Brooklyn, NY: OTA newbie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-17-2011, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All,

I am new to this forum, referred here by a friend.

I have spent some time searching through threads but most seem way too advanced for me.

After years with cable, I finally realized that I barely watch any television due to my crazy work hours (maybe 2 hours a month of TV). As such, I made the prudent decision and canceled cable, saving me about $60 a month.

I am left with a 42" Plasma TV from about 2000-2001, it is NOT digital. As such, I need to purchase both a digital converter box and an antenna.

I currently live in Brooklyn, NY about 10-15 miles away from the Empire State Building where I believe most stations still transmit. I am on the 3rd floor of a 5 story apartment building. I am not looking for the top of the line items as my TV watching is so infrequent, and one day when I will have more time for TV I will upgrade my entire system.

Until then, I just want a decent quality converter and antenna. From what I read here, it seems as though outdoor antennas are better but I am looking for an indoor one.

I don't even know where to begin!

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks in advance for any/all help!

Sincerely,

JSS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Hit the stickys at the top of the section. There's an OTA FAQ and a list of ATSC set top boxes to get you up and running.

As for antennas, my advice is to start cheap and keep receipts. Grab $10 worth of rabbit ears and work from there.

Thread title edited.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page