Channel Master CM-7001 ATSC / Clear QAM HDTV tuner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 80 Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This will supposedly be available in April, but can be pre-ordered now from Channel Master.

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/HD..._p/cm-7001.htm

Has HDMI, component-video, S-video, composite video, stereo analog audio, and optical digital audio outputs.

The manual describes the EPG as "Simple guide lists the following program’s information of current channel." No grid-type display of all available channels. And there's no mention of a TVGOS setup procedure. So it must be PSIP-only and not hybrid TVGOS/PSIP as on the CM-7000PAL DVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 03-25-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Wow they've kept the S-video, basically an orphan format now days. Unless I'm mistaken it looks like they still don't have APT or a way to loop the RF without it being modulated. I only see a CH3/CH4 switch but no OFF position.
Much nicer looking remote than my CM7000s and I hope it's picture quality and tuner are as good or even better than the excellent 7000, of course HDMI/Component will be HD. Looks like they've also added QAM, which of course was forbidden on the CECB 7000.
If I were in a market for such a product I'd seriously consider it
post #3 of 80 Old 03-26-2011, 01:16 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It is missing separate inputs for antenna and cable. That would be a feature that would tempt me to replace the Centronics ZAT 502 HD that I have already.
post #4 of 80 Old 03-27-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
DAP,
That's too bad. It sounds like a fatal flaw for anyone looking to easily watch OTA and QAM cable channels on the same box.

TVGOS would've been nice, too.
post #5 of 80 Old 03-27-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Kinda worthless without two RF inputs. Almost worthless RF output.
Great info on their web page; USB & Ethernet ports listed but are not present.

Another example of what happens when some other corporation comes in and buys out the name.

Quote:
TVGOS would've been nice,
Keep dreaming.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #6 of 80 Old 04-18-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone pre-order this box and received it? The website states that it is shipping April 15th.

I just pre-ordered so not sure when I would be receiving it. Will post back when I get some details.

Side note: Thanks jjeff for enlightening me on this thread.
post #7 of 80 Old 04-18-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Mine was shipped on Friday 4/15 so am waiting to receive it. Sales rep said on phone it has same sensitive tuner as CM 7000 converter box and DVR. Eager to examine its features and performance. And by the way, Channel Master is now the consumer division of PCT and most of its products are now made overseas. As reported previously, the old CM antennas made in the US are no more. (Smithfield NC shutdown). But the current PCT imported products are not necessarily inferior, but just not the same.
post #8 of 80 Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Sales rep said on phone it has same sensitive tuner as CM 7000 converter box and DVR.

How good is that tuner? Did the rep say which generation?
post #9 of 80 Old 04-20-2011, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

It along with the Zenith DTT-9000/9001 were know as the best tuners available in a CECB. I believe they were 6th gen, whatever is the newest. I would have hoped a slight improvement with the 7001 but the 7000 was an excellent box for reception, especially weak signal reception. I'd give a very slight nod to the 9000/9001 for multipath.
post #10 of 80 Old 04-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Hi,
Let us know how it turns out. I hope it is newer generation tuner than the CM7000PAL DVR. I have that, and am in a multipath prone location. My cheap sanyo bedroom LCD that I bought at walmart, and my Samsung 58" Plasma tuners do a much better job than the DVR. The TV tuners rarely cut out on all channels; and when I hook the DVR up, a couple channels are pretty unwatchable. I was kinda blown away since the 7000PAL gets good reviews of how well it's tuner is.

I just ordered a different, less powerful amp, and a stronger/narrower beam yagi for the roof; I'm hoping to improve the signal quality just enough and dial in a little better to make the 7000PAL rock solid. I really want DVR capabilities. Wish they'd make a 7001DVR! My wife won't let me cancel our $90 a month dish network until I make the DVR signal rock solid!

Bob C
post #11 of 80 Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post

I hope it is newer generation tuner than the CM7000PAL DVR.

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I don't believe anything newer than the 6th generation has been released.

But it has to be better than your CM7000PAL DVR's tuner, because that device uses the same tuner that's in the DTVPal Plus CECB - and if it's true that the tuner in the CM-7001 is at least as good as the CM-7000 CECB's, than it is indeed better.
post #12 of 80 Old 04-22-2011, 12:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My wife won't let me cancel our $90 a month dish network until I make the DVR signal rock solid!

I don't understand why you've been paying $90 for extended programming from Dish, when it sounds as if you're saying your wife would be satisfied with just the OTA locals (as long as their solid).

I'd at least downgrade Dish as much as possible before I got the OTA stable. I mean, if paying that much really bothers you as much as you make it sound like.
post #13 of 80 Old 04-22-2011, 10:03 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hi,
Let us know how it turns out. I hope it is newer generation tuner than the CM7000PAL DVR. I have that, and am in a multipath prone location. My cheap sanyo bedroom LCD that I bought at walmart, and my Samsung 58" Plasma tuners do a much better job than the DVR. The TV tuners rarely cut out on all channels; and when I hook the DVR up, a couple channels are pretty unwatchable. I was kinda blown away since the 7000PAL gets good reviews of how well it's tuner is.

I just ordered a different, less powerful amp, and a stronger/narrower beam yagi for the roof; I'm hoping to improve the signal quality just enough and dial in a little better to make the 7000PAL rock solid. I really want DVR capabilities. Wish they'd make a 7001DVR! My wife won't let me cancel our $90 a month dish network until I make the DVR signal rock solid!

Bob C

I spoke with tech support at Channel Master about a month ago, I was told they have another DVR coming out that will use the ethernet port for more stable programming guide updates, instead of TVGOS/PSIP. He didn't mention if it was going to be OTA only or OTA/cable( like Tivo ). He also didn't mention if it was going to be free or fee based.

post #14 of 80 Old 04-22-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Received my CM7001 tuner today and it is an exact clone of the Centronics ZAT502 box rebranded as Channel Master. Same menu set up and user interface as Centronics and probably uses the same Samsung tuner. Not the same mechanics as CM 7000 DVR or converter box which both used the same tuner and made in Bulgaria. CM 7001 and Centronics remotes are interchangeable as I now own both units and tried them both. And like the ZAT502, the CM7001 does not provide detailed program info other than title.
post #15 of 80 Old 04-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

OT:
Got my 91XG mounted yesterday with my 7777 amp. Everything is stable except ION and CBS. So good enough to cancel dish.
Going to play around with antenna positions this weekend to see if I can bring ion and cbs to stable.
Bob C
post #16 of 80 Old 04-22-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Received my CM7001 tuner today and it is an exact clone of the Centronics ZAT502 box rebranded as Channel Master. Same menu set up and user interface as Centronics and probably uses the same Samsung tuner. Not the same mechanics as CM 7000 DVR or converter box which both used the same tuner and made in Bulgaria. CM 7001 and Centronics remotes are interchangeable as I now own both units and tried them both. And like the ZAT502, the CM7001 does not provide detailed program info other than title.

That's not good, I thought the phone rep told you it was the same tuner as on the CM7000 If the remote codes are the same as your ZAT then it probably is made by the same company, Channel Master seems to be going down the toilet like lots of other US named companies!
The CM7000 had a nice guide with full program info, it was one of the things that attracted me to the box.
post #17 of 80 Old 04-22-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:

That's too bad.
I think I'll probably grab another CM 7000 DVR then. A detailed program guide makes the OTA experience so much better.
I have a Vizio TV( VO47 ) that has a nice detailed EPG( EXAMPLE on Pg 35 of the manual pdf http://www.vizio.com/documents/downl...7LF/Manual.pdf ). My SONY TV( 52XBR5 ) & Panasonic TV( TC-P65V10 ), both only provide the program title, like the CM7001. I was really looking forward to getting the CM7001, to use with my Panasonic.

post #18 of 80 Old 04-22-2011, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Received my CM7001 tuner today and it is an exact clone of the Centronics ZAT502 box rebranded as Channel Master.

No ability to delete subchannels, no likey.
post #19 of 80 Old 04-22-2011, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

That's not good, I thought the phone rep told you it was the same tuner as on the CM7000 If the remote codes are the same as your ZAT then it probably is made by the same company, Channel Master seems to be going down the toilet like lots of other US named companies!
The CM7000 had a nice guide with full program info, it was one of the things that attracted me to the box.

As usual, sales rep lacked technical knowledge and was wrong. I was hoping for an HD version of the CM7000 and ended up with a rebranded ZAT502. Although not a bad unit, the CM7001 does not provide the full program info that I wanted for my Panasonic GT25. But the pic quality is very good via HDMI and eliminates the need for an A/B switch with cable. But I am still looking for a unit with full program info; probably CM7000 DVR or PrimeDTV PHD8VX box.
post #20 of 80 Old 04-22-2011, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPIZ View Post

That's too bad.
I think I'll probably grab another CM 7000 DVR then. A detailed program guide makes the OTA experience so much better.
I have a Vizio TV( VO47 ) that has a nice detailed EPG( EXAMPLE on Pg 35 of the manual pdf http://www.vizio.com/documents/downl...7LF/Manual.pdf ). My SONY TV( 52XBR5 ) & Panasonic TV( TC-P65V10 ), both only provide the program title, like the CM7001. I was really looking forward to getting the CM7001, to use with my Panasonic.

Yes...detailed program info is exactly what I'm looking for with my Panasonic GT25, and unfortunately the CM7001 will not provide it. I am now trying to confirm if the PrimeDTV PHD-8VX tuner will provide this info. It is nice to have an included description of the program you are watching, as Samsung TVs provide this complete PSIP data. Don't understand why the high quality, high end Panasonic plasmas do not. May consider CM7000 DVR as well.
post #21 of 80 Old 04-23-2011, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't understand why the high quality, high end Panasonic plasmas do not.

I don't think Panasonic ever had a PSIP guide. I know my older Panasonic LCD only has current channel program title and nothing more Vizio seems to have a full PSIP guide and select Sonys have TVGOS although it seems to be getting harder to find on current Sonys
post #22 of 80 Old 04-23-2011, 09:12 AM

With the resurgence of OTA use, maybe Samsung, SONY, or Vizio( http://www.ultimateavmag.com/content...t-top-receiver ) will re-enter the OTA HD set top box market, or maybe Humax will get serious about the U.S. market.

post #23 of 80 Old 04-23-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

When it comes to "quality" stuff with good support, the powers-that-be want continual fees or costs to be involved. Anything else "standalone" you might find otherwise is going to be junk that will have to be replaced frequently.

So they've got you one way or another.
post #24 of 80 Old 04-23-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I wouldn't hold my breath on that.....

I also agree but more for the fact that every new HDTV comes with a built in digital tuner and the older HDTVs that didn't include a HD tuner are probably dying by the day. I surprised CM would release such a device now but I guess if it's just a re-brand of an existing product they wouldn't have much R&D tied up in it.
post #25 of 80 Old 04-23-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I also agree but more for the fact that every new HDTV comes with a built in digital tuner and the older HDTVs that didn't include a HD tuner are probably dying by the day.

There isn't much of a market, and whatever little there is has to be dwindling, like you say (certainly not enough for the major companies to even bother), but a lot of older TV's are still running fine (especially CRT's), and will probably keep going a lot longer than "the forces that be" would prefer to see.

I agree it's not very understandable why they'd even be releasing this stuff now. Not for that company, anyway. They sure have changed, though.

I'm still trying to deal with the way Crutchfield is selling the CM-7000PAL DVR now. That one's totally unbelievable to me. Talk about chancing ruining a fantastic reputation in one, fell swoop overnight.
post #26 of 80 Old 04-23-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I also agree but more for the fact that every new HDTV comes with a built in digital tuner and the older HDTVs that didn't include a HD tuner are probably dying by the day. I surprised CM would release such a device now but I guess if it's just a re-brand of an existing product they wouldn't have much R&D tied up in it.
Quote:
I spoke with tech support at Channel Master about a month ago, I was told they have another DVR coming out that will use the ethernet port for more stable programming guide updates, instead of TVGOS/PSIP. He didn't mention if it was going to be OTA only or OTA/cable( like Tivo ). He also didn't mention if it was going to be free or fee based.
Hmm... I wonder what the product I described above could possibly be a re-brand of? My initial inquiry to Channel Master was about the CM-7001's EPG( Does it use TVGOS like the CM-7000 DVR? ). The Tech was honest in his response that it didn't use TVGOS, but instead just provided basic on-screen program info( which has been confirmed here by tylerSC ). He then mentioned that they have a new DVR product coming, that will use the internet for programming guide updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post
There isn't much of a market, and whatever little there is has to be dwindling, like you say (certainly not enough for the major companies to even bother), but a lot of older TV's are still running fine (especially CRT's), and will probably keep going a lot longer than "the forces that be" would prefer to see.

I agree it's not very understandable why they'd even be releasing this stuff now. Not for that company, anyway. They sure have changed, though.

I'm still trying to deal with the way Crutchfield is selling the CM-7000PAL DVR now. That one's totally unbelievable to me. Talk about chancing ruining a fantastic reputation in one, fell swoop overnight.
I'm sure Crutchfield has sold worse & survived. I ordered my CM-7000PAL DVR from Crutchfield, flawless function so far . It's also outselling the TiVo Premiere & getting higher review ratings at Crutchfield. If it weren't performing well for me, I'd probably get a TiVo Premiere though .

post #27 of 80 Old 04-23-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
As usual, sales rep lacked technical knowledge and was wrong. I was hoping for an HD version of the CM7000 and ended up with a rebranded ZAT502. Although not a bad unit, the CM7001 does not provide the full program info that I wanted for my Panasonic GT25. But the pic quality is very good via HDMI and eliminates the need for an A/B switch with cable.But I am still looking for a unit with full program info; probably CM7000 DVR or PrimeDTV PHD8VX box.
The PHD-8VX does provide full program info( Pg 18 in the manual http://epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-8VXv1.65w.pdf ).

I've been trying to hold out for the PHD-eZ1(
http://epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdez1pre.htm , http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1262996 ).

post #28 of 80 Old 04-23-2011, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm sure Crutchfield has sold worse & survived. I ordered my CM-7000PAL DVR from Crutchfield, flawless function so far.
Unless you consider Bose worse, they really haven't (they might still sell some cheap auto gear like Audiovox XM or Sirius players, but I'm not talking about that kind of stuff). Not for standalone, A/V components, anyway. They had too many complaints about the declining quality of Onkyo receivers a couple of years back, and that's why they stopped selling them (and they sold them for a long, long time prior).

I can believe it outsells TiVo, though. That's not hard to fathom, especially since they've made TiVo more expensive since the CM7000 DVR came out, and done away with most of the cost-saving deals. Plus, the build quality and QC's not as good as even their last model, the TiVo HD. And then there's that economy thing, too.

At least one, good thing, though - if you do order the Pal DVR from Crutchfield, you shouldn't have any issues at all returning or exchanging it - unless even they've gone downhill there, too.
post #29 of 80 Old 04-23-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The PHD-8VX does provide full program info( Pg 18 in the manual http://epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-8VXv1.65w.pdf ).

I've been trying to hold out for the PHD-eZ1(
http://epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdez1pre.htm , http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1262996 ).
Looking at the manual, the PHD-8VX does appear to provide complete program info and looks like the tuner that has all the features that I want. I've heard the video scaling/pic quality is very good. They sent me a coupon discount so will order from them next week.
post #30 of 80 Old 04-25-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC
This has caused me to cancel my order for the CM 7001 and wait for something different.

Can you all suggest the next best? Tuner for a Mac would be great as well. Thanks!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page