Mohu Antenna - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 67 Old 04-26-2012, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I go the chance to take one of these apart this afternoon.

In case you were wondering, here's what's laminated inside the antenna:

The balun connection didn't survive the dis-assembly (it's just soldered to aluminum foil), but the balun is a surface mounted ferrite core, wound-wire balun. Nice and compact, but otherwise pretty conventional.

I'd equate this roughly to our basic Micron or C1 loop in terms of gain and reception pattern. Like our loop antennas, it would benefit from a reflector as previously suggested. It certainly isn't omnidirectional as I was able observe on the spectrum analyzer.

Have fun!

Tech support for Antennas Direct
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 04-27-2012, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Surprised that gets anything in with only 5 inch elements.
post #63 of 67 Old 04-28-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hmmm...

So now we know what all the hype has been about. It's been about the hype!

Thanks for showing the construction of the Leaf.
post #64 of 67 Old 01-19-2013, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live 40 miles northwest of Chicago, about 40 miles east of Rockford, IL. I bought Mohu Utimate ($89.95) and I do not think it was worth the money, When I first bought it , it was great. It brought in the signal from channel 2 which I had never received atall , ever, on H-D TV. As time went its perfomance diminished. I no longer receive channel 2 and many of the other channels are as uncertain and as sporadic as they were before I started using the Mohu Ultimate. The picture &/or sound freezes and then the screen goes blank, the picture will pixilate and then go blank. The antenna often or usually needs to be repositioned when changing channels and then go throughanother channel search process
I think that a $90 antenna could at least have a base, a pedestal, a tripod, something you place on a table, etc. that you can rotate slightly or move slightly. Taping it to the wall or window is just a bad idea and doesn't work well. I wonder if taping , untaping , retaping and repositioning the antenna was causing the antenna to lose its effectiveness,
A fine antenna , but does not live up to the claims of the manufaturer.
Excuse me. I have to do something with my television; the screen is going black again and again and again and again.
post #65 of 67 Old 01-30-2014, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have one of these in Sparks NV..a little under 30 mi from the transmitters in hilly
country. I am in a ground floor apartment.

I can receive those channels VHF13 and above but not those on VHF 7 & 8.
Tried it both with and without the amplifier. Actually it's better than I had expected.

The next step is to try it in another location.

Orrin - Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster
post #66 of 67 Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrin1933 View Post

I have one of these in Sparks NV..a little under 30 mi from the transmitters in hilly
country. I am in a ground floor apartment.

I can receive those channels VHF13 and above but not those on VHF 7 & 8.
Tried it both with and without the amplifier. Actually it's better than I had expected.

The next step is to try it in another location.
The similar Winegard Flatwave normally has better VHF capability than the Mohu Leaf. Sears sells the amplified version under the Alphaline brand, but the Winegard amped version at Costco is cheaper. Also Home Depot has the unamped version. But a Terk HDTVa or HDTVi may be a better choice for indoor antenna, especially for VHF with the rabbit ears. Sold at Fry's and HHG.
post #67 of 67 Old 01-31-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

The similar Winegard Flatwave normally has better VHF capability than the Mohu Leaf. Sears sells the amplified version under the Alphaline brand, but the Winegard amped version at Costco is cheaper. Also Home Depot has the unamped version. But a Terk HDTVa or HDTVi may be a better choice for indoor antenna, especially for VHF with the rabbit ears. Sold at Fry's and HHG.

Sparks, NV (89436)

I have a previously installed FM twin-lead dipole antenna.. so I bridged to that with a 300/72 balun and used a backward splitter to
combine the signal with that from the Leaf. The result is that I get all the locally transmitted stations except PBS (no loss there)!

I may try putting the amplifier somewhere in the circuit to see if PBS (ch15 / PSIP 5) comes in, but their transmitter is on a different mountain
and may be lower power.

Orrin - Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page