How Do I "Program" Channels for Samsung 19D4000 w/ Comcast Digital Cable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2011, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't really tell where exactly to post this particular query, I hope this section is OK...

Yesterday I picked up a new Samsung 19DN4000 19" display. Lovely unit. Now, if only I could figure out how to program the channels from my Comcast digital cable service.

Previously I had a very old analog TV the required Comcast's new digital cable converter to get any signal at all. That converter ran SD channels from like 02 to... at least 100 something, maybe 200. Dunno cause I only ever watched about four channels on it.

The Samsung unit, since it's digital, I figure I can plug the cable straight into the display. Then there is an "auto program" channel search function that I guess is supposed to find all the channels in my digital cable. Except... it's not finding most of them.

The whole channel lineup is screwy. Instead of showing me channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc., I've got 2, 2-2 - which in this case is WKRN SD, and then WKRN HD. Likewise for the other major broadcast stations in my area (Nashville).

But that's about all I'm getting - the local network broadcast affiliates and their HD channel. No MSNBC. No CNBC. No History Channel. And, God forbid on my wife's behalf, no HDTV.

Last night I called Comcast. Their rep was clueless. I called Samsung, spoke to somebody in Bangalore. Also clueless.

It seems to me that getting a new TeeVee to receive the channels I have available should not be so difficult. Welcome to live in the HD/Digital era.

Does anybody know how I'm supposed to program this thing so that I can acutally USE it??

Thanks,

--PS

"The difficult we do right away; the impossible takes slightly longer." -- Philo T. Farnsworth, Inventor of Television <http://farnovision.com>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-04-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You will not get anything but the locals in HD on the QAM tuner built into your TV. You may get a few other local channels, a weather sub channel etc, but you will NOT get the others you mention...MSNBC, History, etc...

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #3 of 7 Old 06-04-2011, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you use your own tuner after you scan all (digital and analog) what you see is what you get, so just get used to the numbering scheme which is subject to change at any time!!
As far as what you get will depend on the channels that are in the clear from the cable company all others will not be viewable.
Essentially you have 2 choices to receive all channels that you pay for, rent a cable box or purchase a TIVO and rent a cable card from the cable company.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-04-2011, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Great. I get a TeeVee for $200 and have to spend another $2-$300 to actually get any channels on it? What's up with that?

Can I just use the little digital/analog converter I still have from Comcast? In that case what would I do, treat it like an antenna in the settings?

This should not be so complicated...

"The difficult we do right away; the impossible takes slightly longer." -- Philo T. Farnsworth, Inventor of Television <http://farnovision.com>
post #5 of 7 Old 06-06-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You can use the DTA box just like on your old TV, but you will only be able to see Standard Def channels. If you want HD channels you will have to use the TVs internal clear QAM tuner to get your locals in HD, and miss out on the scrambled SD channels, or you can rent a HD cable box from your cable company.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-06-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver49 View Post
Great. I get a TeeVee for $200 and have to spend another $2-$300 to actually get any channels on it? What's up with that?
The boxes you get from Comcast are only rented, just like the one you have now, and for a basic HD box they usually charge around $7 a month. To record, an HD DVR is closer to $15 per month, and the playback is exactly like you were watching it live.

To buy a new TiVo Premier the last time I checked they were $99, and you rent the CableCARD from Comcast for usually $2-$3 per month. Again, you'll get all the HD channels you pay for and again you can record and playback.

Quote:
Can I just use the little digital/analog converter I still have from Comcast? In that case what would I do, treat it like an antenna in the settings?
Yes, set the TV tuner on ch 3 and you'll be all set for all the SD channels you are paying for. But, since you have an HDTV, the better solution is to rent an HD box and get what your money's worth from the new HDTV.

The primary reason you need a box is because the content owners (like Disney, etc.) insist the cableco's encrypt the channels. The cableco's also like the idea of having a secured system that ensures a subscriber only gets the programming they pay for.

Look at it this way; if all the HD channels were in the clear, all cable subs would get all the HD available, even if they weren't paying for it. How long could a company stay in business giving away their product?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #7 of 7 Old 06-06-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

The boxes you get from Comcast are only rented, just like the one you have now, and for a basic HD box they usually charge around $7 a month. To record, an HD DVR is closer to $15 per month, and the playback is exactly like you were watching it live.

To buy a new TiVo Premier the last time I checked they were $99, and you rent the CableCARD from Comcast for usually $2-$3 per month. Again, you'll get all the HD channels you pay for and again you can record and playback.

With the $99 TiVo you will also need to make a 1 year commitment @ $19.99/mo in addition to the cable card rental fee.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page