SA 4250 hdc and picture not fitting screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-05-2011, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so all of the sudden my regular sd shows are showing up in regular format and not filling the whole screen. If I put the TV on stretch or zoom they fill it in but then the guide is half cut off when you look at it as well as the HD channels. Until this week none of this happened. My SD channels were 16.9 and my guide still fit the screen. My hd channels also fit the screen. There was a power blip last week. I have tried all the formats on my tv and messed with the cable box settings but nothing is fixing it. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

I have a 4240 which has the following aspect ratio settings for the TV Type 16:9 options. Sidebar 4:3, Stretch 4:3 and zoom 4:3. The Sidebar setting displays SD material normally with gray sidebars. The Stretch setting makes the SD fit the 16:9 screen horizontally only maintaining the vertical setting the same as the Sidebar setting. The guide displays normally. The Zoom setting adds vertical stretching to make the proportions of display correct. The top and bottom of the screen cannot be seen in this mode. The guide from the 4240 still displays correctly. The description above applys when the Aspect Ratio of the HDTV is set to normal.

Assuming your 4250 works like my 4240 and my understanding of your viewing preference, that you prefer the SD programs fill the TV screen without loosing the top and bottom material, the Stretch option should be used. Then select the normal aspect ratio setting for your HDTV which does not further stretch the sd programs. Be aware that more and more SD material is letterboxed having also top and bottom bars because of their using the HD 16:9 format on the SD channels. The horizontal Stretch will be maintained even with the top and bottom bars present.

I hope this helps.

If it isn't 720p or 1080i/p it isn't HD. If it is 720p or 1080i/p it may not be HD content.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-06-2011, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sounds like the stretch option is on either on the TV or the STB. Make sure the TV's aspect ratio setting is set to normal.

I have the 4250 HD and there is a setting for picture size (Normal, stretch, auto fit). If you press settings once, it will take you to a menu where you can change it.

If all else fails, you can enter the set-up wizard of the STB. With the STB off, press guide+info buttons on the front at the same time, it should bring up a set-up wizard for aspect ratios.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-06-2011, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Your TV and or Cable Box is trying to do you a favor.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #5 of 6 Old 06-06-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

I tried the settings but cannot find the "Normal, stretch, auto fit" settings anywhere in there. The reason I want my regular sd channels to fit the screen is that watching an sd movie channel I want to have 46" picture not a 38" square picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post
Sounds like the stretch option is on either on the TV or the STB. Make sure the TV's aspect ratio setting is set to normal.

I have the 4250 HD and there is a setting for picture size (Normal, stretch, auto fit). If you press settings once, it will take you to a menu where you can change it.

If all else fails, you can enter the set-up wizard of the STB. With the STB off, press guide+info buttons on the front at the same time, it should bring up a set-up wizard for aspect ratios.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-06-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Got it! There is a button way at the bottom of the remote that reads HD Zoom. It is tiny and hard to read but it is there and it fixes my problem totally. No way to get to this option without the remote that I could find.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page