Anyone had any information/experience with Encompass Parts Distribution? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-09-2011, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, my Dell 4201c 42" Plamsa (rebranded Samsung) just died...After doing some research online, and then actually calling a local tv repair man all 3 of the Y-sus, Y upper buffer and Y lower buffer boards are bad and need to be replaced...The TV repair guy was going to order parts from Encompass Parts Distribution...He told me they are "new" parts straight from the manufacturers...The prices he gave me are less for all 3 boards then they were listed for on the Encompass' site...I'm assuming cause hes getting a contractor price?

Anyway, I was looking to order the boards myself before I call him, but could only find refurbished parts on ebay or "new" parts from china, neither of which I have much faith in...So are Encompass parts really new? The TV guy wants $400 for the parts and labor (about $100)...I'm probably getting a new TV also, but then I figure it's pretty cheap to fix this 42" plasma to have 2 TVs if the parts are good quality and going to last..

I did a search for Encompass Parts on here and it seemed like enough people had ordered from them, but I just cant believe that for a 5-7 year old TV when NOONE is selling new parts, some how Encompass is...Any help would be much appreciated..

These were the parts (Encompass Price vs TV Repairman Price):
(can't post Encompass urls untill I get 3 posts)
996500032639 ($174 vs $89)
996500032640 ($233 vs $99)
BN96-02033A ($140 vs $105)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-09-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Encompass, (a merger between Vance-Baldwin and Tritronics) is a Manufacturer's Authorized Parts Distributor, not just someone selling parts. Some others are Fox International, Joseph Electronics, Fulton, (there are more but these jump to mind). These are the people that Warranty Servicers have to order parts from if they can't or don't want to order direct from the Factory. Some companies allow their Servicers to order direct but many protect the old parts network, (Factory -> Distributor -> Servicer) so they don't have to deal with all of the requirements from 50 different States.

These are as close to "New" as you are going to get. (The Factory often remanufactures boards themselves)

I checked one of the prices, (I do have an account with them) and two things pop out. One, your price included a $100 core charge which he can get credited and you can't. Two, he quoted you basically the net price without shipping/handling, core, or any profit markup. That was either a mistake, or they had some sitting around they desperately wanted to get rid of at cost, or they had some used ones on hand from salvaged TVs that they would use, knowing they might have get a new one later if they failed. The part is currently out of stock (a non-stocked item) and is a non-returnable special order.

It might not even be available, but they won't know until they actually order it from the Factory. They no longer update the status of non-stocked items on a regular basis like Tritronics did. Tritronics had the best searchable database in the business but it got lost in the merger.

There is also a chance that only one or two of the boards are bad as well as a possibility that the power supply board is bad too, but that won't show up until the others are replaced. Because of the high current draw and the likelihood of chain reaction failures, the Factories often suggest changing all three of those boards because missing a bad one would take out the other replaced boards instantly.

Since brand new 50" Plasma TVs start at about $500, I would suggest doing research on a replacement TV before authorizing a major repair on an older machine with a very limited future lifespan.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #3 of 7 Old 04-09-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the very informative post!

He did tell me when he was giving me the estimate that he was in fact giving me the parts at the price he got them for with no profit markup, which he wasn't normally supposed to do...He had all 3 parts listed out on a page printed off the Encompass site so I do believe he intends to order them "new" from there. He also added $15 S/H to the quote, so that could be a semi-realistic number...Finally, I do see a contradiction with him you pointed out because I asked about a core refund. He said they used to want the core returned, but didn't any longer and I could keep them, so I know he wasn't reusing them elsewhere...

He checked all of the boards in the TV, at first he said the upper buffer was good and the lower buffer was bad. Then when checking the upper buffer in combination with the y-sus, he said all 3 boards were bad and need to be replaced...He said [all] the other boards, (power, s-sus, etc., those are the only two I remember right now), were fine.

Ah, just more to think about...As I said I'm looking into a new TV anyway, but it'd be nice to get this second one replaced as a backup if possible...Thanks again.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-09-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

It is possible that they don't want the core or he could have misread the page.
The $233 price on the second one is the one I looked up and it was listed as $89 Net, 133 List, plus $100 core. The last number would seem to be one without a core charge. Maybe he looked at that one when he suggested they did not want the cores back.

Even at cost, repairing a Plasma is a killer expense, as you can see.

post #5 of 7 Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 132
zaphod7501; When did this merger happen? Wasn't Tritronics connected with someone else?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-13-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

zaphod7501; When did this merger happen? Wasn't Tritronics connected with someone else?

I think it was early Spring of 2009 (looking at old invoices)
I don't remember if they had a prior affiliation. They were Tritronics as long as I dealt with them.

They merged with Vance-Baldwin in 2009, but then renamed the company to Encompass in May 2010.

post #7 of 7 Old 04-14-2011, 04:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I looked over my bookmarks and I did find the link to Tritronics. It was/is labeled Encompass. I haven't ordered from them in some time. I did business with them starting back in the 80's.

Good supplier.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page