AT&T U-Verse: An Experience (Not a good one.) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently moved into a new house - and had my Charter Cable installed. I looked at U-Verse, but AT&T literally could not answer any of my questions. That organization just seemed incompetent. They ran fiber optics to the node (FTTN) - then ran copper wires to the home in my neighborhood. (I spoke to the installation engineer.) Evidently, here is AT&T's policy when it comes to fiber optic installations:

- Neighborhood with more than 50 homes ---> Fiber Optic to the Premises (FTTP)
- Neighborhood with less than 50 homes ---> Fiber Optic to the Node (FTTN) only

Unbelievable, right? I thought I would pass this along to anyone who is possibly looking at using AT&T for their cable/internet.

Additionally, I found that the cost of the service was going to be pretty expensive versus other providers. - Almost 40-50% higher after the 6 Month "SPECIAL" expired.

I think AT&T needs another year before that offering is stable. - not to mention they need to pull their head outta' their *** and figure out how to install new neighbhorhoods correctly. Copper lines? Really?

Horrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleDude View Post

I recently moved into a new house - and had my Charter Cable installed. I looked at U-Verse, but AT&T literally could not answer any of my questions. That organization just seemed incompetent. They ran fiber optics to the node (FTTN) - then ran copper wires to the home in my neighborhood. (I spoke to the installation engineer.) Evidently, here is AT&T's policy when it comes to fiber optic installations:

- Neighborhood with more than 50 homes ---> Fiber Optic to the Premises (FTTP)
- Neighborhood with less than 50 homes ---> Fiber Optic to the Node (FTTN) only

All U-verse installs to existing residences use twisted pair copper. Just like Bell Telephone used dating back to 1900.

Only new construction gets fiber to the residence, but even then the service is exactly the same as with twisted pair.

Quote:

Unbelievable, right? I thought I would pass this along to anyone who is possibly looking at using AT&T for their cable/internet.

Years old news.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 03-25-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleDude View Post

Additionally, I found that the cost of the service was going to be pretty expensive versus other providers. - Almost 40-50% higher after the 6 Month "SPECIAL" expired.

With just the TV part alone, their regular price would be at least $40.00 more than I pay to Dish Network for what I would need.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
u-Verse does have some good features. The motorola whole-home DVR units with MS Mediaroom interface work great. They also have great promotions to sign up new customers ($350 when I signed up) and are willing to negotiate on price, but you have to haggle with them to keep their price competitive once the promotions expire.

Unfortunately, the big negative with u-Verse is their over-compression of the HD feeds. Everything looks soft and motion-intensive programming (sports) is especially terrible. I didn't buy a nice big HDTV to watch fuzzy basketball games. I just switched from u-Verse back to my local cable company (Surewest in KC) and the difference is night and day. Even my wife noticed the difference right away, and that's saying something.

Also, I got tired of haggling on price. With Surewest, I've now locked in a 3-way bundle for just $125/month total for a solid year which includes all HD channels, HBO, 2 HD-DVRs, 8 mbps internet, and unlimited local/long distance telephone with caller ID. u-Verse can't even come close to that.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Just what do they consider a "neighborhood"?? Some typical suburban sub-division?
Quote:
All U-verse installs to existing residences use twisted pair copper. Just like Bell Telephone used dating back to 1900.
Only new construction gets fiber to the residence, but even then the service is exactly the same as with twisted pair.

What does "new construction" have to do with anything?
Quote:
the big negative with u-Verse is their over-compression of the HD feeds. Everything looks soft and motion-intensive programming (sports) is especially terrible.

Gee, I wonder why? maybe they are trying to make DirectTV SD look good.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

What does "new construction" have to do with anything?

Thats an easy question... sunk costs. AT&T already has copper run to existing homes. It would cost a heck of a lot of money they don't have any motivation to spend to run fiber to all those homes when they can deliver the same service over copper.
Fiber to a new home is easier since they already have to have crews out there to build the infrastructure. Its the same as prewiring your house during construction versus retrofitting in cables after the drywall is up.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 163
On a separate note, why did Verizon bother running fiber in Buffalo when they have no plans to include TV service due to their suburban mentality? They only selected certain areas of the city to run fiber. Since all of the city will not be wired, they won't get the franchise. This is just for phone and Internet. This can not pay off!

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Using the POTS lines for TV seems like mission impossible to me. What does it look like when 3 TVs are watching different HD channels at the same time? Then what happens when the phone rings, or one of the kids downloads an album?
As it is, OTA channels that are over-multiplexed look like dog snot, but they're still better than satellite, which in turn is better than cable. UVerse must be the bottom of the PQ barrel.