Hi. Hoping for a little help please
Issue: Trying to capture OTA HD Channels in Issaquah, WA 98027
A. I live in close to Jak's Grill 28 Front Street North
B. Have tried the following indoor antenna listed below:
1. Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV
2. RCA AMP1450R Digital Amplifier for Indoor Antenna
3. ChannelMaster 4040 Indoor UHF Antenna
4. Phillips Indoor Amplified Uhf/vhf/fm/hd
None of these options provided HD digital signal - I am unable to install an outdoor antenna unless it can mount easily on a deck (I'm renting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-13-2011, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just based on you info which is not as accurate as you exact address I can tell you that an indoor antenna will not work. You live in a part of town where the signal gets blocked by hills so even an outdoor antenna you might not get more than couple of channels.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
This is very tough nut to crack. Not only is the apartment an issue, but you also need VHF-high for 3 of your stations. So you need a small 7-51 antenna, like the RCA 751, Winegard 7694, or Antennacraft HBU 22. Rabbit ears and indoor loops aren't gonna cut it with noise margins that low.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...03d926ea24c3fa

You didn't say what floor you are on, so I used the default 10 foot height. More height doesn't really help much because of Cougar Mountain being in the way- the farther north you are from Jak's Grill, the better. You would want to tilt the antenna upwards so that it points at the hoizon (the aforementioned Cougar Mountain). If your deck is on the north or east side of the building, that would probably be the best spot. But if the deck doesn't have a view to the northeast, a window that faces north or east might work better than the deck.
A preamplifier is probably a good idea if you have any more than 15 feet of cable from the antenna. You can't afford to lose any signal in the cable.
A diy Gray-Hoverman might work for you, if you have the inclination to build. The G-H does great on VHF-high channels and has a vertical form, which generally is easier to deal with on a balcony or hanging in front of a window.
It should be possible to get everything down to the NBC, but you may have to tee off your landlord to get there.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-13-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Wow....I knew I was screwed but didn't realize "how" screwed...
I really appreciate the insight. I'll research the great options and will let you know if I have any luck. Thanks for the help. I'm totally open to all suggestions!
post #5 of 10 Old 07-14-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I would buy the ANT 751 at a place you can easily return it, like Lowes or HD. It is certainly worth a shot.
Try it without an amp using a short coax to one TV and see what you get.
I think LithOTA meant point the antenna NW, as that is where most of your stations are per tvfool
post #6 of 10 Old 07-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here is the terrain profile between the KING transmitter, on the left, and Issaquah, on the right:

And here is the coverage map for KING:

Quote:

In very rough terms, the colors can be broken down as follows (not related to Antennaweb):
- White is extremely strong. Beware of signal overload on amps.
- Red-yellow-green are all quite strong. You can expect reasonable coverage with an indoor antenna.
- Cyan is where it's advisable to move the antenna up to the second floor or attic.
- Blue is where it's probably necessary to install a good antenna on the roof.
- Purple is quite weak and you really have to work at it for any chance of reception.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #7 of 10 Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah that mountain is quite an obstacle. As I said, if she's north of Jak's, the signal path has it a little easier (glancing the north slope of the mountain). If she is south of Jak's, it just gets harder. If you go to the location on Google Earth, tilt down the view and look WNW, Cougar Mountain looks HUGE to my Flatlander eye.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-15-2011, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a similiar situation at my summer home in upstate NY in the Catskills. I have 2 edge reception at about 19 miles away from the towers, but I am able to get all the stations pretty good. So hopefully the OP can get a good signal too.

Make sure you use RG6 cable for minimum signal loss.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-15-2011, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

@ Rabbit73 - thanks for that picture/detail - I really appreciate the info from everyone. I just received the ANT751 that mikepier suggested. Wish me luck - installing tomorrow. Thanks for the coax reminder - will do. About location- Unfortunately i am on the third floor and about two blocks south of Jack's Grill in issaquah, WA 98027 - worst case scenario here - im right in the valley of these mountains....However, I'm up for the challenge!!!!
post #10 of 10 Old 07-31-2011, 10:17 AM

I just moved to the same area of Issaquah as Latingirl, behind the fish hatchery . Clark St .I tried an indoor ant on the ground floor of a condo and nothing - no signal -. Tell me she found a solution . I dont want to pay for cable -
lesbeigel@gmail.com
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page