Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post

A review of the Mohu antenna has just been posted at:

www.hdtvexpert.com/?p=1619

Conclusion from the review: Basically, no distinct reception advantage of the mohu (or the walltenna) over the basic $12.99 RS budget antenna (15-1874).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 Old 01-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Conclusion from the review: Basically, no distinct reception advantage of the mohu (or the walltenna) over the basic $12.99 RS budget antenna (15-1874).

I haven't had the Mohu antenna for long, but it may indeed have an advantage over the RS budget. It doesn't have rabbit ears. I'm watching channel 10 at the moment with the Mohu. In the same small room, rabbit ears horizontal at the proper length will not work. Perhaps the Mohu is less prone to noise.

The Mohu is better than a Silver Sensor for vhf without a doubt is my conclusion for now.
post #33 of 67 Old 01-06-2012, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

ymmv
post #34 of 67 Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy View Post

I haven't had the Mohu antenna for long, but it may indeed have an advantage over the RS budget. It doesn't have rabbit ears. I'm watching channel 10 at the moment with the Mohu. In the same small room, rabbit ears horizontal at the proper length will not work. Perhaps the Mohu is less prone to noise.

The Mohu is better than a Silver Sensor for vhf without a doubt is my conclusion for now.

I've tested a lot of indoor antennas at my condominium and at my elderly parents' home (both of us live in suburban settings, but my parents are closer to the Seattle transmitters). The Silver Sensor generally was the most dependable antenna we have used so far - better performing in my user experience than the Radio Shack Budget Antenna 15-1874 - but even with the SS there has been some vulnerability to signal loss caused by aviation-related interference.

I'll be very interested to see if the Mohu Leaf performs a bit better overall than the SS. As always with antennas, YMMV.
post #35 of 67 Old 01-06-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Interestingly one of the reviewers on amazon mounted the Mohu with the coax at the top and was unimpressed with the performance and had decided to send it back. Then he noticed the directions specifically said to mount it with the coax down so he gave it a second try and was "floored" with the results.

In the HDTVexpert reviews pictures, you can see that he mounted both the Mohu and the Walltenna with the coax and balun postioned up. I'm not sure why or if it would make a difference, but it would have been nice if he would have given the manufacturer's instructions the benefit of the doubt and mounted them as they specified (if they do in fact specify this).

~kyle
post #36 of 67 Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemitchell View Post

I'm not sure why or if it would make a difference, but it would have been nice if he would have given the manufacturer's instructions the benefit of the doubt and mounted them as they specified (if they do in fact specify this).

While there is no mention of it on their website, I can confirm, having bought a Mohu a month or so ago, that the setup instructions that come in the package itself indeed specify to mount the coax facing downward. (I can also confirm that following their instructions can make a dramatic difference in reception.)
post #37 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I installed a Mohu Leaf at my parents' condominium, which is close to a major airport flight path, and the initial results are very favorable. They had a Silver Sensor antenna installed with generally good results, but had problems with signal break-up associated with aviation flights. Over the next few days, I expect to hear from them as to whether the Leaf is more effective than the Silver Sensor at maintaining signal in the face of aviation overflights.
post #38 of 67 Old 01-16-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

As for the Mohu Leaf's performance in a residence close to a major airport flight path, this is a good antenna but is not able to overcome the inherent limitations of the ATSC reception technology. When there are a series of planes coming in overhead, there can be a complete momentary loss of picture as has happened with other antennas such as the Silver Sensor. Other than aviation interference, the Mohu Leaf seems to generally perform a bit better than other indoor antennas we have experience with.
post #39 of 67 Old 02-25-2012, 07:40 AM

Mohu is on sale for $30 now with coupon & Free shipping.

see fat wallet dot com

What is inside?

Is it fractal?

Is it bidirectional? I am between Washington and Baltimore.

Can you gang them together for more signal?
post #40 of 67 Old 02-25-2012, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You guys are aware that they make this amplified model too, right? Powered by my TV's USB port and pulls in more channels than the 2-yr-old Philips amplified one that my friend lent me.
post #41 of 67 Old 02-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezebooger View Post

Mohu is on sale for $30 now with coupon & Free shipping.

see fat wallet dot com

What is inside?

Is it fractal?

Is it bidirectional? I am between Washington and Baltimore.

Can you gang them together for more signal?

You get the antenna with cable attached. It is bidirectional. I've tried it with good results on 3 different televisions. There were also a couple sticky foam circles in the box for mounting purposes.
post #42 of 67 Old 02-26-2012, 05:39 AM

It is the Mohu MH-ANT-1000 that is on sale at Amazon with free shipping and a $5 coupon from Fat Wallet.

It says Omnidirectional which seems impossible with a flat antenna.
post #43 of 67 Old 02-26-2012, 07:45 AM

Quick question...I live 24 Miles away from the TV Towers according to Antennaweb.org. The website says I need a Medium Directional (Red) antenna. Would this antenna work? And is there an issue if I use 4 of these in my house?
post #44 of 67 Old 02-26-2012, 12:38 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FHT123 View Post

Quick question...I live 24 Miles away from the TV Towers according to Antennaweb.org. The website says I need a Medium Directional (Red) antenna. Would this antenna work? And is there an issue if I use 4 of these in my house?

Go here and post the results

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
post #45 of 67 Old 02-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezebooger View Post

It is the Mohu MH-ANT-1000 that is on sale at Amazon with free shipping and a $5 coupon from Fat Wallet.

It says Omnidirectional which seems impossible with a flat antenna.

Yes, it says omni. However, you may find that aiming for particular channels helps reception. I have found it fairly forgiving aim-wise. That doesn't guarantee anything. I believe it is better than a Silver Sensor. The Leaf can be located almost anywhere. That's a big plus in my opinion.
post #46 of 67 Old 04-08-2012, 06:01 AM

May I use this Mohu for FM radio antenna?
post #47 of 67 Old 04-08-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS650 View Post

May I use this Mohu for FM radio antenna?

It will be a lousy FM antenna, but yes, you may try it for FM. It will be better than nothing.
post #48 of 67 Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 AM

can anyone recommend a good simple FM antenna? I couldn't find any info on AV forum here.
post #49 of 67 Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS650 View Post

can anyone recommend a good simple FM antenna? I couldn't find any info on AV forum here.

Off-topic here, but this one works very well:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103077

When you assemble it, leave off the UHF loop, as only the dipole rods are needed for FM frequencies. Extend each dipole rod about 28" .
post #50 of 67 Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

An updated review of the Mohu antenna and other flat antennas has been posted at:

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/?p=2053
post #51 of 67 Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

An updated review of the Mohu antenna and other flat antennas has been posted at:

Glad they mounted the Leaf with the coax at the bottom per the instructions this time around. I bought one a while back but haven't hooked it up yet. Maybe I will this week and see how it does.

~kyle
post #52 of 67 Old 04-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's an interesting read. 5 out of 6 indoor "uhf" antennas have no problem receiving rf 8. This is no surprise to me.
post #53 of 67 Old 04-13-2012, 02:29 AM

Quote:

That's an interesting read. 5 out of 6 indoor "uhf" antennas have no problem receiving rf 8. This is no surprise to me.

Depends on how close he was to channels 8 towers and how power channels 8 signal is. You can even get in low-VHF with a paper clip in the RF connector if the signal is strong enough.
post #54 of 67 Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If the signal is strong enough, most any piece of metal will pick up RF ch 8, or any other channel.
post #55 of 67 Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 AM

Liked: 13
post #56 of 67 Old 04-24-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm870 View Post

A blogger for CNET reviewed it a couple of weeks ago. Seems he was impressed.

Doesn't mean much. Most of those guys at CNET are dumb anyways. He doesn't post his testing location. It seems most of these guys live in SF and if that's the case then DUH you get good reception. Anyone near a big city and near the towers will get good reception. A paperclip can pull in station if you live in a good reception area. That doesn't mean a paperclip is a good antenna. What was his old antenna? Did he do side by side comparison? He said his amped antenna didn't get good reception. Well maybe he lives in a strong signal area and his amp was overloading the tuner? Did he take that into account? Did he mount the Mohu in the exact same location as he did his other antenna?
post #57 of 67 Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Doesn't mean much. Most of those guys at CNET are dumb anyways. He doesn't post his testing location. It seems most of these guys live in SF and if that's the case then DUH you get good reception. Anyone near a big city and near the towers will get good reception. A paperclip can pull in station if you live in a good reception area. That doesn't mean a paperclip is a good antenna. What was his old antenna? Did he do side by side comparison? He said his amped antenna didn't get good reception. Well maybe he lives in a strong signal area and his amp was overloading the tuner? Did he take that into account? Did he mount the Mohu in the exact same location as he did his other antenna?

The SF OTA thread had someone looking for indoor antenna advice. The antenna would be located in a room with a view of Sutro Tower, probably less than 5 miles away. He took a picture of the view out of the rooms' window. The picture guaranteed true line of sight to the tower. Unfortunately, the diagnosis of the problem was multipath hell. A paperclip, unless it's in a shielded Pringles can, is a complete waste of time. I can't be sure because I haven't tried it?
post #58 of 67 Old 04-24-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:

The SF OTA thread had someone looking for indoor antenna advice. The antenna would be located in a room with a view of Sutro Tower, probably less than 5 miles away. He took a picture of the view out of the rooms' window. The picture guaranteed true line of sight to the tower. Unfortunately, the diagnosis of the problem was multipath hell. A paperclip, unless it's in a shielded Pringles can, is a complete waste of time. I can't be sure because I haven't tried it?

Perhaps he should put the antenna in a place where it would get LESS signal thus in theory reduce multipath. Also you could shield the antenna using a curved reflector. That should reduce multipath also shouldn't it?
post #59 of 67 Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Perhaps he should put the antenna in a place where it would get LESS signal thus in theory reduce multipath. Also you could shield the antenna using a curved reflector. That should reduce multipath also shouldn't it?

Less can be more/better. I'm with you on that. Maybe the Pringles can would be too small for the Georgia Tech effect.
post #60 of 67 Old 04-25-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Mohu is developing a larger version with built in low noise preamp to use in attic installations, that will be similar in size to CM4228 antenna. Will be similar to the smaller Mohu antenna design, but on a larger scale. There is speculation that the Mohu uses some sort of bowtie design, but they claim it is their own advanced design concept. But using a low noise phemt amp connected directly to the antenna is a smart move that helps avoid signal loss. I have placed an order for the amped Leaf version, but the larger version is tentatively planned for end of summer.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page