HDMI V1.2 vs. V1.3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-19-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope I am in the right place for this question. I am setting up a system with both a 50" Plasma, and a 92" Front Projector that will drop down in front of the plasma. I need to route signals to both the plasma and the projector. I have decided that a 4x2 HDMI Matrix Switch is the best way to do this. I am not willing to drop a GRAND on a DVDO iScan Duo, (twice what I paid for my projector) since I don't need all the scaling/processing anyway because I will be letting my Oppo BDP-83SE do the scaling. I have narrowed my search down to a used Gefen EXT-HDMI-442 or something like a Monoprice 4x2 True Matrix switch. My question is, Would I be better off going with the Gefen which is obviously better quality but is 5X more expensive than the Monoprice and only V1.2 compliant, or the Monoprice which is WAY cheaper, and V1.3 compliant. As far as I can tell, the only thing I might loose with the Gefen is support for "Deep-Color." (However important that is) My projector is a Sanyo PLV-Z700. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-19-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Go least expensive switch and "high speed" HDMI cables. I'm not aware of any devices that use "deep color" at this time.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-20-2011, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

I just looked up the specs, and it turns out that both the Oppo and the Sanyo support Deep-Color so maybe I should stick with V1.3 products.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-20-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Not sure I 'get' Deep Colo(u)r unless you have a camcorder that supports it.

All current broadcast TV and pre-recorded optical media is plain-old 8 bit 4:2:0 YCrCb (16-234/26-240) - so unless you are shooting your own deep colo(u)r content - what is going to be the benefit of having it? (Same argument holds for xvycc doesn't it?)
post #5 of 9 Old 03-20-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I probably should have not said "devices" that use deep color. It's more accurate that although newer hardware may "support" deep color, most recorded/broadcst material(s) does not provide deep color content.

" It is extremely important to understand that every movie that was ever transferred to a DVD or other digital format has been transferred using 8-bit color depth. While the newest Deep Color format might give an improvement in the quality of the picture, there is no content currently available, no archived material, no movies, and no TV shows, that can be trans-coded easily into the new system. With the current problems of Digital Rights Management (DRM) and High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) just starting to be worked out, it is highly unlikely that the entertainment industry and Hollywood will hurry to produce software that is an exact copy of the original movie quality. The first place Deep Color will be used is in advanced gaming systems, starting with the Playstation 3 in November 2006."
http://www.abccables.com/info-deep-color.html
post #6 of 9 Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
That quote may not be 100% accurate.

Whilst pre-recorded optical media releases and digital TV broadcasts to the home use 8 bit - there are some broadcast sources that use 10bit within production and mastering areas. (HD Cam SR supports 10 bit 4:2:2, as do the HD-SDI and SDI interconnect specs. I can't remember if DigiBeta is 10bit on-tape or just for interconnect - I think it is 10 bit on tape)

However there is no current mainstream route to get this 10bit content to the home viewer - so no current domestic source (other than domestic camcorders and games consoles) can exploit Deep Colo(u)r.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-20-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

However there is no current mainstream route to get this 10bit content to the home viewer - so no current domestic source (other than domestic camcorders and games consoles) can exploit Deep Colo(u)r.

Though I think there are some receivers that can "upscale" (ie. smooth out) an 8-bit source to "deep colour" / higher bit-depth to smooth out banding but it's not real higher bit-depths/colour it's just guessing.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-20-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

That quote may not be 100% accurate. .

Even so... it's 99% accurate.
Close enough for govenment work.

To note: That was written quite a while ago and 4 years later... still waiting.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

What does anybody know about HDTV Supply? They have a couple of affordable Matrix Switches where you can set your own EDID info, and they have IR repeaters built in so I can control my projector which is behind the wall!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page