Hickory, NC: Dennys HD Stacker or Channel Master 3671 which antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 04-26-2011, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am going to get one of these antennas and would like to know if anyone here has used either antenna and if so which one would you folks recommend? I will have the antenna mounted 40 feet off the ground and with a preamp. Thanks for any help and have a nice day..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Insufficient information to form any opinion.

Antenna recommendations are based on YOUR location and the combination of what's available signal-wise vs, what may be possible within your budget and capabilities.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #3 of 27 Old 04-26-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

im in hickory, north carolina and budget isnt a problem. im just looking to see which antenna has better reception overall. thanks
post #4 of 27 Old 04-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Please use your location in the title of antenna help threads. Since so much of this is geographical, it also helps to have your location in your profile. See mine at left. Thread edited.

Thanks

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-26-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The CM3671 is unnecessarily large and designed for LowVHF channels that no longer broadcast in this area. Bad choice. The HD Stacker, made by Winegard, would be the better choice with a rotor. Possible HiVHF channels include WSPA-7 from Spartanburg, WLOS-13 from Asheville, and WTVI-42 from Charlotte on RF11. But a better choice would be a Winegard YA 17-13 and a rotor for HiVHF, and a Channel Master 4221HD for UHF pointed toward Charlotte. Combine both separate coax inputs into a CM7777 preamp with one output inside to TV. For the major Clt UHFs, hopefully the less directional 4221 will help you find a fixed sweet spot without the need for a rotor. Other combo antennas with rotor include Winegard 7696, or Antennacraft HBU33 or 55. But the HD Stacker with rotor may get better results, especially if you want Asheville-Greenville-Spartanburg or possibly even Greensboro. And a CM4228HD might do even better for the UHFs; just depends on how strong your signals are. But if I decided to go with a combo antenna, the HD Stacker with rotor would be my choice.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

A 1713/9032 combo has higher gain than the Stacker, and I think they cost less. It would take up a lot more space, though.
post #7 of 27 Old 04-26-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithOTA View Post

A 1713/9032 combo has higher gain than the Stacker, and I think they cost less. It would take up a lot more space, though.

That would be a step up from the Stacker and would be a good combination. However, the major Charlotte UHF signals broadcast from 2 different locations, and the 9032 is very directional. Which is why I said the 4221 might have a broader reception range and easier to find a sweet spot without a rotor. But the signals could be strong enough such that the 9032 will work. A rotor would be needed if interested in stations from neighboring markets such as Asheville/Greenville/Spartanburg and Greensboro.
post #8 of 27 Old 04-27-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Not true. Because of proper tuning for today's digital frequencies the Stacker has more UHF gain than the HD 9032 and about the same VHF gain as the YA 1713.
post #9 of 27 Old 04-27-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Denny,

Where are the gain vs frequency charts, polar plots, or VSWR/return loss data for your antennas?

I see a lot of hype and fluff, but I don't see any data that is measured using anything other than a consumer converter box.
post #10 of 27 Old 04-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

I certainly didn't mean to start a rhubbarb.
I based my statement on my perception that Winegard has a set of parts & components that are common to virtually all of their yagis. I can see the common tooling in everything from the EZHD to the 8200.
So I assumed that with the same components, arranged by the same engineers and manufactured in the same plant, boom lengths and gain should go hand in hand.
If I saw a Winegard spec sheet that showed the Stacker beating the 1713/9032, I'd probably buy one.
post #11 of 27 Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

In my opinion, Channel Master made the best UHF yagi style antennas with their 4248 and 4252 models which unfortunately are no longer made. I have tried a 9032, 43XG and 91XG and had best results with the 4248 and I believe it could be because of the solid filled diamond shape elements which have a wider capture area than the hollow x shaped elements of the 91XG. I am still trying to obtain a 4252 which is most comparable to the 91XG. When Channel Master moved manufacturing to China, they stopped producing these antennas.
post #12 of 27 Old 04-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny D. View Post

Because of proper tuning for today's digital frequencies the Stacker has more UHF gain than the HD 9032 and about the same VHF gain as the YA 1713.

Denny, does this mean that the UHF Yagi's directors are spaced to max out at RF 51?
post #13 of 27 Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:

Denny, does this mean that the UHF Yagi's directors are spaced to max out at RF 51?

Yes, but I hesitate to mention that because most consumer's think there are still full powered channel frequencies above 51. The HD Stacker and the EZ HD antennas are both precisely tuned to match the frequencies in use. As a matter of fact we were able to improve the UHF dB gain of the EZ HD by 2.2 dB when we properly tuned it when the analogs were turned off. The Stacker came out after the shutdown so it was never designed to receive above 51.

I don't know how everyone else feels but I wish for the consumer's sake the broadcaster's who were assigned a different digital broadcast channel frequency would begin using the actual broadcast channel when referring to there channel number rather than the old analog channel number. I understand about product recognition but is the confusion this is causing to the average consumer worth keeping the old channel recognition? I hear it every day from customer's " but I have a channel 2" It's difficult to explain that they don't have a channel 2 when the station refers to themselves as channel 2.
post #14 of 27 Old 04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

That's good information, I thought that the only antennas designed up to 51 were the ClearStreams and the very pricey Digitenna. Is your Up-7 also cut for 51?
I would guess that your agreement with Winegard prevents you from publishing the specs, which is understandable given how business works these days.
post #15 of 27 Old 04-30-2011, 06:00 AM

No the UP 7 is not propely tuned.

No agreement with Winegard about publishing the specs. of our antennas. We try to keep it as simple as we possible can for the consumer. The average consumer doesn't care about dB gain. What consumer's do care about is the antenna and equipment they purchase works so they're not wasting their time and money They also want the information and support readily available to them that is needed to get the job done right. Most of our customer's are fresh off of cable or satellite TV and have never had an antenna before. We're in the business to help people get good TV reception. If we truly concentrate on the consumer's needs everything else takes care of itself. Most of the time a customer doesn't care what brand antenna is on their roof or in their attic they care about what's on their TV. If the reception is good and it's reliable that's what most people care about.
post #16 of 27 Old 04-30-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

We try to keep it as simple as we possible can for the consumer. The average consumer doesn't care about dB gain.

It would still be nice to see some numbers to use as a reference for comparison.

That's almost like saying the average consumer doesn't care about horsepower & MPG specs when comparing cars. The prettiest cars certainly don't look as good as they used to. Have you bought gas lately?
post #17 of 27 Old 04-30-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

That's almost like saying the average consumer doesn't care about horsepower & MPG specs when comparing cars. The prettiest cars certainly don't look as good as they used to. Have you bought gas lately?

I may be misinformed, but I thoght most people were buying SUVs not cars. Explorers, Excursions, and even Expeditions. Not to mention Armadas. And those millions of people didn't give a darn about MPG. [Never went down the SUV road myself.]
post #18 of 27 Old 04-30-2011, 09:45 AM

All I was attempting to convey in my message is most consumer's want positive results not a bunch of numbers.

If there were a standardized testing facility to measure the performance of an antenna and every antenna on the market had to be tested I would be the first in line to have my antennas tested. It doesn't do any good to publish numbers when no one has to be accountable to these numbers. If I say 15 dB someone else will claim 16 dB and so on.

We receive well over 100 emails everyday inquiring about our antennas and rarely if ever does anyone ask about dB gain.

I read about an antenna on line that claims it will provide 35 dB gain. Just about ever member in this forum knows that isn't true. I may not post the gain of my antennas but I refuse to make false claims about dB gain just to make my antennas look better than the next one.
post #19 of 27 Old 05-01-2011, 09:02 AM

Aha! So Denny's brand has 15dB gain!
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Tosay's marketing environment is bad, but at least it's gotten more fact-based over the last 100 years.
Actually, I find the EZTenna website pretty compelling when looking over his comparisons and test set-ups. If a design on a J-pole were called for by a buddy I was advising, I think I'd steer him toward the EZTenna over the similar RCA model.
post #20 of 27 Old 05-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

I've used GIS software to analyze photos of the Stacker, and while it is not an exact method, it appears that the UHF directors have a wider spacing than the ones on my 9022. Since the 9022 is designed to go to 69, the directors would need to be closer together. If the Stacker is indeed designed to 51, the directors would have to be a little farther apart (about 1/2 inch), and that's exactly what my admittedly rough technique is saying.
So considering Denny's liberal return policy, I'm thinking that I might try one.
post #21 of 27 Old 05-03-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:

I may not post the gain of my antennas but I refuse to make false claims about dB gain just to make my antennas look better than the next one.

Just out of curiosity, who's asking you to make false claims ?
post #22 of 27 Old 05-03-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM View Post

Just out of curiosity, who's asking you to make false claims ?

No one is asking him; he's saying that's what other companies do.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #23 of 27 Old 05-04-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

No one is asking him; he's saying that's what other companies do.

Some other companies do.

Thanks,
Denny
post #24 of 27 Old 05-04-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Denny,

Some other companies make true or factual claims about their antenna that can be backed up with either field testing or modeling. You make NO specific claims to performance yet expect the technically inclined enthusiasts, hobbyists, and (some) experts here us to believe marketing department-type claims and testimonials from first-time forum posters? C'mon, you're playing that game in the wrong field in these forums! You're sending these shills to the slaughterhouse.

Numbers that can be backed up speak move than anything else when you're dealing with the technical crowd. This is a technical crowd, many of whom have seen a great deal of this type of marketing before and know that's it's questionable.

Numbers, please.
post #25 of 27 Old 05-05-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

C'mon, you're playing that game in the wrong field in these forums! You're sending these shills to the slaughterhouse.

I never have or never will have anyone falsify testimonials or claims about my antennas or services. Any testimonials or claims made by anyone in the forums or on my website are truly their own statements. The testimonials on my website are all unsolicited emails I have received from actual customer's who receive nothing in return for their statements.

Denny Duplessis
Denny's Antenna Service
post #26 of 27 Old 05-09-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:

I never have or never will have anyone falsify testimonials or claims about my antennas or services. Any testimonials or claims made by anyone in the forums or on my website are truly their own statements. The testimonials on my website are all unsolicited emails I have received from actual customer's who receive nothing in return for their statements.

Denny Duplessis
Denny's Antenna Service

denny no disrespect towards your or your antennas. I'm no expert but just by looking at your gear Is fairly certain that each antenna on the stacker combo is not near or close gain wise to any of the top line antenna for given tv band. that said I think is overpriced imho.
post #27 of 27 Old 09-20-2013, 06:05 PM

Denny, I've installed several of your antennas, with very good results. Sometimes I'd like to ckeck if it's even possible to receive a channel, but you are really tight lipped about your stats!

Well, I cheated. I took your test results, and Winegard's 'published' gain, and applied some high school algebra. This is what I got for the Stacker.

ch 7, 10.9 dB; ch 9, 15.4; ch 32, 12.7 dB; ch 50, 11.9

Am I close? wink.gif

To everyone else, these are VERY CRUDE ESTIMATES! I guarantee nothing!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page