Comcast HD Box in another location? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-16-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought my HD comcast box over to my uncles house and it works without any problems. I plan on ordering the WWE PPV on sunday because the power is down at my old place. I was wondering will there be any problems with this? I'm using my uncles cable line and everything seems to be working great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Although Comcast would not be very happy about this, if your uncle lives relatively close by and you've already tried it and it works Ok, it should work for PPV.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 06-16-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

yea he pretty much lives the town over. maybe 5-10 minutes in a car.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

...it should work for PPV.

Who's going to be billed, the box assignee or the line subscriber? I'd guess it is the box person.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum View Post

Who's going to be billed, the box assignee or the line subscriber? I'd guess it is the box person.

It will be billed to account the box is from.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Often a cable box will fail if used outside the node it was authorized in. A node is typically a 10 block or so radius (or a couple hundred subscribers). Don't be too surprised if your box loses most of its channels.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Often a cable box will fail if used outside the node it was authorized in. A node is typically a 10 block or so radius (or a couple hundred subscribers).

Incorrect.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum View Post

Correct. The box is what the system 'sees'.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Often a cable box will fail if used outside the node it was authorized in. A node is typically a 10 block or so radius (or a couple hundred subscribers). Don't be too surprised if your box loses most of its channels.

Quote:

Incorrect.

In an addressable cable system 'resources' (cable boxes, modems, phone modems) are allocated (authorized) by a server attached to the billing system. In large systems these allocations aren't broadcast to the entire system, but are done on a hub by hub or even node by node basis. Therefore a box that can't communicate with the proper allocation server can end up being bricked. This is to ensure that someone in node X is actually paying the full price of a given package and not simply paying their cousin in node Y the cost of renting an additional converter box.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In an addressable cable system 'resources' (cable boxes, modems, phone modems) are allocated (authorized) by a server attached to the billing system. In large systems these allocations aren't broadcast to the entire system, but are done on a hub by hub or even node by node basis. Therefore a box that can't communicate with the proper allocation server can end up being bricked. This is to ensure that someone in node X is actually paying the full price of a given package and not simply paying their cousin in node Y the cost of renting an additional converter box.

I understand how addressable cable systems work in this regard. To say a box won't work outside a node or hub is incorrect. Conditional access can extend to entire localities or multiple localities in many cases. Even if a box is attempted to be used in an unauthorized area it vary rarely suffers any long term effect that isn't reversed as soon as it sees the home head end.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand how addressable cable systems work in this regard. To say a box won't work outside a node or hub is incorrect. Conditional access can extend to entire localities or multiple localities in many cases. Even if a box is attempted to be used in an unauthorized area it vary rarely suffers any long term effect that isn't reversed as soon as it sees the home head end.

Who said that? You? I said 'can end up' and 'often will fail'. This is true because the Cable Co. does not want people getting services they don't pay for as I previously stated. And moving a cable box to another address qualifies as receiving services not paid for at that address. They would like a means of limiting allocation to a single physical address but can only refine that to a node at the smallest. And they do from time to time sweep all unauthorized boxes. It is true that once a bricked box is hit by the proper allocation server it will generally re-allocate, but what if the box de-authorizes after you've spent $30 for the PPV event?
Old 06-18-2011, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

I've been watching tv on the box at my uncles for a few days now and no channel lost. I'm thinking I will be alright as I will be going home after today anyway. On Demand even works properly so I'm hoping PPV won't be a issue.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Who said that? You? I said 'can end up' and 'often will fail'. This is true because the Cable Co. does not want people getting services they don't pay for as I previously stated. And moving a cable box to another address qualifies as receiving services not paid for at that address.

Agree. Which I referenced in my first comment in this topic - "Comcast wouldn't be very happy about (you doing) this..."

Again, you said a box will often fail if it's not within 10 blocks of the node it's authorised in. That is incorrect. Most cableco's do not limit authorization areas to a single node; most have much larger authorization areas. Being specific, Comcast has multiple cities covering dozens of square miles in their authorization areas.

Quote:

They would like a means of limiting allocation to a single physical address but can only refine that to a node at the smallest.

Agree, but what they are capable of doing and what they actually do are two different things. In the end it all depends on the specific cableco and what they want to spend on conditional access.

Quote:

And they do from time to time sweep all unauthorized boxes.

If a box is unauthorized, it won't work anywhere. If it's authorized, it works anywhere in the area it's authorized for.
Quote:

It is true that once a bricked box is hit by the proper allocation server it will generally re-allocate, but what if the box de-authorizes after you've spent $30 for the PPV event?

It doesn't happen that way. Either it will work properly in a given area or not, assuming the account is active and current.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:07 AM

I moved into my sisters home about three months ago. I am about 6 miles from my old location. I brought my box and modem. I have been using it all along and continue to pay the bill. No problems so far. I have been experiencing very slow download times on the computer though. I am not sure if that is because of this or not.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:07 AM

I moved into my sisters home about three months ago. I am about 6 miles from my old location. I brought my box and modem. I have been using it all along and continue to pay the bill. No problems so far. I have been experiencing very slow download times on the computer though. I am not sure if that is because of this or not.