Connecting headphones to a TV with Digital Audio Out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 07-30-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have a pair of headphones that were compatible with my old Panasonic Viera TV. They connected to the audio out ports on the back of the TV (red, white yellow ports).

However, my new Panasonic Viera does not have those audio output ports and it only has a port called Digital Audio Out.

Is there any way for me to connect these headphones via the Digital Audio Out port? They've been collecting dust ever since I got my new TV and I'd really like to use them if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 07-30-2011, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
You need a digital to analog converter. The cheapest way is to buy a Dolby Digital AV receiver.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 38 Old 07-31-2011, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 356
This sort of thing would work.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #4 of 38 Old 07-31-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Be sure your set has a way to switch (in the menu) between plain-old Digital Audio output and Dolby-Digital output. (You need plain-old digital, stereo output.)

If it only gives you Dolby Digital bit-stream, here's a converter that makes it in to stereo analog audio (left/right):
http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equip...-DD-2-AA.xhtml

They also do a standard D-to-A, without the DD Decoding:
http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equip...UD-2-AAU.xhtml

(They also have a unit that decodes all 6 channels, but it's expensive: $$$:
http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equip...V-AUDDEC.xhtml )

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #5 of 38 Old 08-01-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Some Dolby Digital Headphones, like this wireless Pioneer , accept optical or coax digital audio, and also have an output jack for wired headphones. The wireless DD phones included deliver 5.1 surround, adjustable to simulate various room sizes, and this surround sound is also audible using the wired-phone jack. -- John
post #6 of 38 Old 08-01-2011, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMESHARQ View Post

So I have a pair of headphones that were compatible with my old Panasonic Viera TV. They connected to the audio out ports on the back of the TV (red, white yellow ports).

However, my new Panasonic Viera does not have those audio output ports and it only has a port called Digital Audio Out.

Is there any way for me to connect these headphones via the Digital Audio Out port? They've been collecting dust ever since I got my new TV and I'd really like to use them if possible.

Numerous D/A audio converters will work for this. Anticipate spending at least $60-$80.

http://audio-video-supply.markertek....=grid&x=19&y=8
post #7 of 38 Old 08-31-2011, 10:36 PM

I'm having the exact same problem. What cables do you use to connect to the Viera?
post #8 of 38 Old 08-31-2011, 10:38 PM

I purchased the Gefen GTV-DD-2-AA Digital to Analog Decoder to hook up some Sonnheiser headphones. I used the cables Amazon suggested (I can't post links because I'm new) but they were

PCD Basics Fiber Optic Audio Cable - 6ft
and
3 FT Digital Audio Optical TOSLink Cable Optic 3ft

Neither of them work. They plug into the Gefen but they don't plug into the Digital audio on the Panasonic.

Your help is appreciated.
post #9 of 38 Old 08-31-2011, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thovore View Post

I purchased the Gefen GTV-DD-2-AA Digital to Analog Decoder to hook up some Sonnheiser headphones. I used the cables Amazon suggested (I can't post links because I'm new) but they were

PCD Basics Fiber Optic Audio Cable - 6ft
and
3 FT Digital Audio Optical TOSLink Cable Optic 3ft

Neither of them work. They plug into the Gefen but they don't plug into the Digital audio on the Panasonic.

Your help is appreciated.

Are you saying that the TV has neither an optical nor a coax S/PDIF digital output? What model TV is it?

Deadwood Atmos theater
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #10 of 38 Old 08-31-2011, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Are you saying that the TV has neither an optical nor a coax S/PDIF digital output? What model TV is it?

Both of the cables he purchased appear to be optical digital. He hasn't told us the model number of his TV, but if it only has a coaxial digital (S/PDIF) he can't hook his TV up to his converter.

If the OP would only give us his TV's model number, we could tell him what cable he needs TV -> converter, and what he needs converter -> headphones.

Until then...
post #11 of 38 Old 09-01-2011, 12:51 AM

The TV is

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55GT30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV

The wireless headphones are Sennheiser RS 180 Digital Wireless Headphone System with Dynamic Surround Sound

I can plug them into DirectTV and they work for that only. I can plug them in to the BluRay and they work for that only/ I was told I needed the Gefen if I wanted the headphones to work with both.
post #12 of 38 Old 09-01-2011, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

My TV model is TC-P42GT25. It's last year's Panasonic Viera 3D model.

I am also having the same problem locating cables to use for the converter. The cables all have round connector tips, but the TV port is shaped oddly. It's the shape of a rectangle with one corner cut off and instead of having a round port in the middle to match the cable, it just has a long, thin horizontal slit.

It basically looks like this:

post #13 of 38 Old 09-01-2011, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That looks like the dust shutters on an optical output. Your optical cable usually pushes them open then snaps into (SNAP is needed) to get signal.

Re the different inputs ...

On my older Sony TV, I believe I found the optical out to only have a signal when the TV was receiving a TV signal. When my Charter box or BR was connected, whether by HDMI or component and audio, the optical had nothing to work with.

In MY case, with occasional OTA reception, I found no way to have 5.1 from 3 sources, the BR, the cable box, and the TV. I have 1 copper and one optical SPDIF in to my receiver, so MY election was a HDMI from BR to TV, copper SPDIF from BR to receiver, and optical SPDIF from TV to receiver. I don't have 5.1 from the cable box connected. I think I can use it instead of the TV as the source, but haven't tried.

I find the copyright stuff to impact me heavily; I'm moderately hearing impaired, and used to have a headphone amp connected to my old TV headphone jack, with a selector to hook it to the receiver. Optical makes that much harder.

I really wish that "all" audio output equipment had a fixed stereo out at some level, nominally 1V P-P, with traditional "RCA" connectors.
post #14 of 38 Old 09-01-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, you're right. It does push in.

So can someone please tell me if these would work:

Converter -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sr=8-1&seller=

Cable -

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-D...l_mb_hu_m_3_dp
post #15 of 38 Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Oh, you're right. It does push in.

So can someone please tell me if these would work:

Converter -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sr=8-1&seller=

Cable -

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-D...l_mb_hu_m_3_dp

The converter will work - but your TV must be set for PCM only (no Dolby Digital). You can find converters that will handle Dolby Digital as well, but it will cost more. This will produce a Line Level analog audio output - not necessarily directly suitable for headphones.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #16 of 38 Old 09-01-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The TV is

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55GT30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV

The wireless headphones are Sennheiser RS 180 Digital Wireless Headphone System with Dynamic Surround Sound

I can plug them into DirectTV and they work for that only. I can plug them in to the BluRay and they work for that only/ I was told I needed the Gefen if I wanted the headphones to work with both.

Your TV has one of those newer "combination" digital output jacks that looks physically like an RCA phono coax and inside the pin hole it has an optical output, apparently called "Toslonk/mini" per this cable maker. Maybe tht's a typo!

If you want to connect it to an optical S/PDIF input, you need a special optical cable in the link above, or an adapter such as Panasonic mentions in the manual to feeed a regular TOSLINK cable: K7CXGYC00002 on Page 11 "getting started."

If you want to connect to an RCA coax S/PDIF, use a regular RCA phono cable (ideally it would be a "digital" cable, though).

Since the Gefen can accept either TOSLINK or coax, you have your choice of which way to go.

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #17 of 38 Old 09-01-2011, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I contacted Panasonic and they tell me that there is no way for me to manually set the audio on my TV to PCM. Apparently the audio is determined automatically based on the input device.

They recommended that I buy a digital to analog audio converter that decodes Dolby Digital.

Can anyone here recommend me one? The cheaper, the better.

Would this one work http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-GTV-DD-2.../dp/B0021QBIBQ with this cable? http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-D...=5336055023-20
post #18 of 38 Old 09-01-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I contacted Panasonic and they tell me that there is no way for me to manually set the audio on my TV to PCM. Apparently the audio is determined automatically based on the input device.

They recommended that I buy a digital to analog audio converter that decodes Dolby Digital.

Can anyone here recommend me one? The cheaper, the better.

Would this one work http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-GTV-DD-2.../dp/B0021QBIBQ

Yes.

Assuming that your TV has a standard TOSLINK optical digital output, yes.
post #19 of 38 Old 09-01-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Your TV has one of those newer "combination" digital output jacks that looks physically like an RCA phono coax and inside the pin hole it has an optical output, apparently called "Toslonk/mini" per this cable maker. Maybe tht's a typo!

I actually saw those cables on amazon and wondered if that's what I needed. I'll give it a try. Thank you!
post #20 of 38 Old 09-02-2011, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually saw those cables on amazon and wondered if that's what I needed. I'll give it a try. Thank you!

I'm not familiar with the type of digital audio output connector used on your TV. Let us know if that "mini-TOSLINK" cable on Amazon does the trick. It appears that the G25 series uses the standard size TOSLINK. I hope this isn't a trend.
post #21 of 38 Old 09-09-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hey all, I just wanted to thank you for your help.

I got the converter and cable today and the headphones now work beautifully.

Thanks again! You guys are the best!
post #22 of 38 Old 01-30-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Hey all, I just wanted to thank you for your help.

I got the converter and cable today and the headphones now work beautifully.

Thanks again! You guys are the best!

Do you also have your speakers on? Some have complained of Echo problems and I am concerned because with my Panasonic Plasma I would be going from a digital audio out to 1. a DAC converter (conversion #1 to analog) to 2. The Sennhesiser RS 180 (conversion #2 to Kleer Digital) to 3. the Headphones (Conversion back to an analog signal). That is a three times conversion and since my wife will be listening to the Plasma speakers I am concerned with the possible Echo effect since the 180 speakers are an open design and not closed. Some using the Rs 170 closed design have complained about an echo effect and they didn't start out with a digital signal from their TV (RCA analog out puts were used).
post #23 of 38 Old 01-31-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I picked up the Geffen locally last week, for my FTA satellite receiver. It works fine.
Several channels are now sending audio in both DD and standard MPEG audio, in addition to the PBS feeds that only have AC-3/DD.
I think I paid about $80 for it.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #24 of 38 Old 02-02-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:

I have a LG 50PK550 that has only digital optical out and I'm trying to use a pair of Sennheiser 558 headphones. Will this work for me as well? I suppose I need a coverter to go from the RCA outs to a standard headphone jack, no?

Kind of crazy I need to spend upwards of $100 just to use a pair of headphones with my television...
post #25 of 38 Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corribus View Post

I have a LG 50PK550 that has only digital optical out and I'm trying to use a pair of Sennheiser 558 headphones. Will this work for me as well? I suppose I need a coverter to go from the RCA outs to a standard headphone jack, no?

Kind of crazy I need to spend upwards of $100 just to use a pair of headphones with my television...

I believe you will need some type of amplifier also. The signal from the RCA out jacks would not be strong enough to power headphones. There are several small headphone amps on the market, or you could use a spare receiver or such.
post #26 of 38 Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 AM

Ugh! Good point. Is there anything that includes the converter and volume control in a single unit - sort of like a minireceiver - that I could purchase, which also has a headphone jack - so I don't have to fuss with so many separate things?

Seriously, since when did television manufacturers stop putting headphone outputs on their units? It seems like a basic output every TV should have.
post #27 of 38 Old 02-17-2012, 09:25 PM

Where do I plug in Sony (MDR-RF970RK) Wireless Headphone System? I have: Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver
Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD BR 3D Player
Panasonic TC-P65VT30 Plasma 3D TV
Logitech Harmony One Remote
ProCinema 600 Speaker System
HDMI Carbon Cables & purchased & hooked up by The Geek Squad / Best Buy.
I can return the Sony headphones and buy what ever else might work better.
The speakers automatically turn off when you plug into the front headphone jack but how would I turn off the speakers when using the wireless headphones plugged into the back of the Receiver or will I be plugging them into the TV?
Do I also need a digital to analog converter that decodes Dolby Digital?
I am so confused.
Please Help.
Thank you, for any assistance you may be able to provide.
post #28 of 38 Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetbob View Post

Where do I plug in Sony (MDR-RF970RK) Wireless Headphone System? I have: Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver
Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD BR 3D Player
Panasonic TC-P65VT30 Plasma 3D TV
Logitech Harmony One Remote
ProCinema 600 Speaker System
HDMI Carbon Cables & purchased & hooked up by The Geek Squad / Best Buy.
I can return the Sony headphones and buy what ever else might work better.
The speakers automatically turn off when you plug into the front headphone jack but how would I turn off the speakers when using the wireless headphones plugged into the back of the Receiver or will I be plugging them into the TV?
Do I also need a digital to analog converter that decodes Dolby Digital?
I am so confused.
Please Help.
Thank you, for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Did you read the "manual" that came with this product? Of course not. They connect to the headphone jack of your receiver using the included cable.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/MDRRF970R_US_FR.pdf

No, you do not need a DAC. Yes, plugging in those phones should turn off the speakers as usual.
post #29 of 38 Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 AM

After wasting money on the digital converters i came across TVears digital 3.0 at Costco for $100.00 Fantastic.
On the web they go from $200 to $230 There are 2 models be careful
Absolutely no distortion,humming or reduction of volume(some converters reduced by 90%)
Hope this helps you.
post #30 of 38 Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 AM

U need to get the optical cable adapter from Panasonic.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page