lcd tv with ntsc tuner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-05-2011, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I brought a Vizio 32" LCD tv that has a NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner built in. Do I still need a TV tuner for my PC to record TV shows. I have a Inspiron 560. If this question is stupid I do apologize. If I do not need to install a tv tuner card in the PC, how do I setup the tv to record to the computer? Thank you. deanie44
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-06-2011, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Since your TV doesn't have a video output you'll need a tuner and RF connection for your PC. Some of the older TVs had a video output but they were only SD composite, something I'm sure you wouldn't want to record from. Besides on those TVs they needed to be ON and tuned to the channel you wanted to record to get a video output, not too handy.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-06-2011, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Even if the TV had a video output, (usually labeled Monitor Out) it would only work for analog channels. I have not seen one yet that encodes ATSC/QAM down to NTSC composite.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #4 of 8 Old 02-06-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

Even if the TV had a video output, (usually labeled Monitor Out) it would only work for analog channels. I have not seen one yet that encodes ATSC/QAM down to NTSC composite.

Actually their were quite a few of the first HDTVs w/digital tuners that had a monitor out. I used my Panasonics monitor out feed a DVDR so I could record the new digital channels. Even though the picture quality was SD composite, it wasn't too bad, better than analog.
I know for sure Panasonic and Sony digital TVs included the monitor out jack, circa '05-'07 but I think by '08 that feature was pretty well dead as more recording devices started having built in digital tuners.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Yeah, I had a Panny that had it. Pio's had it, too (the Elite I have now does). Most of the TV's which had built-in TVGOS had it. You could set up the recordings with it through the A/V outs.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-06-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

..... Most of the TV's which had built-in TVGOS had it. You could set up the recordings with it through the A/V outs.

Are you saying the recorder could actually turn the TV ON, or would you program the TVGOS on the TV and it would turn ON at the correct time/channel? If either is correct that sounds like a nice feature, I wouldn't like to have leave the TV ON for future recordings which is why my Panasonic TVs monitor out wasn't utilized very much, only really good for recording TV as I watched it.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-06-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Get a tuner card for your PC.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-06-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Are you saying the recorder could actually turn the TV ON, or would you program the TVGOS on the TV and it would turn ON at the correct time/channel? If either is correct that sounds like a nice feature, I wouldn't like to have leave the TV ON for future recordings which is why my Panasonic TVs monitor out wasn't utilized very much, only really good for recording TV as I watched it.

Now that I think of it, I believe it uses an IR blaster and the blaster only works with VCR's .

I don't even recall if I got IR blasters with the TV's. I'll have to look in the manual for my Pio.

I'm not sure if you had to leave the TV on or not (from memory, I don't think you had to, though. I don't recall if the TV turns itself on to record, but it does have to be from it's internal tuner, of course. I'll have to look that up, too).

I don't see why you couldn't record to a DVD recorder if you set manual timers on it.

I never used the feature, because I have one of those Pios which turns itself off unexpectedly occasionally, and you get the "twelve, blue blinks of death" when the TVGOS is set up (also, I had the Sony HD DVR, and now the TiVo, so I never needed it, anyway). I don't use the guide at all on it - it has something to do with when it's downloading data, I think. I tried it again after the OTA analog TVGOS cutoff to see if it would work with the digital signal, but it still did it (and no guide data, anyway). It's version 8, whereas the Panny I had had the much improved version 9. Would've kept the high-end Panny if I hadn't have gone through three of them, and they all didn't have this godawful green overcast to everything SD that I couldn't get rid of, even through the service menu, which I was really risking going into.

It's too bad they didn't continue with something like that feature on your Sony LCD, even if the guide is only 24 hours.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page