How to unlock inputs on hotel HDTV? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 07-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Another semi-related question: I carry a small Lite-On DVDR when I travel. Most of the time I have no problems, but occasionally (usually at a Motel 6) I encounter a TV system that includes neither channel 3 nor 4. Since I use an RF converter that inputs into 3 or 4, I cannot access the inner workings of the DVDR, making programming impossible. At one location I had to resort to buying a portable TV from a thrift shop. One time I got engineering to program channel 4 into the TV, but the next time there the (supposed) engineering guy had no clue how to do so. Is there any work around I can use (other than the separate TV idea).?

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 07-14-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

Another semi-related question: I carry a small Lite-On DVDR when I travel. Most of the time I have no problems, but occasionally (usually at a Motel 6) I encounter a TV system that includes neither channel 3 nor 4. Since I use an RF converter that inputs into 3 or 4, I cannot access the inner workings of the DVDR, making programming impossible. At one location I had to resort to buying a portable TV from a thrift shop. One time I got engineering to program channel 4 into the TV, but the next time there the (supposed) engineering guy had no clue how to do so. Is there any work around I can use (other than the separate TV idea).?

Here's one that's too good to be true. A digital channel 37-64 modulator NEW for $2.95 plus shipping, from Pennsylvania. I entered my local zip code and ground shipping to me (about 200 miles) was just another $6.16. They have SEVEN left.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Centronics-Single-Source-Digital-Modulator-High-Band-MOD1HB-/321040350597?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abf7efd85
post #33 of 44 Old 07-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post

Here's one that's too good to be true. A digital channel 37-64 modulator NEW for $2.95 plus shipping, from Pennsylvania. I entered my local zip code and ground shipping to me (about 200 miles) was just another $6.16. They have SEVEN left.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Centronics-Single-Source-Digital-Modulator-High-Band-MOD1HB-/321040350597?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abf7efd85

Shipping to me (Henderson, Nevada) would be over $16 dollars. Intriguing, but I'll see if there are other answers. Thanks!

post #34 of 44 Old 07-15-2013, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
What other answers can there be? You will need either a commercial, master remote for the TV in the room you are having a problem in, or worse, the TV's menu might be password protected and no remote will be able to enable it without the password.

The last time I had to get replacement master remotes for a hotel with lots of small batches of different TVs, I paid $30 to $35 each.
post #35 of 44 Old 07-15-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

What other answers can there be? You will need either a commercial, master remote for the TV in the room you are having a problem in, or worse, the TV's menu might be password protected and no remote will be able to enable it without the password.

The last time I had to get replacement master remotes for a hotel with lots of small batches of different TVs, I paid $30 to $35 each.

Here, again, is a source for two of the more popular.
post #36 of 44 Old 07-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

"sigh". I'll think on it. I don't go to those motels much any more, and funds are limited. Thanks for the link.

post #37 of 44 Old 10-11-2013, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

post #38 of 44 Old 11-19-2013, 04:27 PM

Hi There, allow me to help here

I travel and spend 200 plus nights a year at various hotels both in and out of the USA. I travel with my PlayStation 3 nearly all the time. I like to watch blue ray movies, watch net flicks, and enjoy playing games online with my 20 year old son who is back home. These days most all hotel TVs are the same. they have input jacks of various types for your toys. I have yet to find what some people will call special hotel made TVs that have the external connections but no internal to go with it. The LG brand covers about 75% of the TVs I run into. the below procedure covers most models of newer LG sets.

first thing to try... If the input buttons on the side of the TV have no effect and your hotel has a on command or lodge net system you must unplug the phone/modem line going into the rear of the set. The on command or lodge net connection will make the TV set brain dead. It fully takes control of the set. once the line is unplugged normally the buttons on the side for selecting inputs become enabled. most times this is all that's needed.

If the above does not still enable the input selection buttons. The company that installed the on command or lodge net system sometimes will lock out all the external inputs. This is done to force you or attempt to force you to buy a PPV movie. sometimes this is at the hotels request but most of the time the hotel has no idea they are even locked out and the installation company just does it on their own to increase revenue. When I get to this point I will walk down to the front desk and ask why it is locked out. sometimes you will get a dumb look and other times they will tell you its corporate policy. I have yet to run into any hotel chain where this is really the corporate policy but have been told this over and over. sometimes the owner maybe behind it but not normally. I have also been told by front desk personal that some other guest go buy a TV set to use while at the hotel and return it when under a 15 or 30 day return policy. I have yet to need to sink to this level. I guess not really illegal but not really a good idea in my mind. I always at this point tell them I am very dissatisfied with the hotel and ask for the owners email and tell them I  will be checking out. They do not like the word dissatisfied.  I normally stay 10 to 20 days in row and follow up trips latter so the dollar amount they will lose encourages them to help.

You will need the original LG remote from the TV set. most times they have one laying around. If not usually a universal remote from the local store will work also. just be sure there is a menu and enter buttons. with the phone line in the back removed and the TV set on push the menu button over and over. each time you push the button the menu screen will show up on the screen then go away with the next push. do this over and over until the menu screen no longer comes up. now push the 9 8 7 6 buttons in that order than enter. it may take you a couple times to get it right. If you got it a installer screen comes up on the screen. you can now scroll up and down all the settings. be careful here on what you change. DO NOT reset the TV to factory defaults if you want the TV to function normally when you leave...learned this the hard way. The  up and down buttons on the remote scrolls through settings and the right and left buttons change the settings. A "0" as the set point is off and a "1" is on. the set points you need to change are the following 34,35,38,39,40,91, all those should be set to "1" once done turn the set off and back on. the buttons on the side will work and you can select which input jack you want to use. The TV set is now unlocked. when done playing or watching simply re-plug in the phone/modem line and the TV it fully restored back to normal but will remain unlocked until someone changes the settings back. when you go to use the input jacks the phone line must be unplugged. to watch TV and use the standard (on command)remote the line must be plugged in. please be sure that the phone line is plugged back in when checking out for the next guess.

for further reading enjoyment see the webpage below. copy and paste the link to Google and the page will display.

www.lg.com/us/commercial/.../42ld340h-commercial-mode-setup-guide

I have even had hotel managers ask for me to show them how to unlock the sets for future use. a few times they even went around and unlocked all the sets at the hotel after I showed him how easy it is.

hope this helps. someone helped me through this a while back and I thought I would pass it on to help someone else out. you know pay it forward. If this helps you out than do something good for someone else to repay me

littlejohn

post #39 of 44 Old 01-21-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn64 View Post

Hi There, allow me to help here
I travel and spend 200 plus nights a year at various hotels both in and out of the USA. I travel with my PlayStation 3 nearly all the time. I like to watch blue ray movies, watch net flicks, and enjoy playing games online with my 20 year old son who is back home. These days most all hotel TVs are the same. they have input jacks of various types for your toys. I have yet to find what some people will call special hotel made TVs that have the external connections but no internal to go with it. The LG brand covers about 75% of the TVs I run into. the below procedure covers most models of newer LG sets.
first thing to try... If the input buttons on the side of the TV have no effect and your hotel has a on command or lodge net system you must unplug the phone/modem line going into the rear of the set. The on command or lodge net connection will make the TV set brain dead. It fully takes control of the set. once the line is unplugged normally the buttons on the side for selecting inputs become enabled. most times this is all that's needed.
If the above does not still enable the input selection buttons. The company that installed the on command or lodge net system sometimes will lock out all the external inputs. This is done to force you or attempt to force you to buy a PPV movie. sometimes this is at the hotels request but most of the time the hotel has no idea they are even locked out and the installation company just does it on their own to increase revenue. When I get to this point I will walk down to the front desk and ask why it is locked out. sometimes you will get a dumb look and other times they will tell you its corporate policy. I have yet to run into any hotel chain where this is really the corporate policy but have been told this over and over. sometimes the owner maybe behind it but not normally. I have also been told by front desk personal that some other guest go buy a TV set to use while at the hotel and return it when under a 15 or 30 day return policy. I have yet to need to sink to this level. I guess not really illegal but not really a good idea in my mind. I always at this point tell them I am very dissatisfied with the hotel and ask for the owners email and tell them I  will be checking out. They do not like the word dissatisfied.  I normally stay 10 to 20 days in row and follow up trips latter so the dollar amount they will lose encourages them to help.
You will need the original LG remote from the TV set. most times they have one laying around. If not usually a universal remote from the local store will work also. just be sure there is a menu and enter buttons. with the phone line in the back removed and the TV set on push the menu button over and over. each time you push the button the menu screen will show up on the screen then go away with the next push. do this over and over until the menu screen no longer comes up. now push the 9 8 7 6 buttons in that order than enter. it may take you a couple times to get it right. If you got it a installer screen comes up on the screen. you can now scroll up and down all the settings. be careful here on what you change. DO NOT reset the TV to factory defaults if you want the TV to function normally when you leave...learned this the hard way. The  up and down buttons on the remote scrolls through settings and the right and left buttons change the settings. A "0" as the set point is off and a "1" is on. the set points you need to change are the following 34,35,38,39,40,91, all those should be set to "1" once done turn the set off and back on. the buttons on the side will work and you can select which input jack you want to use. The TV set is now unlocked. when done playing or watching simply re-plug in the phone/modem line and the TV it fully restored back to normal but will remain unlocked until someone changes the settings back. when you go to use the input jacks the phone line must be unplugged. to watch TV and use the standard (on command)remote the line must be plugged in. please be sure that the phone line is plugged back in when checking out for the next guess.
for further reading enjoyment see the webpage below. copy and paste the link to Google and the page will display.
 www.lg.com/us/commercial/.../42ld340h-commercial-mode-setup-guide
I have even had hotel managers ask for me to show them how to unlock the sets for future use. a few times they even went around and unlocked all the sets at the hotel after I showed him how easy it is.

hope this helps. someone helped me through this a while back and I thought I would pass it on to help someone else out. you know pay it forward. If this helps you out than do something good for someone else to repay me

littlejohn

I pull up this link because I'm having the same problem. The inputs work on my system yet I get no video signal. I can hear the game but no video. I have a buddy staying in the same hotel in a different room having the same problem (audio and no video). This is my ps3 and his ps4. Very annoying. The hotel people can't fix it and will be getting a poor review. They did try but no fixy still. I went through the TV back end master controls Menu 9,8,7,6 and made sure everything was turned on and still audio and no video.
post #40 of 44 Old 03-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This week I'm staying in the Hyatt Place Hotel in N. Charleston, SC for work. They have probally the most guest friendly setup. An input panel next to the TV allows you to input Component, HDMI, Composite, or VGA/HDMI, complete with audio on all inputs.

The only problem is their implementation of DirecTV sucks... only 36 actual channels and most of them are in SD. They don't even have all of the local affiliates in HD, or at all! The ACC Tournament is airing on the local MNT station and ESPNU. ESPNU is a grainy analog cable feed picture, and they don't carry the MNT affiliate at all! Never seen a hotel not carry the free OTA channels...
post #41 of 44 Old 03-13-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post

This week I'm staying in the Hyatt Place Hotel in N. Charleston, SC for work. ..

Bummer..Since Tv there is so bad, suggest you drive over to Mt Pleasant and eat dinner at The Wreck..smile.gif

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #42 of 44 Old 03-24-2014, 09:51 PM

So at the Best Western in Little Rock, AK they have LG TV with a "clean remote" which is terms mean #'s 0-9 and a few other buttons. With this tv the side buttons are locked but if you just plug the HDMI cable into the 1st port it asked if you'd like to change over and just hit yes, and your ready to go

post #43 of 44 Old 03-25-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I keep a $4 Philips universal remote in my bag when I travel for just this purpose.
DrDon likes this.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #44 of 44 Old 04-25-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chis1fman View Post

I pull up this link because I'm having the same problem. The inputs work on my system yet I get no video signal. I can hear the game but no video. I have a buddy staying in the same hotel in a different room having the same problem (audio and no video). This is my ps3 and his ps4. Very annoying. The hotel people can't fix it and will be getting a poor review. They did try but no fixy still. I went through the TV back end master controls Menu 9,8,7,6 and made sure everything was turned on and still audio and no video.

Anyone ever find a solution to this? I have the exact same problem. After I pull the Lodgenet card out I hear audio but there's no video through HDMI.
TV is LG 32lc50cb
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page