IR Receiver for LG LST-4600A - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 07-25-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just bought one of these boxes off eBay. Guess I should have done a little more research into it before purchasing, but what's done is done I guess. The manual was quite ambiguous and unclear anyway.
Quote:

If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

I made an offer for significantly less than the Buy It Now price and the seller accepted. Got it today just to realize that it is virtually useless to me, as it did not include this infrared remote sensor. It does power on but there are no control buttons on it.

I've read up on it and it seems that these units were used in hotels and the like. I've looked up the part number that this person mentioned: http://dig-b.blogspot.com/2007/09/ge...lst-4600a.html
Okay, so I have to buy a IR receiver for it and then try universal remote codes for LG and Zenith. Not a problem so far, right?

Well I looked up the part number and it seems that this part is nowhere to be found anymore. Not on eBay, not on the suppliers listed on LG's website. Finally I found it at APWagner, so I ordered it, just to get a e-mail shortly thereafter telling me that it's backordered, with no estimated delivery date or anything.

I haven't actually called LG's support line yet, but based on my results so far I doubt I'll have any luck there. I'm just concerned that this APWagner is going to have my order PERMANENTLY backordered because THEY won't be able to get the part either.

Which leads me to the question, what can I do to get around this? I'm not too familiar with how remotes work and all that. There is a RS-232 port on the back of the box as well as the IR input and output. Please excuse my ignorance, but is there some type of PC software out there that can emulate a television remote control, either through infrared or RS-232? Or am I stuck with hoping by some off chance I find this part someday?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone? What exactly does it look like? Is it just like the regular wand thing like this?

Or does it look more like this?
post #3 of 48 Old 07-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by P719C1 View Post

Just bought one of these boxes off eBay. Guess I should have done a little more research into it before purchasing, but what's done is done I guess. The manual was quite ambiguous and unclear anyway.

I made an offer for significantly less than the Buy It Now price and the seller accepted. Got it today just to realize that it is virtually useless to me, as it did not include this infrared remote sensor. It does power on but there are no control buttons on it.

I've read up on it and it seems that these units were used in hotels and the like. I've looked up the part number that this person mentioned: http://dig-b.blogspot.com/2007/09/ge...lst-4600a.html
Okay, so I have to buy a IR receiver for it and then try universal remote codes for LG and Zenith. Not a problem so far, right?

Well I looked up the part number and it seems that this part is nowhere to be found anymore. Not on eBay, not on the suppliers listed on LG's website. Finally I found it at APWagner, so I ordered it, just to get a e-mail shortly thereafter telling me that it's backordered, with no estimated delivery date or anything.

I haven't actually called LG's support line yet, but based on my results so far I doubt I'll have any luck there. I'm just concerned that this APWagner is going to have my order PERMANENTLY backordered because THEY won't be able to get the part either.

Which leads me to the question, what can I do to get around this? I'm not too familiar with how remotes work and all that. There is a RS-232 port on the back of the box as well as the IR input and output. Please excuse my ignorance, but is there some type of PC software out there that can emulate a television remote control, either through infrared or RS-232? Or am I stuck with hoping by some off chance I find this part someday?

I have the 4200A, the one you would much rather have, with a full front panel. Elektrotanya (http://elektrotanya.com/?q=keres) has a free service manual for mine and yours. I suggest you look at it to see if that box has a built-in IR receiver, hard to believe it would not. Maybe it even has the schematic for the remote dongle.

I bought mine off Craigslist, no remote. I had no luck finding codes for it in universal remote manuals, or the owner guide for any tv I had. I ended up having to buy a real remote for it, but it was surprisingly cheap. There are several companies selling replacement remotes. Google. Widely varying prices.

That sample IR receiver you have there, which I understand is only a suggestion, looks like the one that came with my Comcast cablebox. I wonder if those are somewhat generic.

Tuners like this come up on Craigslist here and there, LG made them, Samsung made a lot of them.
post #4 of 48 Old 07-29-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Took a look at the service manual and it said nothing about an internal IR receiver. The user/installer manual is kind of vague too.

Why would LG do such an asinine thing?

Thanks for the suggestions. Guess I'd better hope APWagner can get it to me.
post #5 of 48 Old 08-02-2011, 06:39 AM

Liked: 10
I am in the same boat you are, probably ordered from the same source on Ebay. I have also did the Google search, LG says no longer available. If you find a souce send out the link. Not sure if this just an ir and connector, or if there is other electronics in this device. If I find a solution will leave here.
post #6 of 48 Old 08-02-2011, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Hopefully this APWagner place will be able to follow through. I haven't heard anything from them yet. (Rando1, see inbox for PM.)
post #7 of 48 Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
If the IR port is a tip-ring-sleeve mini plug type, the generic example above should work and would be well worth trying.

RS-232 is a computer serial control port and if you wrote a program that the unit could understand, it could be controlled by a PC or control system like a Crestron or AMX. Probably a lot more trouble than it would be worth.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #8 of 48 Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Took a look at the service manual and it said nothing about an internal IR receiver. The user/installer manual is kind of vague too.

Why would LG do such an asinine thing?

Because the unit was meant for an industrial application.

post #9 of 48 Old 08-03-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

If the IR port is a tip-ring-sleeve mini plug type, the generic example above should work and would be well worth trying.

RS-232 is a computer serial control port and if you wrote a program that the unit could understand, it could be controlled by a PC or control system like a Crestron or AMX. Probably a lot more trouble than it would be worth.

Thanks, didn't realize that. I thought there would be some other electronics involved that would be brand-specific or even model-specific, especially after reading that website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Because the unit was meant for an industrial application.

Makes sense I guess, but you'd think there would be at least ONE button for something, even if on the back panel.
post #10 of 48 Old 08-04-2011, 06:53 PM

Let me know what you are going to try next as far as an IR receiver is concerned. I'm thinking about picking up the last one on eBay (it might already have an offer pending). Would you be willing to tell what low offer you gave to the seller that he or she accepted?

In your opinion, would one of these boxes be worth it as a home QAM tuner? Do you know where to look for a generic IR receiver if we did pick one up?

Thanks.

- 2 Bunny
post #11 of 48 Old 08-04-2011, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

I did find a generic IR receiver with TRS connector lying around that I got from a Comcast cable box. As soon as I can get to RadioShack ($10 off $40 coupon to use), I'll pick up a Logitech Harmony 600 or 650 and test it out and let everyone know if it works.

Based on the specs and manual, the unit does seem like a fairly powerful unit. Seems like changing output resolution is slightly complicated (under the installer's menu), and a switch on the back apparently allows you to output video only through composite/YPbPr OR VGA/DVI. I'll have to verify that though, have only had a chance so far to test VGA and DVI outputs for what I AM able to get out of it.
post #12 of 48 Old 08-04-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Bunny View Post

Let me know what you are going to try next as far as an IR receiver is concerned. I'm thinking about picking up the last one on eBay (it might already have an offer pending). Would you be willing to tell what low offer you gave to the seller that he or she accepted?

Yeah, there's a pending offer on the last one. Maybe I overpaid, I don't know, offered $25 and he took it. I was the first one. Seemed reasonable compared to what I've seen other ATSC/QAM tuners selling for on eBay (well, except for that one off-brand one I've seen that's $15 plus shipping, don't remember which one it was but I read some bad reviews about it, such as no remote code to be found and slow channel-changing). I'll be kicking myself if I can't find some solution to this IR thing.
post #13 of 48 Old 08-05-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:

I did find a generic IR receiver with TRS connector lying around that I got from a Comcast cable box.

We had an infrared something or another, and I almost thought it was going to work for us, and then I noticed that it was an IR blaster, not a receiver. Do you know of anyplace in stores or on the internet I might be able to get a receiver? Could a blaster work in place of a receiver?

Quote:

Yeah, there's a pending offer on the last one. Maybe I overpaid, I don't know, offered $25 and he took it. I was the first one. Seemed reasonable compared to what I've seen other ATSC/QAM tuners selling for on eBay (well, except for that one off-brand one I've seen that's $15 plus shipping, don't remember which one it was but I read some bad reviews about it, such as no remote code to be found and slow channel-changing). I'll be kicking myself if I can't find some solution to this IR thing.

I think I know that $15 one you're talking about. It was a CELabs HD100AQ. Apparently it has no remote, and with no remote codes, there's not a whole heck of a lot we can do. The seller still hasn't acknowledged the current offer yet, so if I can find out for sure what other costs are involved (like the receiver and the remote - only we would be needing to pick up a real universal remote anyway like you were talking about), I might see if we could put in an offer on that.

Quote:

Based on the specs and manual, the unit does seem like a fairly powerful unit. Seems like changing output resolution is slightly complicated (under the installer's menu), and a switch on the back apparently allows you to output video only through composite/YPbPr OR VGA/DVI. I'll have to verify that though, have only had a chance so far to test VGA and DVI outputs for what I AM able to get out of it.

Yep. I located that 2007 blog post that you linked to, and that information should be enough to get us through the essential "installers' menu" setup and stuff. The "switch" thing shouldn't be a problem for us as we only plan on using it on one display through the component ports.

Keep us posted on what you find out. Thanks for the information.

- 2 Bunny
post #14 of 48 Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Here is one source of IR Receiver modules. They average about $1 each.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...eceiver%20TSOP

Quote:
Could a blaster work in place of a receiver?

No, a 'blaster' is an IR LED. A receiver contains a photodiode, bandpass filter and demodulator.
post #15 of 48 Old 08-05-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

Here is one source of IR Receiver modules. They average about $1 each.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...eceiver%20TSOP

So I could buy one of those and splice it onto a 3.5MM cable and use it with that LG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

No, a 'blaster' is an IR LED. A receiver contains a photodiode, bandpass filter and demodulator.

Gotcha. That's what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks.

- 2 Bunny
post #16 of 48 Old 08-06-2011, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Got the Logitech Harmony 650, synced it for LG LST-4600A, connected the IR thing I have to REMOTE IN on the box. Remote is doing nothing.

Not sure if it's a problem with the remote (very well could be, as many of the preloaded commands are completely irrelevant to the 4600A, such as Eject, Next Track, Test Tone, etc.) or if it's with the IR receiver.
post #17 of 48 Old 08-06-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Got the Logitech Harmony 650, synced it for LG LST-4600A, connected the IR thing I have to REMOTE IN on the box. Remote is doing nothing.

Not sure if it's a problem with the remote (very well could be, as many of the preloaded commands are completely irrelevant to the 4600A, such as Eject, Next Track, Test Tone, etc.) or if it's with the IR receiver.
Are you sure it is a receiver and not an IR "blaster"?

- 2 Bunny
post #18 of 48 Old 08-06-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you sure it is a receiver and not an IR "blaster"?

- 2 Bunny
It very well could be. Just purchased a IR receiver from eBay, so I'll see if that will work.
post #19 of 48 Old 08-12-2011, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Not working with Logitech Harmony 650. I have contacted Logitech and they say they are looking into it.
post #20 of 48 Old 08-12-2011, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

IR blasters and IR receivers are two different things. For your app, a receiver is needed.

post #21 of 48 Old 08-13-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Not working with Logitech Harmony 650. I have contacted Logitech and they say they are looking into it.

Did your receiver from eBay ever come in? To be honest, we kinda found a different unit. A (not nearly as interesting) Samsung SIR-T451. I'll still be curious how the LG works out for you though, so keep us posted.

- 2 Bunny
post #22 of 48 Old 08-13-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Did your receiver from eBay ever come in?

Yes, didn't work with the Harmony 650. Looked very similar to what I had already. I hope Rando1 doesn't mind the fact that I'll publicly share that he PM'd me and said he got his to work (minus the Mute function) with the same IR receiver/extender I got from eBay and with a GE 24950 remote set to Zenith TV code 0121. I deeply dislike GE and would rather not buy anything with their name on it, so I got the Harmony 650, which I assumed should have the proper remote code as it's a better remote overall. So we'll see what Logitech has to say; if they can't figure out a solution I'll probably just cave in and buy one of the GE remotes (and probably either sell my Harmony 650 or give it to my parents).

Quote:

To be honest, we kinda found a different unit. A (not nearly as interesting) Samsung SIR-T451. I'll still be curious how the LG works out for you though, so keep us posted.

I was considering that model but I read that it had some software issues, so I decided against it. I'll probably just keep trying things with my LG box until I've exhausted all options.
post #23 of 48 Old 08-13-2011, 03:21 PM

I can confirm that IR and the GE remote I listed in previous post indeed works, the key was getting the correct TV Zenith Code, you must use the TV function of the remote with the correct Zenith Code. Do not use the SAT/CBL function.
post #24 of 48 Old 08-13-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:

Yes, didn't work with the Harmony 650. Looked very similar to what I had already. I hope Rando1 doesn't mind the fact that I'll publicly share that he PM'd me and said he got his to work (minus the Mute function) with the same IR receiver/extender I got from eBay and with a GE 24950 remote set to Zenith TV code 0121. I deeply dislike GE and would rather not buy anything with their name on it, so I got the Harmony 650, which I assumed should have the proper remote code as it's a better remote overall. So we'll see what Logitech has to say; if they can't figure out a solution I'll probably just cave in and buy one of the GE remotes (and probably either sell my Harmony 650 or give it to my parents).

I was considering that model but I read that it had some software issues, so I decided against it. I'll probably just keep trying things with my LG box until I've exhausted all options.

Interesting. The Samsung just came in today, and I'll start with that it is nothing like what I was expecting - for good and bad.

To start, we took it out of the box and it looked really nice (smelled a bit strange, but not terribly bad). When you plug it in, the shiny bar on the front has an invisible "standby" text that lights up in the corner when the unit is off, and when it is on, a cool "HDTV" thingy lights up on the right side. The center of its little screen has your typical channel number indicator which only tells you the primary channel you're on, so for example, if you were on channel 1-10, the display will just read "C 01" or something. Channel scans don't take very long, and it will reboot at the end of the process. The thing is that the channels it picked up did not match up with what I was getting on my Mygica USB QAM tuner. The channels were on completely different numbers, and there were far fewer of them. Only the local FOX network and one other channel came in HD, and they both looked "scrambled" (like trying to watch HD channels OTA with weak signal, only this was with cable). Another oddity about the Samsung SIR-T451 is that when it channel scans, it just scans the primary channels, so if you got only (for instance) channel 12-10, and not 12-9 or below, it would just write down that it found "something" on channel 12, and the next time you wanted to see "12-10", you'd have to go to 12-1, and go all the way through up to 12-10 - very poor software. It doesn't stop there either. The menus are slightly sluggish as are changing channels and the unit doesn't seem to have good IR range with the remote. The supplied remote actually controls our Mitsubishi better than it controls the Samsung! Like other people said, it is brilliant hardware with very poor software that tests your patience.

All that sluggishness and bugginess I could live with if it actually found all the channels. Does anyone know why I can type in the channel number for my local FOX HD network on my Mygica and not see it at all on the Samsung? Is it only a QAM64 tuner or something?

In the meantime, I can find most of the other local channels in standard def, but if you all can get better mileage with the LG boxes and I can't figure this out (and one is still available at the end), I might buy one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando1 View Post

I can confirm that IR and the GE remote I listed in previous post indeed works, the key was getting the correct TV Zenith Code, you must use the TV function of the remote with the correct Zenith Code. Do not use the SAT/CBL function.

If the Harmony can take HEX CODES, see if you can get the codes from your remote for the Zenith television. Maybe P719C1 could benefit from them.

- 2 Bunny
post #25 of 48 Old 08-16-2011, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If the Harmony can take HEX CODES, see if you can get the codes from your remote for the Zenith television. Maybe P719C1 could benefit from them.

- 2 Bunny

Yep, you were half a step ahead of me! Logitech asked if I could get the hex codes.
post #26 of 48 Old 08-16-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Yep, you were half a step ahead of me! Logitech asked if I could get the hex codes.

Cool. Let us know if you figure 'em out.

- 2 Bunny
post #27 of 48 Old 08-26-2011, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I bought the OEM remote off eBay. But I didn't pay too close attention and the model I bought must actually be the one intended for the end user (hotel guest or whatever) and doesn't have all the buttons, including the ever-so-important MENU button. All the other functions do seem to work, but the box is of no use to me until I can scan for DTV channels.

I did also try the Zenith remote codes on my Yamaha receiver's remote which can be programmed to control certain AV devices. I tried almost a dozen different TV, VCR, and cable box codes, which all worked to varying degrees, but unfortunately my remote wouldn't let me access the MENU function from any of them.

So now I'll try training my Harmony 650 using the OEM remote. Don't know if I'll be able to completely do it, but we'll see.
post #28 of 48 Old 08-26-2011, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Works just like it should now! Only thing is that I'm having trouble adjusting the delay. I've tried setting a variety of different delay times on the Harmony but still whenever I hit the scroll buttons it always wants to jump through three or four (or two if I'm lucky) menu options. Same with volume and channel controls, so once I have it set up I might actually just use the OEM LG/Zenith remote.
  • IR Receiver/Extender operating at 5V, 38KHz (at least I think that's what the specs mean...got it off eBay)
  • Logitech Harmony 650 Universal Remote (though it did not work correctly with the settings as-is. Maybe Logitech has fixed it or will fix it now)
  • User remote to program the Harmony 650. LG 6710V00108B (SC652)

Thank you to all who have guided me through this.

edit: lol @ the "To enter the installer’s menu, press and release the MENU key repeatedly until the MENU key doesn’t work any more, then press 9,8,7,6, then ENTER." in the manual. But that is the way to do it.
post #29 of 48 Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 AM

Awesome - glad to hear you got it working. Does it tune all your QAM channels, or is this your first QAM tuner?

As for us, we don't want to take any more risks with tuners, so I think the best way for us to go is to just put together a computer (we've got an old socket 478 motherboard and the USB QAM tuner that works perfect) and plug it up to the telly with its nifty RGBHV inputs. I priced it out, and we can probably make the whole thing happen for around $75, and we end up with a halfway capable computer sitting next to our Mitt. I just have to work out the small details like, "will the Intel 82845GV graphic card cooperate with EnTech PowerStrip to attain the correct resolution and compensate for overscan?" and "will we be able to use the built in IR receiver in the tuner, or will we have to purchase a separate one?".

Keep us posted on the machine, and you might just see me again in a soon to come thread featuring some of the "preview questions" already quoted here . We'll be able to watch actual HDTV on that Mitt yet!

- 2 Bunny
post #30 of 48 Old 08-29-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Works just like it should now! Only thing is that I'm having trouble adjusting the delay. I've tried setting a variety of different delay times on the Harmony but still whenever I hit the scroll buttons it always wants to jump through three or four (or two if I'm lucky) menu options. Same with volume and channel controls, so once I have it set up I might actually just use the OEM LG/Zenith remote.

This doesn't sound like a delay issue, but a repeats issue. I'm not 100% sure how you get to the repeats setting in the software for the 650, but it used to be under troubleshoot, "my device responds to some commands too many times, or not at all", or something like that. Then there should be a setting for 0 - 6 or something like that and the default is usually 3. Change that setting to 0 and it should help you get rid of the repeats (at least this is how I've always done this with my Harmony 880s and Harmomy Ones).
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page