WDTV HDMI digital audio passthrough - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-04-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I'm new here and sorry for this long post lol

I have questions about some issues with Digital audio (DTS 5.1, DTS MA 5.1 / Dolby Digital 5.1)

So I have this weird issue with my WDTV player, its a WDTV Live Plus and I just cannot get the HDMI Audio to pass-through the HDMI out and through the TV and out of the optical port, into the surround system receiver.

My TV is a Vizio E371VA.

Configuration

WDTV Player Live plus---HDMI-cable---TV--Optical-cable---Surround Receiver

No audio, Error message "Not Supported by TV" when I attempt to set up the audio on the wdtv user interface.

Now the weirdness of this whole mess.

WDTV Player Generation 2---HDMI-cable---TV--Optical-cable---Surround Receiver

This works just fine on the same TV. Audio is passed through the HDMI out on WDTV, then passed on again to the surround receiver via optical. (DTS and Dolby are detected by the receiver and logo is displayed)

I have contacted support and they tell me the WD cannot send audio via the HDMI, even though the option is clearly there in the user interface in the Audio/Video Settings area. Also noting its saying my TV is not supported, when it clearly can perform this task, as it does with the Gen2 WDTV.

So I ask, whats going on with this WDTV live plus?

Thanks,
John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncccccc View Post

Hello all, I'm new here and sorry for this long post lol

I have questions about some issues with Digital audio (DTS 5.1, DTS MA 5.1 / Dolby Digital 5.1)

So I have this weird issue with my WDTV player, its a WDTV Live Plus and I just cannot get the HDMI Audio to pass-through the HDMI out and through the TV and out of the optical port, into the surround system receiver.

My TV is a Vizio E371VA.

Most TVs won't pass the HDMI multi-channel output to the digital audio output jack. The digital audio output jack normally only provides 5.1 digital audio when it is generated by the TV's tuner. HDMI 5.1 digital audio will be mixed down to 2-channel digital audio for the TV's digital audio terminal.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-05-2011, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, I have confirmed that My TV can infact pass the HDMI multi channel output to the digital audio output jack (Optical in my case).

It works on my generation 2 WDTV player but not on the live.

There has to be something been done differently in these players, whether that be HDMI version or something, I've been looking into this everywhere, I have a few ideas, but not a single way to get a good fix. 1 possibility is the DTS is copy protected, this flags the DTS signal so it cannot be passed onto other devices, then it could be an incompatibility with the HDMI version or something.

With that said, something is happening different in the WDTV generation 2 and the WDTV Live Plus where Audio output via HDMI is concerned.

Does anybody know enough technical data about the WDTVs to see whats different, because I simply replace the WDTV live plus with the generation 2 WDTV and the whole system works. When using the WDTV live plus, I do not get any mix down (unless I set the WDTV to do so, which I do not want) I get nothing. I managed to force the setting on, and get Dolby Digital to work via pass-through (HDMI), but with DTS, I get nothing.

I think we can definitely rule out the TV and surround receiver as the generation 2 WDTV works perfectly, its the only thing changed.

Thanks,
John.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-07-2011, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for bump, its been over 24 hours though

Any ideas anybody?
post #5 of 13 Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 AM

It is my understanding the WDTV Live and Live+ will only output stereo through the HDMI. It is that way on both of mine and I have confirmed that with WD support. I've heard it is a licensing issue. Maybe because the new players can stream content over the internet though, that is only a guess on my part.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-08-2011, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply janryAVS

I have successfully managed to output Dolby Surround via the HDMI. There is clearly an option for digital audio output via HDMI and optical, the device must do this.

I have been looking into this, I think it may be my TV is not HDCP compliant. I believe the WDTV live plus uses the HDCP where the WDTV Generation 2 does not.

I believe that the WDTV Live plus may be outputting the digital audio using HDCP, my TV not been HDCP compliant will not be able to accept it, its the only thing I can think of and so far its the only plausible explanation.

There is no way someone would invent a player which could not output HD/digital audio via the HDMI port, not while HDMI supports this, it would not be a very smart idea, HDMI supports HD audio so why not utilize the technology.

Reading up on HDCP, If any device outputs hdcp audio via hdmi, any non supporting HDTV's are not going to be able to use it.

What I do not understand is why, I do not understand how this is protecting anything. Its probably just a way to make everybody buy new compatible hardware so the big companies can make more money.

About contacting support, I can confirm that WD and Vizio support must lack some brain cells or something.

WD support

The player does not support digital output via HDMI.

This does not make sense, there is an option in the audio/video settings for this very feature, "digital pass-through via HDMI only".

If the WDTV does not support this, why does this option exist, oh yes, that's right, wd support do not know anything about their products.

Vizio Support.

None of our HDTVs support digital pass-through with HDMI.

Wrong, I have made this work with my WDTV generation 2 device and can gather any other devices (non hdcp) and make it work also.

Once again, support has no clue

With the above said, can we really confirm anything by contacting support.

EDIT

http://www.vizio.com/e371va.html#support

Apparently my TV does support HDCP, damn.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-08-2011, 10:26 AM

If you've been able to get 5.1 sound through the HDMI cable on a Live or Live+, I'd certaily like to know how. I remember the wording in the email I received from WD support was poor, but I do think it was saying they do not support 5.1, only 2.0 through HDMI. I've read the same on their on support forums.

As far as your Vizio is concerned, I have no doubt it will pass through 5.1 sound. Mine does, but it not through HDMI. It is with a S/PDIF cable only.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-08-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you've been able to get 5.1 sound through the HDMI cable on a Live or Live+, I'd certaily like to know how. I remember the wording in the email I received from WD support was poor, but I do think it was saying they do not support 5.1, only 2.0 through HDMI. I've read the same on their on support forums.

As far as your Vizio is concerned, I have no doubt it will pass through 5.1 sound. Mine does, but it not through HDMI. It is with a S/PDIF cable only.

It only works with Dolby surround, not DTS.

Configure your wiring like this

WDTV Live/Live+ --HDMI cable--TV--Optical Cable--Surround Receiver.

Go to the Settings in the WDTV, Settings--Audio/Video-

Go to the bottom option, "Audio output", press ok on that option.

"Choose Digital Pass-Through via HDMI Only", Press Auto, if it says TV not supported, press manual, check all the audio types then click "finish".

Finally, play something that has 5.1 surround, only Dolby digital (AC3) not DTS.

Please post your findings.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-09-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Wonders if a HDCP compliant HDMI cable is a myth or not, if so it could be the issue...

HDCP compliant HDMI cables are real, or just a gimmick to sell more cables?
post #10 of 13 Old 08-11-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wonders if a HDCP compliant HDMI cable is a myth or not, if so it could be the issue...

HDCP compliant HDMI cables are real, or just a gimmick to sell more cables?

Does anyone know if HDCP compliant HDMI cables are a myth?
post #11 of 13 Old 08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Does anyone know if HDCP compliant HDMI cables are a myth?

You might get a response in the dedicated HDMI forum here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=168
post #12 of 13 Old 11-06-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:

It only works with Dolby surround, not DTS.

Configure your wiring like this

WDTV Live/Live+ --HDMI cable--TV--Optical Cable--Surround Receiver.

Go to the Settings in the WDTV, Settings--Audio/Video-

Go to the bottom option, "Audio output", press ok on that option.

"Choose Digital Pass-Through via HDMI Only", Press Auto, if it says TV not supported, press manual, check all the audio types then click "finish".

Finally, play something that has 5.1 surround, only Dolby digital (AC3) not DTS.

Please post your findings.

I was having the same problem after working previously. I tried this and it is now working again!
post #13 of 13 Old 11-06-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by janryAVS View Post

Pretty certain that I got my WDTV Live to output Dolby True HD from an m2ts file - and had no major problems getting DD/DTS from DVD VIDEO_TS and ISOs over HDMI either. This was a while ago - haven't use my WDTV Live for a while.

(Never got DTS-HD over HDMI though.)

This was all into an Onkyo SR 606 AVR.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page