Connecting headphones to a TV with Digital Audio Out? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Panasonic Viera 50UT50 that outputs Digital optical only that I connected to a
Boston Acustics TVEE 26 soundbar that has a wireless subwoofer with a toslink
optical cable. The sound is great but too much for late night Cinema so I
bought Sony MDR DS6500 wireless headphones that also have a toslink connection
to it's transmitter. The problem with toslink splitters is that the signal is
attunated and loss of signal. I am trying a cheap solution for now by attempting
to use a $6.00 manual bidirectional toslink switch. The switch is sort of funky and care must be
made to depress the switch dial before making a new selection as depressing the
dial actually disengages the connection then after selecting a new position allows
a internal spring to reengage the connection at the new position. I find that
alignment is critical so the switch requires a bit of wiggle to assure it is
properly seated in the new position.

I note that there is a 4-2 powered switch listed on Amazon but there is insufficient
information about the specs and there is no link to the manufacturer.
Does any one have any better information about switches that have a minimum of
2 toslink outputs?
UPDATE:
as an update, I bought the switch which is made by Shin Kin of TW. There is info on their web site.
My harmony remote has all the programming to operate the switch but it also comes with it's own remote.
The switch works like a charm and it was well worth the $. The Direct TV remote is so poor it will not program my sound bar. D* has problems with most sound bars as they are programmed to learn the iinput from the TV remote and Direct TV has codes that don't work, so anyone considering using either a bar and or a optical switch (other than a manual switch) buy at least a Harmony 650 to operate these devices..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 05:23 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMESHARQ View Post

So I have a pair of headphones that were compatible with my old Panasonic Viera TV. They connected to the audio out ports on the back of the TV (red, white yellow ports).

However, my new Panasonic Viera does not have those audio output ports and it only has a port called Digital Audio Out.

Is there any way for me to connect these headphones via the Digital Audio Out port? They've been collecting dust ever since I got my new TV and I'd really like to use them if possible.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:41 PM

We just had direct tv whole house system installed with genie boxes in two of the rooms and found that they only had the digital output. Our new TV only has digital output as well and we needed wireless headphones because we are hard of hearing and didn't want to disturb the whole household which has different work schedules. I researched different forums for some ideas for hookup and then went to Radio Shack...armed with some knowledge... They were a big help and also offered to take it all back if not compatible. I bought the Rechargeable Wireless Headphones, Auvio Digital Audio Coax Cable, Digital-to-Analog Audio Adapter and rechargeable batteries. Hooked the headphones charging stand to the adapter, adapter to the digital audio jack on the direct tv genie and it works like a charm! I might add that I also connected the headphones to the TV digital output instead of the genie to see if it would work and it worked just as well. Since my husband also has hearing problems we ordered another set of the same headphones and they will work off the same setup so we can listen on our own headphones at the same time. Thanks to everyone's response to different forums I was able to get through the tech tangles with minimum stress! Thanks for the question!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:46 PM

I would like to also add that I called Direct TV first to find out how to connect the headphones and although they tried to be helpful, they had no idea whatsoever on how to use the digital output.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:11 AM

My wife has been using digital TV headphone amplifier from Red Whizz which uses the digital output. She is hard of hearing especially around the speech band so the sound needs to be good and volume level high.

http://redwhizz.co.uk/

Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 PM

I just got samsung Un55f7500 it was a gift from my parents has a audio out 3.5mm output and a digital optical
am hearing impaired and need to use headphones to watch TV whether wireless or old fashion wire headphones.
And help much appreciated as this is my first smart tv and want to get right accessories to enjoy it.

Also have a roamio tivo hooked up to this tv as well

thanks in advance!
Old 02-07-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc91nyc View Post

I just got samsung Un55f7500 it was a gift from my parents has a audio out 3.5mm output and a digital optical
am hearing impaired and need to use headphones to watch TV whether wireless or old fashion wire headphones.
And help much appreciated as this is my first smart tv and want to get right accessories to enjoy it.

Also have a roamio tivo hooked up to this tv as well

thanks in advance!

http://store.sony.com/wireless-surround-digital-headphones-zid27-MDRDS6500/cat-27-catid-All-Headphones-Earbuds?_t=pfm%3Dsearch
Old 02-08-2014, 05:43 AM

Hi mc91nyc
The UN55F7500 as you say has an optical digital output, Redwhizz have a unit which converts the optical to an amplified headphone output for the hard of hearing.
Hope this helps.