Alternatives to Charter cable box? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-23-2011, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just expanded my charter service to include some of their HD packages, and only picked up one cable box, as I incorrectly assumed that the HD tuner in my HDTV could pickup the new channels on its own.

I now know this isn't the case, and that I would need to get another box from charter.

My question is, are there any tuner boxes available that I won't have to give back at the end of the contract? I would like to get the channels I paid for in the bedroom and living room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-23-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The channel numbers displayed on a TV's QAM tuner are often different than the numbers displayed with a cableco's set top box. Before giving up, try a TV menu rescan for cable channels, and look at all channels found.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

I did a rescan for channels, it pulls up 65 analog and 103 digital channels.

In the auto skip section it shows channels the bulk of the new channels as being skipped, (100 - 135) and then skipping all the way to 979-18 (OTA local municipality)

The TV is a Vizio VA26L, and I don't see anyway to change the way it scans.
post #4 of 14 Old 05-23-2011, 03:33 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

The channel numbers displayed on a TV's QAM tuner are often different than the numbers displayed with a cableco's set top box. Before giving up, try a TV menu rescan for cable channels, and look at all channels found.

If he wants more HD than just the locals and digital music he needs to get the HD box. And he'll have to give it back if he discontinues service. Why you'd want to keep it if you don't have service is something I'd like to know, because it's pretty useless then.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-23-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Bottom line...
IN the U.S....if you want digital channels (and HD channels) other than "locals", you have to rent a cable box from your cable provider and return it if you cancel your subscription.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-23-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Bottom line...
IN the U.S....if you want digital channels (and HD channels) other than "locals", you have to rent a cable box from your cable provider and return it if you cancel your subscription.

As I said if you discontinue service what good would it be anyways? Most areas are serviced by just one cable company.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-23-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

As I said if you discontinue service what good would it be anyways? Most areas are serviced by just one cable company.

Chillax Sparky...
No one disagrees with you.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-23-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Chillax Sparky...
No one disagrees with you.

I am chilled. I'm currious as to why you would infer my post as being angry. Perhaps it's you that needs to chill. Since you think everyone is angry is must mean that's because you are always angry. Anyways I was asking the OP the question.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-23-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My point.
Just like my wife, you can have the last word.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-23-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saigashooter View Post

My question is, are there any tuner boxes available that I won't have to give back at the end of the contract? I would like to get the channels I paid for in the bedroom and living room.

Yes. You can buy either a TiVo Premier or Moxi, both of which use a CableCARD rented from Charter. The only drawback with either of these is they won't do VOD. They will get all the channels you pay for, premiums included, and DVR function. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1204433

Also, you can build a PC with a CableCARD slot and use WMC or other software to run the DVR. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...sprune=-1&f=26

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #11 of 14 Old 05-23-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Yes. You can buy either a TiVo Premier or Moxi, both of which use a CableCARD rented from Charter. The only drawback with either of these is they won't do VOD. They will get all the channels you pay for, premiums included, and DVR function. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1204433

Also, you can build a PC with a CableCARD slot and use WMC or other software to run the DVR. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...sprune=-1&f=26

Yeah that's assuming Charter wil give you a cablecard. Good luck with that. At least in my area the answer you get is "Sorry we're out. We're not sure when we'll get any in. Check back later." and of course they NEVER get any in.

Anyways pehaps this will help

http://www.myaccount.charter.com/cus...eID=15#geninfo
post #12 of 14 Old 05-24-2011, 03:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Yeah that's assuming Charter wil give you a cablecard. Good luck with that. At least in my area the answer you get is "Sorry we're out. We're not sure when we'll get any in. Check back later." and of course they NEVER get any in.

They have to provide them. A call to the FCC may be in order, if they refuse to provide them in your area.

I would first suggest contacting AVS member Umatter2Charter in this topic: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...903396&page=35

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #13 of 14 Old 06-02-2014, 10:46 AM

There is currently a bill in the House of Representatives that threatens the consumers ability to provide their own set top box. The bill is H.R.3196 which is sponsored by Rep. Latta (R-OH) and Rep Green (D-TX) that will nullify the law that enabled us to own our own boxes back in 1996. These two reps are receiving large donations from the cable and satellite industry

Also Rep. Walden who chairs this committee is receiving donations as well.

The  Honorable  Greg  Walden,  Chairman

U.S.  House  of  Representatives

Committee  on  Energy  &  Committee

Please go to this site and sign the petition to try to stop this outlandish bill.

http://www.consumertvchoice.org/

post #14 of 14 Old 06-02-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Krash View Post

There is currently a bill in the House of Representatives that threatens the consumers ability to provide their own set top box. The bill is H.R.3196 which is sponsored by Rep. Latta (R-OH) and Rep Green (D-TX) that will nullify the law that enabled us to own our own boxes back in 1996. These two reps are receiving large donations from the cable and satellite industry
Also Rep. Walden who chairs this committee is receiving donations as well.

The  Honorable  Greg  Walden,  Chairman
U.S.  House  of  Representatives
Committee  on  Energy  &  Committee

Please go to this site and sign the petition to try to stop this outlandish bill.
http://www.consumertvchoice.org/

Actual Library of Congress summary of H.R. 3196:

Amends the Communications Act of 1934 to prohibit the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) from adopting any rule or policy prohibiting a multichannel video programming distributor from placing into service navigation devices for sale, lease, or use that perform both conditional access and other functions in a single integrated device. Repeals any such rule or policy adopted by the FCC prior to enactment of this Act.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page