Lexington, KY: OTA indoor attic antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
live in Lexington, KY get all channels pretty good except one (67.1).

* yellow
uhf WLEX-DT 18.1 NBC LEXINGTON, KY 25° 1.9 39
* yellow
uhf WDKY-DT 56.1 FOX DANVILLE, KY 157° 10.0 31
* yellow
vhf WKYT-DT 27.1 CBS LEXINGTON, KY 10° 2.2 13
* yellow
uhf WTVQ-DT 36.1 ABC LEXINGTON, KY 25° 1.9 40
* blue
uhf WKLE-DT 46.1 PBS LEXINGTON, KY 159° 9.9 42
* violet
uhf WUPX-DT 67.1 ION MOREHEAD, KY 104° 42.7 21

From time to time the channel comes in just fine but sometimes it messes up and won't work. Right now I have what I feel is a very cheap RCA multi dir flat antenna. This antenna works pretty much the same down on the first floor sitting on my entertainment center or up in the attic (2 story house).

I think if I could just get a higher quality antenna I may get this channel more reliably. What ever I do I would not want to sacrifice channel 56.1 which is basically the opposite direction of 67.1.

Please any recommendations on a better antenna that could help me out. If you don't think it will really help then please let me know. Outdoor is not an option.

Also any information I need to know on splitting this antenna signal (does splitter have to be certain range?)? As I plan on doing this shortly to run it to a DVR plus the TV.

Replay 4040
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If you can post your tvfool results, it would show in detail what your situation is.
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29
Your address will not be displayed.
It gives better info than antennaweb.

But from quickly glancing at the info you provided, you are fairly close to the transmitters except for Ch 67. Plus you need a combo VHF/UHF antenna.
Since Ch 67 is 42 miles away, you are going to issues with signal strength. What model RCA antenna do you have? Is it in the attic now? If you get 67 good sometimes, maybe an amp would help. You should also have RG6 cable running from the antenna to the TV.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

post #4 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

also I did run RG6 and the antenna says on the back with a sticker 1841GM only but I'm not sure it is the actual model.

It looks like this:
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT1450B-M...7339924&sr=8-3

has a amp with it but never noticed a difference with it on or off.

Replay 4040
post #5 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Those flat panel antennas seldom work well at all.

This one installed in your attic, may work a lot better for your channels of interest, assuming you don't have a metal or tile roof or foil-backed insulation anywhere in the attic walls or roof decking.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
This goes to show how inaccurate antennaweb is. They show WKYT broadcasts on real Ch13, when tv fool shows its on real Ch36, which is correct.
So the good news is you need only a UHF antenna ( unless you like to get WKLC Christian Broadcasting on real Ch7).
The bad news is FOX and PBS are 180 degrees opposite to the south of where CBS,NBC and ABC are up North. But if you get a simple bowtie antenna and have it face broadside to the north and south, you should get them with no problem.
Ch 67 is to the west of you, which means you have to point the antenna west. It is also 42 miles away, which explains why you have problems with it. Try adding some height to the antenna . As arxaw said, those "sleek" antennas don't do well.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson23 View Post
live in Lexington, KY get all channels pretty good except one (67.1)..
1) You no longer need a VHF antenna, all those stations are on UHF now.

2) You should consider two UHF antennas running into an A/B switch (or a rotor with one antenna.)

3) Specific recommendations for 67.1? A few years ago, I would have suggested a ChannelMaster 4221 (4 bay UHF,) but since the design change I can't vouch for them anymore.

4) It's not a lost cause, I'm another 25-30mi farther away from the station and I have no problem with it if I swing the (rooftop) antenna (original-recipe CM4228) around to the correct azimuth.

5) You'll probably have to resort to either the A/B switch or rotor method, a one antenna fits all approach doesn't really work.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-12-2011, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Is pretty much anything better pretty directional?

I don't want to get into losing my Fox channels.

Antenna rotation and two antenna are probably out of the question as those channels are not that interesting. I was just hoping a little better antenna would improve that signal.

Is that recommended eagle pretty directional? Or a pretty good upgrade which should give me all my channels and maybe improve 67.1.

Also the antenna is currently in the attic now with no amplifier. I could hook up the amplifier but I have never noticed a difference with it.

Replay 4040
post #9 of 9 Old 02-12-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Eagle Aspen antenna I linked to will likely work for the major network channels of interest; CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX & PBS (in green, on your TVFool report), if aimed South. The channels very roughly to the North will be received off the back side of the antenna.

Another option which may give you equal gain in both directions, would be a ChannelMaster 4221HD with the reflector removed to make it bi-directional. If the reflector is removed, move/relocate the mounting bracket from the reflector to the lower portion of the antenna boom.

With your strong reception, an amp would likely overload your signals and make reception worse. If you connected to a lot of TVs, a distribution amp might be needed, but only add if needed.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page