Getting guide to 16:9 on comcast DCX3400 Picture is fine - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-23-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having a issue with my DCX3400-M. My channels come in fine in HD and are in 16:9. My guide for some reason is stuck in 4:3 type. I ca not get it to change. In searching and readying I did find someone said with the box off to hit Guide and Info on the front of the box at the same time with it being turned off. That did not help me any.

How do I get the guide into 16:9 mode? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-23-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The guide has to work with user of both 4:3 aspect ratio displays and with user's of 16:9 aspect ratio displays so it is broadcast in 4:3 aspect ratio.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-23-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

The guide has to work with user of both 4:3 aspect ratio displays and with user's of 16:9 aspect ratio displays so it is broadcast in 4:3 aspect ratio.

The weird part is my guide on my HD box goes to the 16:9 formate when I am on HD channel. My HD DVR does not. Is this just something I am going to have to deal with with the DVR that the guide will not go to 16:9 formate?
post #4 of 20 Old 01-23-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veener88 View Post

The weird part is my guide on my HD box goes to the 16:9 formate when I am on HD channel. My HD DVR does not. Is this just something I am going to have to deal with with the DVR that the guide will not go to 16:9 formate?

What is your cable company and what software guide are they using I.e Sara , passport, tvguide etc.? If you don't know maybe post a picture of the guide so we can help as it mostly depends on which you are using.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-23-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Does the guide stretch to 16:9 based on the settings on your HD Box or is it truly a separate 16:9 unstretched guide with more information?
post #6 of 20 Old 01-23-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Does the guide stretch to 16:9 based on the settings on your HD Box or is it truly a separate 16:9 unstretched guide with more information?

At my house we have the comcast tv guide. It is a 4:3 guide and the only way to get it to fill the screen is to set the boxes resolution to 480i/480p or to stretch/ zoom the pic size using the TVs settings. My guess is that the OPs tv in question is set up right and the one he feels IS right has a setting not set right or zoomed.

But it really all depends on what type of software guide he has. Some I have seen are truly hd guides and allow a native full screen display.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-23-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like I am on S/W ver. 78.54 with a firmware version of 22.65.

When I guide the TV does not switch out of HD. The smaller screen box at the top of the guide is still in 16:9 foremate. The guide is only in 4:3 with black bars on the side.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-23-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Looks like I am on S/W ver. 78.54 with a firmware version of 22.65.

When I guide the TV does not switch out of HD. The smaller screen box at the top of the guide is still in 16:9 foremate. The guide is only in 4:3 with black bars on the side.

Right the tv won't switch out of hd but your guide is still only formatted for 4:3. Unfortunately you are stuck with this unless you would rather have a zoomed in picture or sacrifice hd fir the sake of having a guide that fits the whole screen. And I would check the setting or pic size of your other tv. Chances are your not getting the picture quality you should be as I think something is wrong even though you think it is fine. As I said before there is no way to get the guide to fill the screen on an hd channel without zooming on the tv remote and losing picture quality or having the box set to output a non hd resolution.

The tv with the 4:3 guide on hd channels is the one that is set up properly.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-23-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks. I came off Direct TV where the guide adjusts per your channel. When I asked comcast they stated it should take up the full screen. I got a little confused. Know that I know that is good.

At least in the searching and reading I was able to tweek my box settings a little better to match my TV. .
post #10 of 20 Old 01-23-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Ok thanks. I came off Direct TV where the guide adjusts per your channel. When I asked comcast they stated it should take up the full screen. I got a little confused. Know that I know that is good.

At least in the searching and reading I was able to tweek my box settings a little better to match my TV. .

The cable providers are too lazy to get off their asses and implement a proper widescreen guide. Don't like it, what are you going to do, get another box. Your choices are tivo, moxi, or comcast. They just gave you the middle finger.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

The cable providers are too lazy to get off their asses and implement a proper widescreen guide. Don't like it, what are you going to do, get another box. Your choices are tivo, moxi, or comcast. They just gave you the middle finger.

Qz3fwd , really dude? There are cable companies with native widescreen guides. I happen to work for one that does so I gotta ask how do you form these opinions you spew as fact ? Is it just pure ignorance or are YOU just too lazy to do any research before you contribute nothing helpful to a thread ?
post #12 of 20 Old 01-24-2011, 04:28 AM

post #13 of 20 Old 01-24-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post

Check your 4:3 OVERRIDE setting.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...rola_DVR/Setup

Unfortunately changing it will not make the guide 16:9 on hd channels. This setting is only for your non hd channels picture settings. At this same menu the only way to make the guide fit the screen on an hd channel is to change the hdmi/ ypbpr setting to 480p or 480i but by doing that you will not actually be viewing any HD resolutions at all. But the guide will fill the screen.

Back to the 4:3 override setting:

Set to OFF your SD channels with have black bars on the sides as this leaves non-hd content in it's original format but upconverted to whatever resolution you have set for the hdmi/ypbpr setting. This is good if you have a long delay when switching between SD and HD channels.

Set to 480i or 480p and the pic will be stretched to fit the screen. This setting will cause the delay when changing resolutions.

Set to stretch and it will stretch to fit the screen but also upconvert to 1080i or 720p. This is also good if your tv has a long delay when switching between SD channel and HD channel.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm on Comcast, the guide is 4x3....not a big deal to me at all, I rarely view it for more than a few seconds at a time.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #15 of 20 Old 01-24-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weags View Post
...Back to the 4:3 override setting:
.....Set to 480i or 480p and the pic will be stretched to fit the screen. This setting will cause the delay when changing resolutions. ...
I'll have to disagree with this explanation. Set to 480i (or 480p), SD is sent to your tv as is, where it CAN be zoomed, linear/non-linear stretched, or pillared, depending on your display's capability and the viewer's desires. This setting usually provides the viewer with more pleasing options for SD viewing than the built-in stb options. The delay is associated with the display adjusting for a change in video input format, ie. HD to SD or vice versa.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #16 of 20 Old 01-24-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

I'll have to disagree with this explanation. Set to 480i (or 480p), SD is sent to your tv as is, where it CAN be zoomed, linear/non-linear stretched, or pillared, depending on your display's capability and the viewer's desires. This setting usually provides the viewer with more pleasing options for SD viewing than the built-in stb options. The delay is associated with the display adjusting for a change in video input format, ie. HD to SD or vice versa.

I know what this setting is supposed to do and the theory behind it but for some reason 99% of the TVs I see receive the signal as I stated without additional input from the customer. And a lot of TVs I see do not save pic size settings when switching inputs or resolutions which can cause a lot of fumbling back and forth with remotes on a normal basis to achieve the picture size they desire.

It all depends on what the viewer wants and their level of technical savvy. If they want a stretched pic I set it to 480i, if not I set it to OFF. Having a tv that does not save these pic size settings makes it a hassle and in my experience for most of my customers, as long as I'm not leaving them with a subpar picture and they get the format they like, the fewer things they need to do to watch tv the better.

And yes the delay is resolution switching, which can be avoided by setting to OFF or STRETCH. It all depends on what one desires.

I don't debate the technical aspects and validity of your comments but I just try to make it as easy as possible for people without compromising picture quality and they way I almost always achieve this is by using the settings this way.
post #17 of 20 Old 01-24-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The only HD box in my area that put a full screen guide in HD is the RNG110. The Motorola boxes currently cannot do a full screen guide in HD.
post #18 of 20 Old 01-24-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weags View Post
Unfortunately changing it will not make the guide 16:9 on hd channels.
This is correct, but it will fill the screen when its on an SD channel if you set your TV to stretch. I do so because I don't want to see damage in the areas the black bars are displayed a few years down the line. Better safe than sorry. Also I prefer to let my to TV handle the auto adjustments instead of the STB.

Setting the 4:3 OVERRIDE to 480I is the best as it just feeds my TV the signal and lets it handle it. I'm not on SD channels enough to get bothered by the delay in switching between SD and HD channels. I just flip between HD channels most of the time. All the HD channels are grouped together anyways.
post #19 of 20 Old 11-01-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

The only HD box in my area that put a full screen guide in HD is the RNG110. The Motorola boxes currently cannot do a full screen guide in HD.

Thanks.  This explains a lot.  I had to look up the RNG110, but that was my former box.

I was having some issues, and Comcast swapped my RNG110 for a new RNG150, and now my guide is in 4:3 format.  With the RNG110, it was always appropriate for whatever channel I viewed, whether HD or SD.  It's no big deal, I guess, but it was driving me crazy trying to figure out what the problem was.

post #20 of 20 Old 11-02-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by veener88 View Post

The cable providers are too lazy to get off their asses and implement a proper widescreen guide.

Cox's Trio/Contour is a true 16:9 (switchable to 4:3) guide. 3-hour grid, 2-weeks of listing data...
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page