Mohu Antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 05-10-2011, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This thing has now moved to the #1 spot on Amazon for antenna sales. I see a lot of glowing reviews on the site ... but have yet to see a real analysis on it's performance. Does anybody have any real experience or analysis of this antenna and it's performance as an indoor antenna?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 05-10-2011, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post

Does anybody have any real experience or analysis of this antenna and it's performance as an indoor antenna?

You're asking the wrong question.

The correct question is "Will a Mohu antenna work for me?"

To answer that we need to know where you live. A specific location allows an antenna expert to figure out how strong the signals are at your house and if there are only UHF stations or a mixture of VHF and UHF.
post #3 of 67 Old 05-10-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Actually - I'm kind of interested in a more general analysis of anybody who had experience with this antenna.

I'm in the Minneapolis area - with transmitters 11 miles to the East of me, however I am in an apartment with only west-facing windows. I have no doubt that the antenna would pull in all the signals I need (as the current antennas I'm using now - the Wall-Tenna and the Winegard Freevision do even for the 2 VHF-HI stations).

What I'm curious on is their comparative claims. For example - the image that shows a higher signal strength lock when compared to their closest competitor on their chart - the Clearstream Convertible.

Both of my antennas will pull in signals in the 50's - 60's range for signal strength given the limitations of where they are at.

I'm curious whether an antenna that has leaped to Number One in sales (and one where you have to search awful deep in the Amazon comments to find a negative review) - has had a more detailed examination by antenna experts in regards to comparing sensitivity, for example.
post #4 of 67 Old 05-10-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
looks remarkedly like a flat UHF loop antenna (the edge binding is actually the antenna, maybe ?). no way it is "omnidirectional", because the main reception lobes are going to be perpendicular to the flat surface. Notice they never even list whether it can receive the high VHF channels....???

If you live within 15 miles of a TV transmitter tower, it will probably work fine, at least as good as a $0.99 wire loop antennas that used to come free with any TV you purchased.
post #5 of 67 Old 05-12-2011, 07:06 AM

I just bought it and it works great! Contrary to the above poster, this antenna is solving a major problem I have in the Chicago area - yes, I'm close to the transmitters - I'm in a condo just north of Chicago and have had tons of trouble picking up all channels with just one indoor antenna. Channels 2.1 and 7.1 being on the VHF band are nortoriously difficult to pickup-- and when I have them tuned, I can barely get WGN and WLS which are the easiest of all to receive. My two different indoor antennas are admittedly cheapo's (one from Radio Shack, one from Target) - but they both had both a UHF loop and VHF poles - but no matter what I did, I couldn't get all channels at the same time. So, skeptically, I bought this Mohu antenna. It worked immmediately. I didn't have any problems with orientation and even stuck it to the wall behind my HDTV and it still worked - gets all channels at the same time including 2.1 and 7.1. It's working great for both VHF and UHF band and orientation isn't a problem as long is I keep it verticle. I am amazed!
post #6 of 67 Old 05-13-2011, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
that's great, I'm glad it worked. I'm just a skeptic of a magic antenna with no explanation of how it works.
Since your expectations were met by using the antenna, then I'm very pleased it turned out well. Enjoy !
post #7 of 67 Old 05-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

that's great, I'm glad it worked. I'm just a skeptic of a magic antenna with no explanation of how it works.
Since your expectations were met by using the antenna, then I'm very pleased it turned out well. Enjoy !

Yea- as I said, I too was skeptical. Funny thing is you even mention doubting that it can pick up VHF unless you're close to the towers. My problem was I AM close to the towers and like many others in Chicago area, couldn't pick up the VHF and UHF at same time with a single indoor antenna even though both of my indoor antenna's had both VHF dipoles and UHF loop. Somehow, this thing works- i guess I'm happy with magic - LOL!
post #8 of 67 Old 05-16-2011, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought the mohu antenna after seeing people mention it on avsforum and I figured I'd give it a shot. I can say it definitely works if you live in an area with good reception and just want something small you can hide out of the way. I was able to set it on the ground behind my entertainment center and still pull in all the channels. It does have weaker VHF reception; there are a couple VHF stations that are harder to pick up with it, but I can still easily pick them up without interference. From what I can tell, it looks like it is a bowtie design under laminated plastic, but it seems to work pretty well.
post #9 of 67 Old 05-30-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Believe the hypes! I use this antenna in a windowless room. It picks up everything. Being invisible in priceless.
post #10 of 67 Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

... I'm just a skeptic of a magic antenna...

Because there is no magic antenna. Most all antennas sold will work perfectly somewhere.
post #11 of 67 Old 07-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm in Philly - home of WPVI, which broadcasts on VHF 6. Any idea if this'll work?
post #12 of 67 Old 07-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

I'm in Philly - home of WPVI, which broadcasts on VHF 6. Any idea if this'll work?

You'll need a real VHF antenna for WPVI. VHF-Lo works best with an outdoor antenna with the long elements on it. I have an antenna that barely picked up analog 2 & 5 in Chicago, but wouldn't pickup any digital stations on 2-6. So don't expect this antenna to pick up WPVI. I have heard of some people using a directional FM antenna to get WPVI, since channel 6 is practically on the edge of the FM band. So basically, you need an old-fashioned all channel antenna for Philadelphia.
post #13 of 67 Old 07-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks - I'll stick with my SquareShooter
post #14 of 67 Old 07-30-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I just received one in the mail today.
Holding it at an angle to a bright light, it looks like a dual UHF bowtie, on a printed-circuit board. Sort of like the old Radio Shack indoor antenna, or a DB-2, but without the reflector screen.

I'll have to do some tests.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #15 of 67 Old 08-01-2011, 08:00 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post

I have an antenna that barely picked up analog 2 & 5 in Chicago, but wouldn't pickup any digital stations on 2-6.

because they're aren't any.

Quote:

So don't expect this antenna to pick up WPVI. I have heard of some people using a directional FM antenna to get WPVI, since channel 6 is practically on the edge of the FM band. So basically, you need an old-fashioned all channel antenna for Philadelphia.

Not necessarily. Depends on where in Philly he lives. Does they actualy live in Philly or outside of Philly. Like you claim to live in Chicago but are actually in Gary, Indiana.
post #16 of 67 Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

I just received one in the mail today.
Holding it at an angle to a bright light, it looks like a dual UHF bowtie, on a printed-circuit board. Sort of like the old Radio Shack indoor antenna, or a DB-2, but without the reflector screen.

I'll have to do some tests.

Could multiple Mohus (Mohi?) be ganged up and installed on a homemade reflector? Like a McLapp M4 with Mohu elements?

My RabbitEars reception page-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 67 Old 08-02-2011, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you could just put aluminum foil on the rear of piece of cardboard (a couple of inches bigger than the Mohu Leaf), then glue the antenna to the cardboard "reflector" with a couple of big Styrofoam blocks behind it, and hang it all on the wall. That would make a nice looking indoor "DB-2"-style antenna.

"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #18 of 67 Old 08-02-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

I think you could just put aluminum foil on the rear of piece of cardboard (a couple of inches bigger than the Mohu Leaf), then glue the antenna to the cardboard "reflector" with a couple of big Styrofoam blocks behind it, and hang it all on the wall. That would make a nice looking indoor "DB-2"-style antenna.

..except for the big Styrofoam blocks and the aluminum foil reflector...

BTW, has anyone dissected this antenna to see what the reception elements are and what type of balun setup, if any, it has?
post #19 of 67 Old 08-02-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

If you hold one up to a light, you can see the traces on the circuit board (or, whatever). It's got two bow ties, and looks like four bus wires going down the middle. I haven't opened the plastic part where the cable goes in...it has a bulge, but I don't know if there's a balun in there or not.

Looks like the front of the old, classic Radio Shack set-top.

post #20 of 67 Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

I wonder if it's the same design as the Wall-Tenna ... which is about the size of the DB-2.

Would be interesting to compare both - as they are both designed for the same kind of performance/aesthetic audience.

By the way ... noticed from the AVSForum front page the link to the HTGuys article. They are now calling the Mohu their new favorite indoor antenna.
post #21 of 67 Old 11-19-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

The short answer is yes, the Wall-Tenna works. In my home in Haddonfield, New Jersey. The Wall-Tenna outperforms the Mohu Leaf and a traditional UHF bow tie when connected to my TiVo Premiere. I have the Wall-Tenna hanging in my first floor north facing window with velcro dots next to my av console. Your mileage and success may vary. I will pack up the Leaf and return it to Amazon on Monday.

Michael from the Cheryl and Mike Show
post #22 of 67 Old 11-19-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylandmike View Post

The short answer is yes, the Wall-Tenna works. In my home in Haddonfield, New Jersey.

It works FOR YOU. You are 15 miles from the tower. A paperclip in the RF port will work if the signal is strong enough.
post #23 of 67 Old 11-20-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd like to know why their commercials show a TV set tuned to channels "03" and "09", when this is a UHF-only antenna.
(Not "3-1" or "9-2", just the analog-style channel numbers.)

post #24 of 67 Old 01-03-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have decided to order a Mohu Leaf antenna based on the very strong ratings at Amazon.com and at some other web sites. When I receive it, I'll let others know whether it works well at my location.

I am mystified why the relatively-new Mohu Leaf has not been tested and evaluated by somebody at AVS Forum. The real-world performance of indoor antennas is difficult to predict, but a couple of years ago EV performed a "shoot-out" of two dozen indoor antennas and posted some very interesting comparison results.
post #25 of 67 Old 01-03-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

I am mystified why the relatively-new Mohu Leaf has not been tested and evaluated by somebody at AVS Forum. The real-world performance of indoor antennas is difficult to predict, but a couple of years ago EV performed a "shoot-out" of two dozen indoor antennas and posted some very interesting comparison results.

Go here

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=138226
post #26 of 67 Old 01-03-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, that thread isn't a test or evaluation of the Leaf....
post #27 of 67 Old 01-03-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Unfortunately, that thread isn't a test or evaluation of the Leaf....

Really? what are the pictures with the pretty rainbow colors then?

also

I thought I'd post my results with the Mohu Leaf vs. the Winegard FV-HD30 FreeVision

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...5&postcount=12

Sounds like an evaluation to me.
post #28 of 67 Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A review of the Mohu antenna has just been posted at:

www.hdtvexpert.com/?p=1619
post #29 of 67 Old 01-04-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Really? what are the pictures with the pretty rainbow colors then?

It's not the Leaf. It's some design that "loveota" was working on and apparently hijacked that thread...

Quote:

also

I thought I'd post my results with the Mohu Leaf vs. the Winegard FV-HD30 FreeVision

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...5&postcount=12

Sounds like an evaluation to me.

I'd call that a bland but not particularly useful user review/report.

Quote:

A review of the Mohu antenna has just been posted at:

www.hdtvexpert.com/?p=1619

Now I'd qualify that as a real review!

If you look at the reviews of the Leaf on Amazon, there's one where the guy physically dissected the Leaf and posted photos of the element pattern.
post #30 of 67 Old 01-04-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It's been over six months since I lasted posted here. Yes, the Mohu Leaf is a winner. I have been testing an RCA flat antenna that I bought for $30 at Sam's Club. Both the Leaf and the RCA pull in the same stations. The difference is the RCA antenna produces too many of those signal break-up (don't know what to call it) where the image becomes unwatchable. This can last for a few seconds to a few minutes. The Mohu Leaf does this very rarely.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page