DirecTV "Searching for Signal 771" help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-22-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

My girlfriend has DirecTV in her apartment. There are two TVs in the apartment, each connected to an individual receiver in different rooms. One TV has never had a problem, while the other is constantly getting the "Searching for Signal 771" error. DirecTV has been to the property at least 5 times. They usually adjust something outside and get it to work for a few days. I can't find a dish for her apartment anywhere outside. They have updated the receiver, but the error still happens.

I don't understand how one TV can have great signal and the other none. Don't they share the same signal? Anything I can do?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-23-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Almost certainly this is a problem with the coax cable. Try switching the two receivers. If the problem follows the receiver, it has to be a problem with the cable somewhere along its path. Usually it is a problem with the F connectors, but I did have one one cable which when snaked through a wall must have kinked in some way and cracked the center copper wire. I finally replaced that cable, and I haven't had a problem since.

SMK
post #3 of 5 Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Almost certainly this is a problem with the coax cable. Try switching the two receivers. If the problem follows the receiver, it has to be a problem with the cable somewhere along its path.

SMK

I could be wrong but did you mean to say if the problem DOESN'T follow the receiver in question, then it could be narrowed down to the coax feeding the outlet in question?

If the same problems happens in the other room that was working fine then it could be a receiver issue I would think. I may have misunderstood your post but just wanted to make sure for the OPs benefit.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Weags,

I was thinking the same thing. I think he meant to write "if it doesn't follow..."

This is a good first step to take, but if the cabling is indeed bad, how is it that the technician is always able to fix the problem for a few days for a few days after he comes? I would figure once the cable is bad, it's always bad, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for your posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-24-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I apologize. Yes, if it "doesn't" follow the receiver. Also, re reading your post I see that D* has already replaced the receiver. In that case, it can't be the receiver.

It is very possible that there is a loose connector or a bad wire which makes partial contact and then loses contact again. I had something similar myself. I was losing a signal on one satellite which was restored every time I worked on it. I would tighten and check the connectors but didn't replace them, and I assumed the problem was with the satellite's LNBs or multiswitch. Instead, it was a bad connector that finally pulled off in my hand the last time I tried playing around with it. Water had gotten in, and it had corroded but not where the copper wire stuck out but under the crimp. Since then, I use compression fittings and have never had a problem.

It is possible that the problem is not the connector itself, but it could be another place in the wire where the central copper wire has broken. For example, it may be broken near the satellite. Moving the wire may temporarily move the pieces into approximation that is then lost when wind moves the wire even a little bit.

SMK
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page