Supersonic SC-609 from Amazon.com -- anyone tried this? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-20-2011, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1V31ERF1KA4G8

This item is only $25 on Amazon -- I need a cheap over the air antenna that can pick up UHF and VHF signals in my local markets (up to about 45 miles away).

Any opinions or experience with this model/brand?

I have a very limited budget and am currently using an amplified indoor rabbit ears, which picks up all the UHF channels in my area, but can only get VHF within 15 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-20-2011, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Any outdoor antenna will be better than any indoor antenna, especially anything with a built in amp. I bet that amp isn't helping.

Do you actually have VHF stations left in your market? (I would help if you had that listed under your username) Are you aware of the difference between virtual and physical channel numbers courtesy of the FCC?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-20-2011, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Any outdoor antenna will be better than any indoor antenna, especially anything with a built in amp. I bet that amp isn't helping.

Do you actually have VHF stations left in your market? (I would help if you had that listed under your username) Are you aware of the difference between virtual and physical channel numbers courtesy of the FCC?

Sorry, that I left those details out. I am in the Greenville/New Bern NC market. I am aware of the virtual & physical channel numbers. I can pick up all digital stations that are using virtual UHF numbers (14& up). I can only pick up WNCT channel 9 (virtual 10) on VHF, but not WCTI channel 12 (which uses virtual 12 also) which is about 40 miles from me (so I receive zero ABC programs).

Here are the channels with their traditional physical numbers:

WITN-DT 7.1 NBC HD 1080i
WITN-DT 7.2 My Network TV & ME TV

WNCT-DT 9.1 CBS HD 1080i
WNCT-DT 9.2 THE CW

WCTI-DT 12.1 ABC HD 720p HD NEWS as of 6/27/10
WCTI-DT 12.3 THIS

WYDO-DT 14.1 FOX HD 720p HD NEWS as of 6/27/10

WUNM-DT 19.1 UNC EX
WUNM-DT 19.2 UNC TV HD 1080i
WUNM-DT 19.3 UNC KD

WUNK-DT 25.1 UNC TV HD 1080i
WUNK-DT 25.2 UNC KD
WUNK-DT 25.3 UNC EX

WEPX-DT 38.1 ION HD
WEPX-DT 38.2 QUBO
WEPX-DT 38.3 ION LIFE

I am also on the fringe of the Raleigh/Durham market but I don't really have the budget to put up a large antenna for receiving those (I am in a urban neighborhood with lots of trees obstructing the skyline). Incidentally, I used my current rabbit ears indoors 3 years ago when I lived one mile outside the city with no obstructions and I continuously had strong signals on all the in-market stations and all of the Raleigh area stations except for channel 11 (which I would receive sporadically). So I think it is my physical surroundings and not my antenna that is the main hindrance (but I am no "techie").

The reason I am gun shy about ordering another "flop" antenna is because last year I ordered a Channelmaster 4228 HD
http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master...3314845&sr=8-1

I mounted it on my roofline, hooked it up, and promptly reduced my reception down to only WITN channel 7. The 4228 was a $90 piece of crap. No matter where I positioned it, I could not receive reception that came close to what my rabbit ears receive. I boxed it up and returned it.

I have wanted to improve my antenna for sometime, but $90 was at the UPPER end of my possible budget and it seems that most of these cheaper antennas are a "get what you pay for" item. I am searching for that "lost gem" -- a $30-$40 solution that installs easily and picks up at least those stations in my market (with a bonus if I get the Raleigh stations even on occasion).
post #4 of 12 Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Raleigh View Post

This item is only $25 on Amazon -- I need a cheap over the air antenna that can pick up UHF and VHF signals in my local markets (up to about 45 miles away).

I doubt that antenna would make you happy.

To see what you're up against I ran a TVfool report for Kinston, NC.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d17f0229c5ad3

If I lived in Kinston I'd buy a big UHF only aimed at Raleigh and a small VHF only aimed at WCTI and couple them with a UVSJ. That scheme avoids the cost of a rotor and the operational hassles of waiting to change channels.

An exact TVfool report for your location could allow for a better suggestion.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I can only pick up WNCT channel 9 (virtual 10) on VHF, but not WCTI channel 12 (which uses virtual 12 also)

Sounds as you might be getting this reversed.
Was your WITN old analog channel 7? If so, that probably is not the current physical channel number.
Virtual channel numbers are usually the former analog number which usually doesn't mean it is the current actual physical channel they are transmitting on now which is usually a UHF channel depending on the market.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Sounds as you might be getting this reversed.
Was your WITN old analog channel 7? If so, that probably is not the current physical channel number.
Virtual channel numbers are usually the former analog number which usually doesn't mean it is the current actual physical channel they are transmitting on now which is usually a UHF channel depending on the market.

Sorry, I stand corrected. I did have it backwards. It is the real, physical channels above 14 that I have no trouble receiving.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-20-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Sorry, I stand corrected. I did have it backwards. It is the real, physical channels above 14 that I have no trouble receiving.

So the eight bow-tie UHF antenna you purchased a year ago has no trouble receiving UHF channels?

Perhaps you should add a dedicated VHF antenna from Antennacraft or Winegard and use a UHF-VHF Separator Joiner (UVSJ) from Hollands or Pico-Macom to add the VHF antenna to your Channelmaster 4228. You should get far better results than you would if you used an indoor UHF-VHF antenna with a crappy amplifier.

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #8 of 12 Old 04-20-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboG View Post

So the eight bow-tie UHF antenna you purchased a year ago has no trouble receiving UHF channels?

Perhaps you should add a dedicated VHF antenna from Antennacraft or Winegard and use a UHF-VHF Separator Joiner (UVSJ) from Hollands or Pico-Macom to add the VHF antenna to your Channelmaster 4228. You should get far better results than you would if you used an indoor UHF-VHF antenna with a crappy amplifier.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, I sent the 4228 back to Amazon because it was so useless (didn't even get as many channels as my rabbit ears).
post #9 of 12 Old 04-20-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:

I sent the 4228 back to Amazon because it was so useless (didn't even get as many channels as my rabbit ears).

When this happens, it's usually because of an electrical fault in the cabling between the antenna and tuner. Look for:

• A bad coax connector (aka balun box) on the antenna itself. They can be defective right out of the box.

• Physical damage or a short circuit in the coax downlead and/or its connectors. Coax is not as rugged as Romex. It's easily destroyed by pulling or crushing. All it takes to short an entire coax run is one tiny strand of the shield poking out of a connector and touching the center conductor.

• A component like a dead amplifier or bad splitter in the way.

• One or more open, unterminated splitter outputs. Unused ports sap signal strength that would otherwise go to the tuner.

• The antenna and the tuner were never connected in the first place. Tracing previously installed cable runs is difficult to do correctly; mis-tracing is a pretty common error.

There's simply no other explanation for rabbit ears indoors outperforming a CM 4228 outdoors.

That cheap Chinese-made antenna is a waste of money. It's a safe bet that it won't work as well as the your rabbit ears do now.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-21-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There's simply no other explanation for rabbit ears indoors outperforming a CM 4228 outdoors.

Agreed.

post #11 of 12 Old 04-21-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The original American made CM 4228 antenna was one of the best UHF antennas available. The newer Chinese made version is lacking in build quality and may suffer some poor quality control issues, but is still based upon the same basic design with some modifications. But a better HiVHF/UHF combo antenna than the Supersonic mentioned may be an Antennacraft HBU33/44 or Winegard 7696 with a preamp and rotor. An initial higher investment may bring better overall long term results.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-21-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_M View Post

Or the 4228 was not aimed. The stations are all over the compass and there is no one direction that works in that location.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page