How to unlock inputs on hotel HDTV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 06-21-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I took my best guess. For some reason this Fairfield Inn (Marriot) has locked everything but the coax connection. I just want to play some XBOX...is that so much to ask?

Anyway I tried researching for about two hours and all I could come up with for the LG tv (32LC50CB) is a code on the remote to use. The code I input is 0 2 4 9 9 5 [MENU button] and does bring up an alternate menu with more options. I found the section LOCK -> Aux. Lock and turned all the options to off for the inputs. However when I exit that menu all input options are still grayed out except TV (coax). I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if what I'm attempting is impossible.

I have to be in this hotel for 27 days and this is really ridiculous I think. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 06-21-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpatterson007 View Post

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I took my best guess. For some reason this Fairfield Inn (Marriot) has locked everything but the coax connection. I just want to play some XBOX...is that so much to ask?

Anyway I tried researching for about two hours and all I could come up with for the LG tv (32LC50CB) is a code on the remote to use. The code I input is 0 2 4 9 9 5 [MENU button] and does bring up an alternate menu with more options. I found the section LOCK -> Aux. Lock and turned all the options to off for the inputs. However when I exit that menu all input options are still grayed out except TV (coax). I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if what I'm attempting is impossible.

I have to be in this hotel for 27 days and this is really ridiculous I think. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Have you tried calling the front desk and ask if they can help you? They probably have a master remote that can unlock the inputs. Why they would lock the inputs, I don't know.
post #3 of 44 Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

I tried, but the girl at the front desk is kind of clueless it sounds like. I had to explain what the HDMI ports were and stuff on the TV. I'll try to call again in the morning if I don't get it fixed and see if I get someone more competent.
post #4 of 44 Old 06-21-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I have unlocked some hotel-motel-holiday inn LG sets in the past. The info is available if you look hard enough..At the last one I was able to unlock and do a clear QAM scan...the hotel was fed by the local CATV system...I got the locals in HD and the Music Choice channels.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #5 of 44 Old 06-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

They don't want you to be able to hook up your own game system, DVD player, etc. They want you to pay for movies, games, etc. through Lodgenet or another comparable in-house pay per view system.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #6 of 44 Old 06-21-2011, 08:33 PM

This is a somewhat related question. How do hotels not using the local CATV system do HD (especially local network channels)?
post #7 of 44 Old 06-22-2011, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The manufacturers make special TVs for hotels that do not have the electronics in them to support all inputs. This is done so customers will not steal them for use at home.
post #8 of 44 Old 06-22-2011, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjckc View Post

This is a somewhat related question. How do hotels not using the local CATV system do HD (especially local network channels)?

DirecTV and DISHNetwork have complex arrangements with Thompson to employ a proprietary encryption called "Pro:Idiom", which is a technology that strips the DBS providers encryption and replaces it with another, and each subscribed-to channel is distributed via Pro:Idiom encrypted QAM where it can only be decrypted by a TV that has a Pro:Idiom card installed in it.

It is also possible to convert the broadcast 8VSB signals to QAM using a device called a transcoder, which costs less than Pro:Idiom conversion and is compatible with the Pro:Idiom system. It is even slightly cheaper to frequency shift the broadcast, 8VSB signals to vacant cable TV channels. The LG TVs will decode 8VSB signals when found on cable channels these, whereas some other TVs will not and will instead ignore them. One quirky effect of simply frequency shifting them is that some of them will have peculiar channel numbers, as they might display what we are used to seeing as 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 as 88.3, 88.4. and 88.5. Explaining why that is goes beyond the scope of this thread

I don't think there is a master remote for those LG TVs. I've asked LG commercial about that on a couple of occasions, when they first started manufacturing that series of TVs, and they said there was not, but then, their reps I spoke to didn't even know about the alternate menu, either. I only found out about that from another commercial satellite dealer some time later. For my purposes, it was sufficient to password-protect the menu access. I would have thought that pass-word protection would have blocked access to the alternate menu, also.
post #9 of 44 Old 06-22-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post

DirecTV and DISHNetwork have complex arrangements with Thompson to employ a proprietary encryption called "Pro:Idiom", which is a technology that strips the DBS providers encryption and replaces it with another, and each subscribed-to channel is distributed via Pro:Idiom encrypted QAM where it can only be decrypted by a TV that has a Pro:Idiom card installed in it..

Here..Time Warner provides the ProIdiom feeds to the hotels via individually programmed nodes so that the hotels don't have to install all of the headend equipment.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #10 of 44 Old 06-22-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Here..Time Warner provides the ProIdiom feeds to the hotels via individually programmed nodes so that the hotels don't have to install all of the headend equipment.

Another industry professional reported similar encrypted distribution elsewhere, but what I don't understand is, why would the cable company have to use Pro:Idiom rather than its own encryption? That way, they could outfit the TVs with inexpensive, non-proprietary Cablecards rather than with Pro:Idiom cards which retail for $99 each and sell wholesale for typically $40-something each.
post #11 of 44 Old 06-22-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I garnered that it was because the ProIdiom sets were the set of choice...and the headend and monthly costs savings were significant.

Bob

post #12 of 44 Old 06-22-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

I garnered that it was because the ProIdiom sets were the set of choice...and the headend and monthly costs savings were significant.

I don't see how it could be cheaper. One customer of mine who is going to be going to Pro:Idiom within a year bought a dozen Pro:Idiom capable TVs - I forget if they were Philips or Samsung - and they came not only with a cable card slot, but also with a cable card already installed, so the marginal cost of enabling each of these TVs to tune and process conventionally encrypted signal would be zero, whereas it would be over $40 per TV to install the Pro:Idiom cads and $2,000 per channel headend cost..
post #13 of 44 Old 06-22-2011, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The Talking Stick resort outside of Scottsdale, AZ, uses Cisco IPTV boxes with all TV service delivered over Ethernet. No idea what they use on the backend since I was just a guest there. They did provide a box with the usual complement of inputs to hook up a laptop or whatever without having to dig around behind the TV.
post #14 of 44 Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 PM

The LG is programmed via a computer program which is carried on a laptop to each set. The first part of the program is the channel map. The second part sets the parameters for the set (what channel is the turn on channel, the max and min volume, etc.) In this second part is the enable other ports. The property did not set the other ports as active (strange item, probably did not know to do it.)
post #15 of 44 Old 07-19-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 197
post #16 of 44 Old 07-19-2011, 08:28 PM

A hotel can get a decent channel lineup via DirecTv or Dish with HBO or Showtime for $15 per month per room. The cable companies will not come even close to that cost. Due to MPAA requirements that HD be encrypted to the individual set, the hotel would be required to have a cable box in each room, another mess. And, with a free standing ProIdiom system, the hotel can cherry pick their channels and build their own channel map.
post #17 of 44 Old 07-19-2011, 08:47 PM

The Philips remote will access the programming screens. However, you may end up with a confused channel map. When we program a Philips, we create a master set using the remote, getting all the tags and channel properties correct (a 2 hour job) then use a thumb drive to load the info into other sets.

LG requires a laptop with the LG software to change the channel map. (new proidiom sets)
post #18 of 44 Old 06-19-2012, 12:26 PM

RESOLVED:

Marriott hotel, LG TV, unable to select HDMI.
Key lock on message displayed on screen when side buttons are used.

Original LG remote control replaced with generic remote, with no option to enter the MENU.
TV model - 32LG300C (special hotel TV).

SOLUTION:

I've found a workaround.

Swith off the TV from remote, swith it on from remote and press 0 (zero) key on remote control several times quickly.
This will change the input source to VGA, Composite, HDMI etc.

For some models, you need to unplug the cable from controlling box on the back of the panel.
In my case this didn't work, and TV won't switch on.

hqq
post #19 of 44 Old 06-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Why would they require that HD be encrypted on a hotel MATV system? Is there any realistic chance that a neighboring property could illegally tap into the MATV sytem and get pay channels for free/

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #20 of 44 Old 06-22-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 89
It aggravates me when you stay at a Hampton Inn and they have a nice flat screen HDTV, but it only displays a SD analog picture, even on the local channels. They could at least have clear qam locals in HD.
post #21 of 44 Old 07-19-2012, 11:15 AM

Can anyone help me find an alternative to buying all new TVs for a hotel? we have Direct TV Head end and need to provide some HD channels to our rooms. our TVs do not have PRO:IDIOM. we are OK with exploring all options and even abandoning Direct TV. there is no CATV service in the area. WE do have all HDTV flatscreens with USB and HDMI ports. would welcome any and all input but the cheapest and simplest solution wins.wink.gif Thanks!
post #22 of 44 Old 07-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
What has worked best for me: Call the front desk and tell them your TV is not working, can they send someone from engineering to look at it? They will ask no questions and send someone, who hopefully understands your request.

Edit: This was a reply for post #3. Somehow the "quote" button did not work.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #23 of 44 Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 PM

The LG that I encountered in London let me press:
- 0 for AV1
- 00 for component
- 000 for HDMI1

Didn't have to power off, just changed the channel using the hotel remote. I couldn't switch to HDMI2 though and had to plug in my Razr Maxx to HDMI 1 for WebTop. The hotel was using the VGA (or serial port) and coaxial ports.

Thanks.
post #24 of 44 Old 09-25-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk View Post

Why would they require that HD be encrypted on a hotel MATV system? Is there any realistic chance that a neighboring property could illegally tap into the MATV sytem and get pay channels for free/

ASK HBO. they and I think ESPN are the main reasons for the Pro IDiom encryption. We went through this at work with the federal agency we have a contract with. They have a hotel they use when training their employess and when they wanted to add HD channels to the system everything had to be swapped out for equipment that was pro IDiom capable. Which added a big expense to the system. It added a few hundred to the TV cost becuase you couldn't use any HD set. Plus the extra equipment at the head end that had to be installed.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #25 of 44 Old 12-01-2012, 12:19 AM

My hotel room is using the un46d6000sh samsung model. Does any one know how I can disable the locks and use the HDMI ports?
post #26 of 44 Old 12-01-2012, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk View Post

Presumably they want encryption to ensure that each room is paid for on a pro-rata basis (and this payment is enforced by individual decryption modules in each room - like ProIdiom cards - which are individually authorised?) If the distribution was unencrypted you would have no means of enforcing pro-rata billing would you?
post #27 of 44 Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 PM

I am in a Marriott with an LG. I simply unplugged the "On Command" box from the power source and all my problems were solved.
post #28 of 44 Old 06-22-2013, 03:23 PM

This subject is an endless issue for me, because our family uses a media player (eg WDTV) and HDD so the HDMI input is important for us when visiting hotels. Each hotel/TV seems to be different. Most hotels have "TV services" that comes up automatically when TV is turned on. You can buy pay channels/shows and various other things. I can workaround those by hitting the "Input" button on the remote or TV (but often this must be done from the "initial" (channel 0?) channel that comes up at TV turn on (the TV services channel). I just left the downtown Embassy Suites in Denver (LG TVs) where they have eliminated "all" TV services (no pay stuff) and force you to watch their channel lineup (likely some cable provider). But I couldn't switch to the HDMI input at all, because there is no channel zero (because there is no TV services menu). It just defaults to what they call Channel 01. When the "Input" button is pushed the TV says "This function is not available now". I tried to reset the TV and also disconnected the cable from the TV. This somehow worked, although I do not believe the "reset" did the trick -- I think it may have been the cable disconnection that somehow brought the "Input" capability to life.

There seems to be a bunch of ways to workaround the "Inputs" problem. I used the 5-or-more digit codes suggested in this forum, the multiple selection of the 0 key at TV power on, the MENU method of trying to "turn off" settings (in my case all settings were already off and unlocked). All these failed for me. I needed to be on channel 0 for "Input" selection to work, although these Embassy Suites LG TVs in Denver almost defeated me.

It does seem that the hotel TVs indeed are different from home sets, but the myriad of workarounds tells me that, even though I have always managed to find "some" way to switch to HDMI, I continue to be suspicious that soon I will have tried all suggested methods and still not get the "Input" to work.

I like the idea of taking to the engineering guy, but continue to think that, with my luck, he may be of no help either. Plus hotels often put a sheath over the cable connector that usually prevents you from disconnecting their cable (in most hotels, thankfully, this is not needed if you stay on Channel 0). I will continue to try the suggested methods that this forum have provided me, and am grateful that at least one of the methods always seems to have worked for me.

I am grateful for all posters who have posted on this subject, and hope that you continue to offer your newest experiences, as this problem seems to come in a lot of different "flavors" given the latest antics of hotels and their exasperating TVs.

What an endless hassle.
post #29 of 44 Old 06-22-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Look on ebay for catv security tool to disconnect the rf cable..biggrin.gif

Bob

post #30 of 44 Old 07-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here is a link to the LG TV software referenced earlier in this thread...It also contains a link to a site that lets you purchase the configuration cable. Might be worth a purchase for those who travel frequently.

http://www.lgsolutions.com/ftgsoftware/

I've seen this problem in a host of hotels of various brands, but it is nice to see more embracing HDTV. I just came back from a Carnival cruise a few weeks ago, they use an IPTV system that feeds the signal to the cabin TV's. Fortunately they used component inputs (with the exception of the Magic & Breeze, which are HD ready). so it was a simple matter to unhook their component cable and plug mine in. Thought that tidbit might be useful for anyone planning a cruise in the future while we were on this topic..
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page