post #61 of 80 Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I bought mine at Fry's last week and the picture is very good. A slight improvement over Direct tv hd feed. I will only use for sports to try and get the best signal to my projector. The audio did seem a little off though. Lower in volume and not as active in the surrounds for the NFL game I watched on Saturday - compared to normal hd games. I will play around more with it as it may just be I need to really crank up the volume compared to Direct TV dish.

Anyone getting Dolby Digital on this?

I have the audio hooked up through the Toslink Optical audio cable but am only getting two channel signal into my AVR. I get Dolby Digital 5.1 from my TV's OTA tuner - but not this one? Is there a mystery setting on the CM-7001? I have it set to PCM in the audio menu.

Seems REALLY odd to not be able to get DD but then supply Toslink for an audio connection??

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Old 01-21-2013, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Anyone getting Dolby Digital on this?

I have the audio hooked up through the Toslink Optical audio cable but am only getting two channel signal into my AVR. I get Dolby Digital 5.1 from my TV's OTA tuner - but not this one? Is there a mystery setting on the CM-7001? I have it set to PCM in the audio menu.

Seems REALLY odd to not be able to get DD but then supply Toslink for an audio connection??

I got one a few weeks ago and get DD via optical out without an issue. Reciever issue?
post #63 of 80 Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Albert View Post

I got one a few weeks ago and get DD via optical out without an issue. Reciever issue?

Thanks for the response!

my AVR is set up to take 7.1, but pending the signal, will downgrade. I can see my native setup and what is coming in.
(Is funny to see the loud movie trailers on a bluray and they are two channel lossy)

You are getting5.1? This doesn't have a ton of audio settings but what are your settings on the cm-7001?

I emailed channel master but no response yet.

This really feels like a setup issue somewhere...

post #64 of 80 Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 AM

What's funny is that I'm getting 5.1 via optical, but only stereo if I use the audio over HDMI
post #65 of 80 Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Albert View Post

What's funny is that I'm getting 5.1 via optical, but only stereo if I use the audio over HDMI

Ah, interesting. Theoretically, I set my AVR up to use audio from the optical cable but maybe it is just taking it from the HDMI?

I will unplug the optical when I get home and see if I am still getting audio.

Thanks!

post #66 of 80 Old 01-23-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, interesting. Theoretically, I set my AVR up to use audio from the optical cable but maybe it is just taking it from the HDMI?

I will unplug the optical when I get home and see if I am still getting audio.

Thanks!

Got it working. AC3 is the audio setting on the CM-7001 to pass DD. But, even with that my AVR was somehow taking the HDMI audio feed and had to disconnect the hdmi cable and then it forced the audio through the optical cable. Weird. All is good to go now and looking forward to the Superbowl in all it's hidef and DD glory. smile.gif

post #67 of 80 Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 AM

Liked: 10
New here, just curious as maybe some here might have more knowledge than I do right now, and I didn't think my question warranted its own thread.

I had a Samsung DTB260F HD reciever, and personally loved it, used it with my Projector and had great results.

however, i had my house broken into, and this receiver was stolen, and now trying to find a replacement, the only thing i can seem to find that is a set top box with HDMI out is this CM box, but it seems to have so-so reviews, are there any other options in this market? Or just stuck with this?

Thanks
post #68 of 80 Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Check out PHD-8VX from ePVision, or their PHD-VRX dual tuner DVR which also makes a great OTA tuner box. Both have better menu features and provide program info, whereas the 7001 does not. And both have very good tuners for receiving weak and distant signals.
post #69 of 80 Old 02-15-2013, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My tv will only autoscan channels, and punching in the real channel number to add it manually is not supported on my set.

Since I live between 2 major cities and have a rotor, I need a device that will let me manually add channels of do a 'add on scan'

Will this work for me?
post #70 of 80 Old 02-15-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxDx View Post

My tv will only autoscan channels, and punching in the real channel number to add it manually is not supported on my set.

Since I live between 2 major cities and have a rotor, I need a device that will let me manually add channels of do a 'add on scan'

Will this work for me?
NO - THE CM7001 DOES NOT SUPPORT MANUAL TUNING OF CHANNELS. Nor does it provide program info. It would not be the right choice for you. Since you live between 2 markets, and may need 2 different antennas, the best choice would be the PHD-VRX from ePVision. It has dual inputs and 2 different tuners, so 2 different antennas could be used without an A/B switch or rotor. And even though you may not need a DVR, the VRX is still a very good dual tuner box for OTA reception, with a very strong tuner for receiving fringe channels. And it does support manual tuning and does provide full program information. That would be a very good choice. But if you don't need the dual tuners, then their PHD-8VX box also has a very good tuner and allows for manual tuning, along with providing program info.
post #71 of 80 Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 AM

My current antenna 3star 4228 is UHF only and I have it on a 30ft mast and a aspen eagle rotator.

I am not picking up any of the Tampa high VHF channels (CBS, NBC, FOX).

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1dda7cd543a9de

The Tampa UHF's are coming in strong. I am thinking about adding a directional multi-band to the very top of the pole and filtering out the UHF from it with this combiner.
I am also going to add a 30 db pre-amp to the antenna on the VHF side of the combiner. The small antenna only list a 45 mile range, but I think with a pre-amp, 30 ft mast, and flat Florida land in between I will pick them up. There is only one high VHF in orlando and I can pick it up on the backside of the UHF antenna just fine.

I do not want a preamp on the UHF antenna, as I do not want to overdrive the Orlando stations that are only about 20 miles away.

I have been reading up on the PHD-VRX and I think it will do what I need. I like how I can hook my DTV HR20, my Roku, and my Blu-ray in to it to kinda of centralize it all.
post #72 of 80 Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Both Winegard and Antennacraft make HiVHF 7-13 antennas which should work good for those channels from Tampa. And you could order the low gain dual input preamp from Antennacraft to join both antennas. I don't think your UHF would overload since the antenna would be pointed towards Tampa, and you order the lower gain version.
post #73 of 80 Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 PM

I have a rotor so I was planing on them both facing them same direction.
post #74 of 80 Old 04-03-2013, 02:03 PM

Just found out that the PHD-8VX is not in stock and may or may not be manufactured anymore. According to an EPvision sales person, they have a cheaper replacement (PHD-208) that will be available in early May but has no HDMI inputs so it cannot be used as an HDMI switcher like the 8VX box. I believe the the 208 will compete directly with 7001 model at the same price point. The 208 has 3 inputs: 1 RF ATSC/QAM/NTSC, 1 composite video, 1 USB (in the back). The 4 outputs: 1 HDMI, 1 composite, 1 L/R audio, 1 digital Audio optical. Pretty scaled back from the 8VX model!
post #75 of 80 Old 04-12-2013, 09:14 AM

Liked: 16
I just received a new CM 7001. It captured all OTA channels on the first scan with a very temporary antenna, so I haven't tried adding a channel manually or the manual scan option. According to the manual, the auto scan does not save previously saved channels. So you can disconnect the antenna and scan to erase all saved channels. The manual scan simply adds on new channels to the already saved ones. And as fast as it performs a scan, who cares if it won't manually add a single channel.
post #76 of 80 Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 AM

Thought I would update above post. I did miss a couple of channels when doing initial auto scan. So I thought I would explore the manual scan option. You can't add or even select a saved channel by selecting the actual channel number from the keypad, unless that is the virtual # as well. The manual scan lets you arrow left/right through channels 2-69. They all say 'inactive'. But you can select the actual channel number to add and it will do a quick scan and add it. So you can add single channels. The only way to completely get rid of a channel would be to do an auto scan without antenna, erasing all, then add one at a time. I haven't checked out doing this myself.
This unit has what I would call a typical 'clunky' OS, like most cheap digital stuff out there now. But it should serve my purpose.
post #77 of 80 Old 07-18-2013, 06:15 PM

Apologies for the noob question - I'm trying to learn more about this...

I have an old Sony Wega without a digital tuner (model KV-30HS420) that I'd like to use in the kids' TV room. I'll be connecting directly to the coaxial cable and won't be using an external antenna (is this considered clear QAM? I have a newer TV in the house that is able to pick up the basic channels with just the cable connected to the set). Will this unit serve my purpose? I need something with a clear QAM tuner (to 'read' the unscrambled channels over the coax), correct?

Thanks in advance.
post #78 of 80 Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I would get a PHD-208 from ePVision instead. Better tuner and overall menu interface. Plus provides program info with an antenna, and more complete channel list. It will also tune all of the clear qam local cable channels, and I believe analog cable as well. And you can manually add and delete channels. A better choice, price about $119.
post #79 of 80 Old 08-20-2013, 03:41 PM

I have been using the cm7001 for 4 months now for OTA. This tuner simply refuses to display cleanly UHF 29, (9.1, 9.2 in KCMO). Reception is not the issue, since all other tuners, TVs have no problem using the same antenna. The picture is always badly pixilated, with audio dropping out constantly. I would say something is wrong at the channel source, except other tuners have no problem. Other channels are ok on this unit.
Anyone tuning UHF 29 successfully or unsuccessfully?
post #80 of 80 Old 08-21-2013, 07:12 PM

Please disregard the above post. Apparently my surround wireless Tx is a little too close to the 7001 tuner. It is an Auvio and transmits at 2.4GHz. At least posting got me motivated to get serious with the problem. The CM gets only occasional use.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page