Need antenna advice for my Grandmother's house (Gary, IN) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-07-2011, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My Grandma is about to cut the cord on cable, due to her basic cable going to $90 a month. Since her old antenna was taken down nearly 20 years ago when her roof was reshingled (antenna was still good when it was taken down), she needs an antenna. Based on her TV Fool chart, all Chicago stations are rather strong. However, her house is 61 years old & the original occupant, with trees over 60 ft high (Oak trees to be exact). So there's a chance some stations might be troublesome to get. Since she's only interested in Chicago stations, as well as WYIN, which broadcasts south of her on RF 17, I just need some advice on what she should get. So no gigantic antenna needed for her. I need one that will focus more on the UHF, but still need Hi-VHF for WBBM-TV on RF 12. WHNW-LD RF 18 has gone digital, but she shows no desire for that channel, as it's not an all catholic program channel (if they even show catholic shows at all). Just stations in the 186° & 330° - 332° directions are all that matters. My old neighborhood had a similar problem back in the 90's with TV reception on the UHF (not as much on VHF), due to tall trees blocking some of the signal. I doubt a pre-amp will be necessary, but I never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-07-2011, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Well, the main Chicago signals appear to be strong, so a good HiVHF/UHF combo antenna should work, and perhaps a Winegard 269 preamp. You could try Antennacraft models HBU22 or HBU33, or Winegard models 7694 or 7696. The Winegard would probably withstand snow and ice season the best, as the build quality is a bit better.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dave, here's another one that I've had my eye on lately. I think it would be good for her situation, and it's really compact and light.
http://www.abilityhdtv.com/product-i...nna-pid64.html

My RabbitEars reception page-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-09-2011, 06:30 AM

Would it hurt to try an indoor antenna first? I would love to have a TV Fool report like that. I can get the first 5 with an indoor antenna, if I go upstairs. Thankfully though I can get IPTV (TV over phone lines). http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d175a77e449b8
post #5 of 6 Old 05-10-2011, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cire2282 View Post

Would it hurt to try an indoor antenna first? I would love to have a TV Fool report like that. I can get the first 5 with an indoor antenna, if I go upstairs. Thankfully though I can get IPTV (TV over phone lines). http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d175a77e449b8

Where my Grandmother lives, she had issues with UHF back in the analog days, and this was with an outdoor antenna. The trees in her neighborhood are a lot taller than they were prior to 1985 when she last had OTA TV. An indoor antenna would not work for most stations (especially WBBM-TV, since it's VHF). Even if rabbit ears worked, there's too much stuff indoors that would make reception go out of whack. My Aunt Dawn in Griffith Indiana has lots of problems using rabbit ears. For her, cars driving by can sometimes knock out reception, with semis knocking out reception for up to 10 minutes (especially for WBBM-TV & WLS-TV on RF 7). That's why I need a recommendation on an outdoor VHF-HI/UHF antenna. Rabbit ears will not cut it for this neighborhood. I don't want anyone recommending any 4 or 8 bay UHF antenna either, as those antenna don't guarantee that you'll get 7-13 from the antenna. Also, I own the Winegard HD-1080, and that antenna works fine for RF 7, but from my own experience, I lost RF 12 after using the antenna for 3 days. It works great for UHF though. I use that antenna just for WYIN. So that antenna is out. I forgot to mention that her house is only 1 story with no chance of adding an antenna in the attic, due to foil being used on the roof. Her roof was reshingled between 1992 & 1995, & that involved the roofers removing the original antenna (that was still good), & not putting it back on the roof.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post

I don't want anyone recommending any 4 or 8 bay UHF antenna either, as those antenna don't guarantee that you'll get 7-13 from the antenna.

Actually, for your location, that might be ideal, since with the rear reflector removed, they perform equally well from the front and from the back (but with a 3dB loss from removing the reflector), which will allow you to easily receive WYIN. A 4-bay is pretty small, and combine it (using a UVSJ) with a small VHF-High antenna for WBBM, such as the AntennaCraft Y5-7-13.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page