Pole Height and Support - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a gable eaves mounted 10-foot antenna pole that I'd like to extend.

The pole is a chain link fence "Top Rail" with an AntennasDirect 91XG and a CM-7777 pre-amp at the top.

Currently, I have no guy wires supporting the pole, and it seems to do fine with minor shakes in hard wind.

I'd like to get my antenna a little further in the air to see if that cuts down on some signal loss that we are getting for some of the farther-away channels.

Am I at the limits of my antenna mast height now? Will I need guy wires if I go higher?

Guy wires seem to really add a big complexity factor when getting that antenna up and down and with fixing mounting locations on the roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-11-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
This really belongs in the "Official Antenna Topic" sticky in the HDTV Technical forum.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-11-2011, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
So, should I subscribe to that topic, watch and wait?

Or, would I receive my answer here as well?

Just curious. I'd rather not get all the daily messages that come from the heavily visited thread while waiting for someone to answer.

EDIT: By the way, I did swing by that thread first and read a couple of pages, but the topic was to post experience with types of antennas and types of amps used. Then I saw there were 400 pages to it, and realized there's no way I could sift through all of that in only 2 weeks.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-11-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Read or bleed.
There are no bulletproof answers. Depending on your particular situation, there could be many solutions. Or... no solution.

I'm sure many can provide assistance on AVS. I'd suggest you consolodate all of your threads into one. Include your TVFool data and the specifics and/or restrictions for your situation.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you want to go higher, the mast should go all the way to the ground and then be attached at the eave. If you can do that, then you would be able to rotate the mast from the ground. Otherwise, there is too much strain on the eave mount to survive the additional wind load. Guys wouldn't be enough for your extended eave mount.

Quote:

I'm sure many can provide assistance on AVS. I'd suggest you consolodate all of your threads into one. Include your TVFool data and the specifics and/or restrictions for your situation.

Good idea. It's hard to keep track of your situation when the facts are spread out over so many different threads. It's also hard to give you on-target advice when you withhold information about your situation.

What channels do you presently get, and what channels do you want? Maybe you are expecting too much.
Quote:

So, should I subscribe to that topic, watch and wait?

Or, would I receive my answer here as well?

Just curious. I'd rather not get all the daily messages that come from the heavily visited thread while waiting for someone to answer.

It's not in your best self-interest to be hostile to the people who are trying very hard to help you.

You are under no obligation to follow our advice, but it tends to stop the flow of helpful ideas if you rip our suggestions to shreds.

Or, as my father used to say: "If you want someone to help you, it's not a good idea to give him a hard time."

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-11-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
If the mast extends more than 10' above the mount, it needs to be guyed.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page