Use current Direct TV wiring for OTA HD setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just bought a house that is wired for a Direct TV dish. I don't want to use that, rather, I want to use my OTA antenna for HD. Can I use the current satellite wiring for my terra antenna? The dish has about 3 cables coming off of it, which one would be the normal coaxial cable that I would use?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnhubbard View Post

We just bought a house that is wired for a Direct TV dish. I don't want to use that, rather, I want to use my OTA antenna for HD. Can I use the current satellite wiring for my terra antenna? The dish has about 3 cables coming off of it, which one would be the normal coaxial cable that I would use?

Thanks!

There were probably 3 DTV boxes in the house, with a cable leading from the dish to each box. If you just want one TV, you'll have to figure out which one leads to that room.
IF the cable lengths are not too long as to require a mast preamp, you could combine the 3 on the roof with a splitter and send the antenna signal to all 3 rooms.
One more thing, if the cable is RG59, it might not be good enough. It should be RG6 if it was installed by DTV in the last 10 years.

My RabbitEars reception page-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Perfect, this is exactly what I need to know. Thanks so much!
post #4 of 13 Old 09-23-2012, 11:02 AM

Hi,

I have similar questions.. I saw your answers. But I have few questions from this topic -

1. They said - antenna signal will be weaker after it got splitted - I have DirecTV for four of my rooms. I am going to cancel it this month.... so I am worried that after installing the OTA outside antenna, signals going to each TV will be weak.

2. If I put an signal amplifier, it will have to be outside and no power. The way DirecTV is using, they have power on one of their receiver cable. Does it work the same with antenna ? or it has to be from antenna to before the splitter ?

Please advise!

Regards,
Edgar
post #5 of 13 Old 09-23-2012, 11:50 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarVo View Post

Hi,
I have similar questions.. I saw your answers. But I have few questions from this topic -
1. They said - antenna signal will be weaker after it got splitted - I have DirecTV for four of my rooms. I am going to cancel it this month.... so I am worried that after installing the OTA outside antenna, signals going to each TV will be weak.
2. If I put an signal amplifier, it will have to be outside and no power. The way DirecTV is using, they have power on one of their receiver cable. Does it work the same with antenna ? or it has to be from antenna to before the splitter ?
Please advise!
Regards,
Edgar

I don't see how an amp works without power. An outdoor pre-amp will need to be powered. But first we need to know what kind of signal you're already getting

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
post #6 of 13 Old 09-23-2012, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If you do need an amp, standard CATV drop amps can be powered via the OUT port, enabling you to locate the amp outside and power it from one of your outlets.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-23-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
You can order a 4 port dist amp from PCT/Channel Master or Motorola, and set it up preamp style with a remote power supply plugged in at one of the TVs. The dist amp will be at the antenna, with one direct coax input and 4 coax outputs going to the different TVs. This configuration works very well in the attic, but if outside you may need to find some sort of protective box to put the amp inside. But be sure and order the separate remote power supply if you use this type of configuration. But if you have power in the attic at the antenna, you can just plug in the dist amp as an amplified splitter.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-28-2012, 03:57 AM

I also have similar question, My DirecTV was installed withing the last three years, I have an older receiver but just bought an HDTV and would like to get an HD signal but Direct TV wants to put me on a contract, hell with that, Can I purchase the receiver and dish, install it myself and get HD? in other words, is the signal coming from the SAT the same in basic as it is with HD?
post #9 of 13 Old 12-28-2012, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 270
No.
You'd have to dig around on eBay for an "owned" receiver.. one that was not leased. DirecTV doesn't sell receivers, anymore. Could run you a hundo or more and it probably won't be the latest technology. There will be a charge for a new access card ($20) and you still get hit with the monthly mirroring fee. You also have to add the HD fee to your account. The tricky part is installing the dish. Not nearly as easy as the old pizza-box dishes as you have to hit multiple satellites. Easier to find an installer who'll work off the books and do it for you for $100 (plus tip). So, that's already $250 at a minimum. And I can't say for sure they won't insist on a new contract with the move to HD. Probably not, but one cannot be sure. This is pretty much the way I've done things and have never been under a contract. I have 3 receivers which means 2 mirroring fees. 4th should arrive today or early next week.

By the way, I edited your post to fit conventions we use here:
DTV = digital television, usually in an over-the-air context
D* = DirecTV
E* = Dish

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-21-2013, 06:53 PM

Hi,
I have a similar problem... had Dish TV and got rid of it recently and trying to install a Clearstream 2V OTA HD antenna and thought i could just reuse the cables that are already running into my living room from the installed dish. But, i spent almost 2 days on this with no luck and i am sure i am doing something wrong obviously but don't know what. So, i would greatly appreciate if you someone can point me in the right direction here. I am a complete novice in running cables and such, so please bear with me frown.gif

This is what i have done till now.

1. Removed the LNB from the Dish. The Dish LNB had three different coaxial cables running into it. (Sat 1, Sat2, something else)
  2. tried each of the three cables that were going into the LNB to the TO TV hole
  3. In my livingroom, the cable that is coming from outside(dish), is a single wire. It is not long enough for me to run it directly to the TV antenna, hence i went and bought a co-axial cable connector and got another 10 ft cable and extended the wire and connected to the TV

I did the above steps and i do not get any channels whatsoever.. i scanned TV, DTV, Cable DTV, Cable TV options on my LG LED tv but nothing!.

But when i remove that connector which is extending the coaxial cable that is running into my living room and just leave the new 10ft wire connected into the back of my TV (the other end just sitting on the TV stand), it is picking up around 17 channels and the HD channels are very crisp.. So, i have no idea why the cable that is coming from the Dish is not working. Just to let you know, these 3 coaxial cables that are connected to my dish are running from multiple splitters and i am not sure what all is happening there but those 3 cables converge into 1 cable that is coming into my living room.

I would really appreciate if someone can please help me out with this.

thanks
Chris
post #11 of 13 Old 09-22-2013, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Most commonly, this means you didn't remove or bypass the satellite multi-switch that's still inline and is blocking the signals.

Trace each the cables from the dish location to their termination. Remove anything that looks similar to a splitter of any kind. Reuse ONLY the coaxial cables.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-22-2013, 07:15 AM

Thanks ProjectSH089
So i would replace anything that looks like a splitter with a co-axial cable extender? My dish is almost 75 ft from where my TV is and there are at least 3 or 4 of those splitter like things between the LNB of the dish and the end of the coaxial cable.. I will do that and will let you know how that goes.

Thanks for your prompt response.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-22-2013, 07:39 PM

ProjectSH089,
Thank you so much for your help. I now have 52 channels using my OTA antenna with almost 20 of them in crisp HD. I have not seen a picture as clear as this even when i was with DISH. This is just awesome! I saw my Bucs loose really badly to the Pats but it was still beautiful to watch them play such a pathetic football.

If anyone is looking for a OTA HD antenna, i would highly recommend the Clearstream 2V, Its a lil expensive ($70) but still worth it. Once i removed the Dish multi-switch and couple of splitters and replaced them with plain old co-axial cable extenders, it did the trick! Thanks once again for your support and help.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page