outages shut it off for me. I've only lost guide info once.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-05-2002, 01:41 PM

I don't turn my DTV1080 off and my guide information has reset several times over the last week. Very annoying !
post #7 of 21 Old 04-05-2002, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to try the suggestion of leaving the channel on a 101 Sat each night (I typically leave the channel on 199).

Also, my unit is "on" all of the time so it's not a power issue...............
post #8 of 21 Old 04-05-2002, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I turn my DTV1080 off after each use and haven't experienced any guide data loss in the last several months. The first several months of using my DTV1080 I would have a couple guide outages a month--but none lately. This is a strange problem that can hopefully be corrected from a firmware upgrade.

Andrew

Andrew Sabin
post #9 of 21 Old 04-05-2002, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I have seen other posts relating to other guide problems (DST-3000) supporting DrDon's opinion that it may depend on what station/satellite it is tuned tune at night. A change in viewing habits might caaause the perceived increased frequency of loss.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-06-2002, 08:32 AM

Liked: 11
I'm losing my Custom Guide. Twice now this week. Possibly could have been more but I was too lazy to re-select my custom stations on two evenings.

Bob
post #11 of 21 Old 04-06-2002, 01:58 PM

I have had my 1080 running for about 1 1/2 months and no guide loss yet. I sometimes turn mine off, but I only get the standard programs. I guess that is the 101 satellite. Could the set get confused by two satellites?
post #12 of 21 Old 04-06-2002, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Walkerjd..
It's far more likely that the Advanced guide informaton is either missing from the 119 sat or corrupted. One would think that, when you power down the Zenith, it wouldn't send the tone to the multiswitch any more and would end up with the 101 sat by default. However, we all know the receiver is active all the time. (Which is why they call it "standby" and not "off" in the manual) So, perhaps it stays wherever you last had it.

Surprised you don't have either a second dish or the oval dish. HDNet is free with any subscription. And, if you have HBO, HBO-HD is included. You can do the extra gear on the cheap. I use two round dishes and a 22-khz switch (not a multiswitch).

Doc

post #13 of 21 Old 04-07-2002, 09:00 AM

Just another data point - I turn mine off (standby) every night, and it is on HBO-HD with HDnet as the jump channel every time. Only lost the guide twice since I got it months ago, and I think those two times everyone lost it. D does do things all the time to hose us (go for the hackers, add channels, mess with stuff they should leave alone, etc). I would not leave out signal strength, or temperature as possible culprits either (both are good in my case).
post #14 of 21 Old 04-08-2002, 08:54 AM

When you say you loose the guide, do you mean all the guide info is completely gone, or just your custom guide settings?

I only remember loosing everything (no guide, no tuning DirecTV channels, no nothing) once, and I had to do some kind of reset and re-scan all the channels.

I do get the problem where my custom guide settings go away periodically and I have to remove all the unwanted ones. To be honest, I don't know how often anymore because I gave up re-customizing them.

Thanks... Ralph
post #15 of 21 Old 04-08-2002, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by rcibera
When you say you loose the guide, do you mean all the guide info is completely gone, or just your custom guide settings?
I can't comment on the custom guide settings because I stopped doing those after losing them once or twice. However, my DTV1080 regularly loses the program titles and descriptions in the guide. The channels are all there and the unit can tune in ATSC or DTV channels no problem. I just can't see what show is on.

It's quite annoying even though I only use the DTV1080 for HBO-HD and HDNet.
post #16 of 21 Old 04-08-2002, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the SR-HD5 (Mits) and am experiencing similar problems. I've been losing the APG info every week or so and have to perform a re-boot. Now there is a new twist-after a re-boot, I get the Sat. B info for a couple of hours then it quits downloading and I get a "To be Announced" on all Sat. B stations while Sat. A stations continue refreshing their info. This has been happening the past two days. I don't believe leaving the receiver on a Sat. A station when turning it off has anything to do with it. I usually always leave it on ch. 509 or 199. I think as long as your connected to Sat. A it doesn't matter what channel you're on. I also have the RCA DTC-100 and have no problem with the Directv program guide at all on the RCA.
post #17 of 21 Old 04-08-2002, 02:00 PM

how about those who are having problems losing thier guides:

do you have the receiver in the setup section looking at the 119 sat or the 101 sat. (where you can change the xponder and view the satellite signal strength)

i have a hughes e86 and had this problem once. at that time i noticed that my signal strength was looking at the 119. i changed this and did the reboot trick and haven't had a problem since. (i might have just jinxed myself but...)
post #18 of 21 Old 04-09-2002, 06:49 AM

Liked: 11
I called Zenith yesterday on the issue of my Custom Guide being wiped out so frequently lately.

The phone support person said they are aware of it (just like they did back in December when I called on the same issue).

No fix in sight. This is close to being a show stopper for me. My DTV1080 might be on eBay in the near future!

.....[sigh]

Bob
post #19 of 21 Old 04-09-2002, 08:17 AM

Mine actually made clicking noises immediately after I switched the channel - as if it was changing inputs to cable or antenna, even though the channel I switched to was a D* channel. It then blanked out and began a channel scan on it own - All my other components, which are attached to the same power conditioner were not effected. It was bizarre, and frankly, downright discouraging.

I love this box for so many reasons, but I'm thinking about contacting a priest for an exorcism.
post #20 of 21 Old 04-09-2002, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Zeke..
Check your cables for shorts. OR you can check your shorts for cables. But I'd bet it's the former. Make sure you have RG-6 all the way from the Zenith to the multiswitch and that it's less than 100 feet. If there's anything in the line that could cause a short, it could very well send the Zenith into a reboot. Static could be a culprit, too. Make sure you grounded everything.

post #21 of 21 Old 04-09-2002, 09:16 AM

Interesting. Thanks for your input. And yes, I think I'd prefer to check my cables for shorts rather than the other way around.

Are you suggesting I should ground the RG-6? How might I do that?

Thanks again.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page